Is there an oil life monitor?

I haven't found one, neither has the dealer (a note on my local dealer:  they seem somewhat clueless about the c-max.).  But on another post about oil changes, someone mentioned the monitor.  In the past decade, I haven't owned a vehicle that doesn't have an oil life monitor.  The dealer said that an icon would pop up on the dash when it was time to change the oil.  ??   I am over 8,000 miles now.  No icon yet.  I guess I'll wait until 10,000 miles unless someone here knows if there is a monitor and can tell me where it is. 

Thanks for your help.

Frankly, I'd never go 10,000 miles or one year with only one oil change, but here's what the Owners Manual says:

Protecting Your Investment

Maintenance is an investment that pays dividends in the form of

improved reliability, durability and resale value. To maintain the proper

performance of your vehicle and its emission control systems, it is

imperative that scheduled maintenance be completed at the designated

intervals.

C-MAX full hybrid vehicles are equipped with an information display

which indicates the proper oil change service interval; the interval is up

to one year or 10000 miles (16000 kilometers). When ENGINE OIL

CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED appears in the information

display, it’s time for an oil change; the oil change must be done within

two weeks or 500 miles (800 kilometers) of the ENGINE OIL CHANGE

DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message appearing. The oil life

monitoring system must be reset after each oil change. See Engine oil

check in the Maintenance chapter.

If your information display is prematurely reset or becomes inoperative,

you should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5000 miles

(8000 kilometers) from your last oil change. Never exceed one year or

10000 miles (16000 kilometers) between oil change intervals.

C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid vehicles are equipped with the

Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor (IOLM) system which shows a message in

the information display at the proper oil change service interval; this

interval may be up to two years or 20000 miles (32000 kilometers).

When ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED appears

in the information display, it’s time for an oil change; the oil change must

be done within two weeks or 500 miles (800 kilometers) of the ENGINE

OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message appearing. The

Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor must be reset after each oil change. See

Engine oil check in the Maintenance chapter.

If your information display is prematurely reset or becomes inoperative,

you should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5000 miles

(8000 kilometers) from your last oil change. Never exceed two years or

20000 miles (32000 kilometers) between oil change intervals.

Your vehicle is very sophisticated and built with multiple complex

performance systems. Every manufacturer develops these systems using

different specifications and performance features. That is why it is

important to rely upon your dealership to properly diagnose and repair

Don't forget :rockon: that 10000 miles ON the odometer does not = 10000 miles on the gas engine, probably 7 to 8000 on the motor.

Evidently there is an oil monitor we just can't see it.

PG 129 "InformationDisplays" of the owners manual.

Oil Change Required           Displays when the engine oil life is

depleted and requires a change.

Change Engine Oil Soon     Displays when the engine oil life

requires a change soon.

PG 281 of the owners manual shows how to reset it when you change your oil.

Edited by wab

• 5 months later...

This is what the shop manual says:

The message center provides an oil change minder to inform the driver that an oil change is required. The duration of the interval between oil changes is calculated in the PCM and varies due to driving conditions. The PCM assumes a base mileage of 16,090 km (10,000 mi) or 1 year for normal driving. However, this number is adjusted down for conditions such as high engine temperature, high engine rpm, use of flex fuel and possibly low oil level.

It has a monitor. You just can't access it's info like on a GM. I have the Ford IDS scan tool.

Here's a screen shot showing the % remaining.

attachicon.gif20130920_120319.jpg

Very cool -thanks for sharing.  I wonder why, with all the other technical sophistication of this car, Ford chose not to have that countdown (% remaining) display, like all GM cars have since the mid 90s

• 1 month later...

Just bought a 2013 c-max...it has been re programmed for better mpg etc. before I purchased.. so far it is performing very well.

I assume Ford's spec for the 2014 c-max concerning oil will be 0W-20 semi- or full synthetic.....could result in a 2% improvement. As a tech. I think ICE engines should be "broken-in" with conventional/semi synthetic oil, then changed over to full synthetic. I always changed oil/filter on new engines between 1200-1500 miles....rings are seated by then. Then switch to full synthetic if you want.

• 1 year later...

You guys need to quit living in the '60s. Modern engines do NOT need to be broken it. They are manufactured with better materials and oil is much better than it used to be. If the manual says change at 10k, you are totally safe in doing so. If you drive a hybrid, generally you are interested in the environment. Changing your oil more often than required just puts more oil out there that needs to be disposed of. Fact, the car that has been driven the longest on the original motor/transmission is a Volvo with 1.4 million miles on it. What does he do special to maintain it? Nothing. He follows the factory recommendations (as you all should). Quit wasting resources. You bought a hybrid. That's a good start. Now start saving the planet in other ways. Like not changing your oil before it's called for. You aren't making your vehicle last any longer and you are wasting resources.

You guys need to quit living in the '60s. Modern engines do NOT need to be broken it. They are manufactured with better materials and oil is much better than it used to be. If the manual says change at 10k, you are totally safe in doing so. If you drive a hybrid, generally you are interested in the environment. Changing your oil more often than required just puts more oil out there that needs to be disposed of. Fact, the car that has been driven the longest on the original motor/transmission is a Volvo with 1.4 million miles on it. What does he do special to maintain it? Nothing. He follows the factory recommendations (as you all should). Quit wasting resources. You bought a hybrid. That's a good start. Now start saving the planet in other ways. Like not changing your oil before it's called for. You aren't making your vehicle last any longer and you are wasting resources.

The oil change indicator can come on as early as 5000 miles for severe conditions, and oil is recycled (at least here in CA).

Also, my owner manual has the following warning about breaking in the engine, on page 184:

BREAKING-IN

You need to break in new tires for

approximately 300 miles (480

kilometers). During this time, your vehicle

may exhibit some unusual driving

characteristics. The engine also needs to

break in. Avoid hard accelerations and

driving too fast for the first 1000 miles

(1600 kilometers). If possible, avoid

carrying heavy loads up steep grades

during the break-in period.

Edited by stevedebi

You guys need to quit living in the '60s. ...the car that has been driven the longest ...

... is a 1966 Volvo P1800. Our cars are too new???

I've been doing oil analysis since the second change, and just posted the latest data. Intervals are about 10K and the TBN data says there's not much left in the oil at that point. We'll see if actual premium brand oil works any differently.

Have fun,

Frank

Last night I noticed on the Bristol Race Mobil was advertising up to 15Kmi. on a oil change with Mobil 1.  This is what their site Has for CMAX:  

"Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 5W-20 viscosity and oil that meets Ford WSS-M2C945-A. We offer these motor oils to help protect your vehicle.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20

Advanced full synthetic formulation that provides outstanding wear protection to extend engine life Guarrenteed protection for up to 15,000 miles"

:)

Paul

Edited by ptjones