Everyone that has the keyless system should be aware that there is a way to exploit it to open a locked car, and even drive it off.  At most risk are cars parked outside next to one's home where the key fob inside is relatively near.  I could also see this happening in some business locations.

Here's an article and video showing it happening: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/04/04/high-tech-thiefs-use-new-gadget-to-gain-keyless-access-to-vehicles-in-long-beach/

Basically, this is done by having extended range loop antennas that find the key fob and unlock the car. Most thefts are a few yards away from where the key fob is (inside the house). The car is “tricked” into “thinking” that the fob is closer.

A examination of the process is described in this paper: eprint.iacr.org/2010/332.pdf

Prevention may involve keeping the fob in a metallic container such as offered here: http://www.keyvaletinc.com/keyvalet/keyFob/  A friend wrapped his up in aluminum foil and that blocked the signal from allowing his Lexus to be unlocked.

I park inside a garage so I am not concerned about this, but if you don't you might want to learn more about it.  I don't know if Ford or any other car maker has a way to prevent this at this time, but if anyone has more information it would be interesting to hear.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

• 2 weeks later...