Insurance Discounts for C-MAXers

Riddley

We bought our C-MAXs because we wanted a decent ride and great fuel efficiency. Some also want the reduced carbon footprint. And I'll own up to really digging the cerebral/geek aspects of this new car (all the gauges and tech).

Most hybrid drivers drive carefully to see how well they can do with MPG. One member on the forums said most of the techniques used resemble defensive driving techniques. Insurance companies have started to notice that hybrid drivers tend to be more responsible, and perhaps drive less recklessly. For that reason, some insurance companies have been offering a discount (~10%) to Hybrid owners.

Don't forget to ask your insurance agent if they offer a discount. You deserve it!

I did some research on this and found a few very old articles, and references to discounts on Travelers and Farmers websites.

Blog post: http://www.thetruthaboutinsurance.com/hybrid-car-insurance-discount/

Travelers: https://www.travelers.com/personal-insurance/auto-insurance/discounts-advantages/hybrid-auto.aspx

Farmers:  http://www.farmers.com/washington_insurance_discounts.html

Request: If you are getting a hybrid discount now, or find out that you quality for one, please report back here.

Edited by Riddley

I had Farmers and current renewal was $834 / year (2 vehicles) with hybrid discount.  I switched to GEICO for $699 per year (no hybrid discount) but now have full glass with less comprehensive deductible and Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI) coverage on the C-Max.  So much for the hybrid discount.  

For full disclosure my homeowners and umbrella are now $80 more than Farmers.  So, switching to GEICO saved $56 a year and also allowed me to get full glass which Farmers wanted IIRC about $100 a year for 2 vehicles and to buy MBI on the C-Max. Farmers does not offer MBI.

Bottom line: no question ask for a hybrid discount but still shop around.  Simply because there is a discount for hybrids doesn't mean that insurance will be the best buy. ;)

EDIT: Also, although the "hybrid discount" might be 10%, IIRC it does not apply to all coverages.  

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

I just callen my ins co (Travellers) to ask about this.  I was expecting to hear that such discount is not available in NC.  Surprise! They said I am already getting a "hybrid discount" as noted in my policy declarations, but that the specific amount of the discount is not noted anywhere - it's just factored into the rate for my C-Max.  So it's hard to tell if there is a real discount or not.

I started asking about the regular Civic and the hybrid Civic, and the agent said to me that other factors besides the hybrid discount factor into the ins rate for each of these vehicles.  This made sense to me because the hybrid Civic has a lot of features and parts (such as the hybrid battery, electric motor and all things related to them) that the regular Civic does not and all of these need to be factored into setting the ins rate for the hybrid Civic.

Does anyone who is getting a "hybrid discount" on their C-Max ins have a specific dollar amount for the discount listed on their policy or bill?

There's no line item on my Farmer's statement for the hybrid discount.  But my Farmer's auto premium dropped $60 a year by switching from my 2009 Jetta to my C-Max.  The agent indicated that almost all was due to a hybrid drivers discount.  If I back calculate what the discount might be, it works out to be as much as 15% hybrid discount.

The Geico CSA told me that there was no per se hybrid discount but indicated that if hybrid drivers have lower claims then that would be factored into the premium.  

My carrier is GEICO.  I just got a quote for going from a 2004 Nissan Murano SL to an SEL303A.  I don't yet have a VIN, so there could be a final adjustment to what they told me, I suppose. 

Anyway, my premium went up about $100 per year.  I was told that this is only because I was driving a nearly 10 year old car, and that the premium raise factors in the risk for them having to pay to replace a new C-MAX, in case of damage to the vehicle in an accident.

I did not specifically discuss a "hybrid discount" with the agent.

We're with Farmer's and did get the hybrid discount. Our insurance went up a little overall, but it went up less than we were expecting thanks to the discount. The previous car was 16 years old, so we were just pleased that the premiums didn't go up too much.

• 3 weeks later...

Geico doesn't offer a hybrid discount as a discount off your premium total, but many companies do offer a hybrid "discount" in the fact that hybrid vehicle drivers are considered to be lower risk so the liability premium is lower for a Fusion Hybrid than a gas Fusion for example. Since their expected losses are lower on a hybrid than the gas version of the same vehicle then the premium is lower which is effectively a hybrid "discount".

• 3 weeks later...

Stopped by my Allstate agent this afternoon before picking up my new C Max SEL tomorrow morning. We are trading in a 2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited.

The agent said that the rate would be about $30 more for 6 months/ $60 per year more. I was pleasantly surprised by this limited increase in rates.

She said one reason that it was not more was because the SEL has a perimeter alarm.

I just squared away my insurance with GEICO.  I went from a 2004 Nissan Murano SL to an SEL 303A.

I had a quote from GEICO, about two months ago, that showed the premium going up by about $50 every six months.  This made sense, given that the replacement cost of the new C-MAX would be a lot more than a nearly 10 year old Murano.  However, once I provided the VIN to get the actual policy (last night), it seems that my insurance premium actually went DOWN by about $50.  All coverage is the same, and it is with the same insurance company.

They never specifically said anything about a Hybrid discount.  My driving record has remained the same (no tickets, accidents) throughout.  So, I can't really put my finger on the reason for the insurance premium reduction.  I have no idea if it has to do with being a hybrid.

Hey, I am not complaining!  :)

You get what you pay for.  What is your agent's name at GEICO?  If you call twice, do you get the same answer?  I say, buy your insurance local.    If your company offers a hybrid discount, it will be applied without requesting it.  NOW PAY CLOSE ATTENTION.... Does your policy include replacement coverage for your vehicle in case of a total loss?   Does your policy pay for replacement of hybrid vehicle parts and labor in case of a partial loss without depreciation?  Does your policy provide road hazard tire coverage?  Does your policy provide emergency road service coverage?  Does your policy provide a deductible waiver for glass breakage? Coverage for accidental airbag deployment?  Trip interuption coverage?  Key replacement coverage?  Pet coverage? Coverage for a temporary replacement vehicle?  Auto loan/lease coverage in case you owe more than your car is worth if a total loss?  and on and on and on....  You get what you pay for and deserve better.   The newest hot item in the insurance industry is a black box device developed by Progressive insurance.  It instantly notifies them of your daily mileage and start/stop braking.  Hard braking and high mileage allows for no discounts or very little.  Soft braking and low mileage allows for up to 30% in additional discounts.  I have been an insurance agent for 37 years.