11STiLimited's Member's Journal (updated 11/08/13)

The Basics:

Year:  2013

Model: Hybrid SE

Color: PUG: White Platinum Metallic Tricoat

Dealer Options: 153 Front License Plate Bracket

Dealer After Sale Options: (04/05/2013) Xzilon Exterior Paint Protection, Xzilon Interior Protection, Dent Wizard Plus Service, & Rust Prevention Undercoating

Add-on Accessories (click links to see posts):

~WeatherTech FloorLiner™ DigitalFit® - Grey (Front & Rear) - 03/27/2013

~Recall 13B07 - 07/29/2013 *(Separate thread)

~Sylvania SilverStar zXe High Performance Halogen Headlight Bulbs (Low & High Beams)
Low Beams (Before-Front+Spread)
Low Beams (After-Front+Spread)
(space reserved for before/after High Beam photos)

~Plasti-dip (Gloss Black) covered wheels (TBD)

~Debaged Ford Logos - Replaced with Baltimore Ravens Icons (TBD)

~Clear Bra (Full Front Kit) & Suntek CXP (TBD)

That is enough TBD items, for now.  I have some other projects on my list, but they require a large amount of research to determine feasibility.  That, and I don't want to give away all my ideas just yet   ;)

This post will be updated as I progress through my modification cycles.  Installation instructions/ reviews for certain modifications will be posted in this thread, and linked back to this post.

:wub2: my C-Max.

1fadp5auxdl5040131.jpg1fadp5auxdl5040132.jpg
1fadp5auxdl5040133.jpg1fadp5auxdl5040134.jpg
1fadp5auxdl5040135.jpg1fadp5auxdl5040136.jpg
1fadp5auxdl5040137.jpg1fadp5auxdl5040138.jpg
1fadp5auxdl5040139.jpg1fadp5auxdl50401310.jpg

Edited by 11StiLimited

~WeatherTech FloorLiner™ DigitalFit® - Grey (Front & Rear) - 03/27/2013

Install of these is so easy it is not worth it to type it out.  They fit very well in the back.  The front ones are just a tiny bit off.  I locked the the driver's side one down using the factory mount locations, but as you will see, there is a very small gap around the edges on the front mats.  I am still satisfied with the choice because I know these suckers hold water, not absorb it.  They are super easy to remove for cleaning, too.

20130328152223.jpg

Edited by 11StiLimited

~Ford OEM Side Window Deflectors (Part No: DM5Z-18246-A) - 04/06/2013

Easy install, all necessary parts and supplies included.  All you have to do is scuff the surface with the included green pad, wipe with supplied alcohol wipes to clean surface - let dry 3 minutes, apply 3M Adehesion promoter - let dry 3 minutes.  Now, remove the the red tape, line them up and stick them on.

The worst part of the install being the application of the 3M Adhesion Promoter  It goes on easy, but will cause your fingers to be very sticky (my fingers felt like they were going to be glued closed, lol).  Some serious scrubbing was required to get all the black off my fingers.  The next big thing is that it really helps to have a 2nd set of hands to help hold things in place while you peel the backing off the 3M tape.  That 2nd set of hands also helps keep things aligned during application.

As mentioned in another thread, these deflectors ARE NOT IN-CHANNEL versions.  They tape on, which means they WILL NOT COME OFF without fight and will certainly make a mess of the exterior if you try to take them off.  Be sure you want them before buying them.

I drove around and did notice a little bit more noise than usual with the windows cracked/ open.  It does not seem like anymore noise than is created by any other window vent visors, so I am satisfied.

Full Side View
20130406142027.jpg
Side (Front to Rear)
20130406142043.jpg
Side (Rear to Front)
20130406142055.jpg

~Clear Bra (Full Front Kit) & Suntek CXP (TBD)

(space reserved for install photos)

It was in the 1st post;)  I now have the $$$ for the clear bra, so that and the tint are the next biggies on my list.  Probably get that done in 2 weeks and of course, pics to follow:)

...oh wifey......  :worship:

Mine likes to cross her legs as a passenger.  This tends to put dirt streaks on the center console "kick" panels, lol.

Edited by 11StiLimited

• 1 month later...

~Plasti-Dip'ed Part 1: Front Grills - 05-17-2013

This was my first experience with Plasti-Dip.  All I can say is that this stuff rocks!  Easy to use, easy to clean "over-spray", and a quality looking matte finish.  I have to redo my badges, so they are not included in this update.  I taped off a very large part of the front of the car, but this was because I knew I would over-spray because I don't have a garage to work in and it was breezy today.

Before:

dscn0116a.jpg

Taped off, Coat #1:

20130517173459.jpg
Taped off, Coat #2:
]20130517174713.jpg
Taped off, Coat #3:
20130517180217.jpg
Coat #4 (after tape & drape removal):
20130517191017.jpg
FINAL:
20130517194313.jpg
Before/ After Combo :)
dscn0116ex.jpg
Edited by 11StiLimited

Thanks!

I know what I am doing will not be for everyone.  I like to document the changes my cars go through in their respective forums.  It gives me a diary and a timeline for things.  I will be playing more with the Plasti-dip, maybe with other colors, too.  All changes will be posted here :)

Edited by 11StiLimited

I like it.  I wouldn't have gone so far as to do the Oval, but I like it.  Nice contrast against the car color.  I imagine that this would look pretty great with my Oxford White, too.

This stuff comes in a spray can?

Thanks!

The oval is temporary.  I am a die-hard Raven's fan.  One my Subaru's, I covered the oval badges with the Raven's Head Logo.  I will be doing the same to the Ford Oval.

Like I was saying about the "playing around with it", part of the playing was learning what would cover and how to apply it.  I could have taped off the Ford logo, but that would require a different method of applying the product (Camo-dip method).  It was easier to not mess with the logo for now.  Not to mention I was running out of daylight, lol.

YES, it comes in either pint, gallon, or spray cans.  I used just over 1 can to do 4 coats on both grills.  I got mine from DipYourCar.  They come up in Google.

Edited by 11StiLimited

Car had it's first real malfunction this week.  The USB port is DEAD.  The dealer worked with the hotline technicians and they concluded that a module (I believe it was) needed to be replaced.  Car goes is again on Tues or Weds for the repair.

Sorry about the lack of new pics, it was a pretty soggy day at the game.  I will try again tomorrow.

11StiLimited - way to go mate. Luv the look! Ain't me but I luv the look . Keep going, want to see how far you'll take this  :rockon:

I am probably going to be taking the Plasti-dip pretty far.  It is far too inexpensive and easy to work with NOT to tinker with the idea.

Can you take some angle pics of the front & side, like to see how this looks, if you don't mind.

Also, we all appreciate you putting it all on this thread and on this forum. Definitely good stuff  :rockon:

20130519131933.jpg
20130519131942.jpg
20130519131947.jpg
20130519131951.jpg
20130519132002.jpg

20130521151413.jpg

Edited by 11StiLimited

Hey thanks 11STiLimited, looks really nice. You had me thinking as I sat there having a Smashburger with my buddy and stared at Maxine parked outside...I doubt it as I enjoyed the bling of the chrome. Keep it up, this is good stuff for others and I always enjoy your adventures and photos - many thanks :rockon:

Thanks for the comments, they are always appreciated.

Chrome used to be a hot topic on tuner boards.  Truthfully, it really comes down to taste.  Some people love chrome for all it's beauty.  Others, think that some chrome is nice, but only when used in moderation.  Me, I like no chrome because inevitably it gets damaged due to the fact it is chrome plating and not real chrome.  While I enjoy the sparkle when it is clean, to me it detracts (or adds) to the shape and "feel" of the cars appearance.  With Ford using it so abundantly on the Fiesta. Focus, C-Max, and Fusion, just to name a few, it is sort of common in appearance.  I wanted mine to stand out a little bit differently, so I covered mine.

Remember, this plast-dip stuff peels off.  I can always revert to the original chrome without having any damage.  Granted, the grille would be very tedious to peel all the chrome back to visibility, but it can be done.

Next on the list: Get USB fixed when part arrives at dealer.

Next fun thing to do on the list: Talk to friend about Raven's logos to cover the front and rear Ford badges.

Edited by 11StiLimited

This may just be me griping a bit, but I had to re-dip somethings I sprayed when I did my grills (not all things dipped were shown).  FWIW, take your time on badges with the dip, lmao.  There are all sorts of things you can do wrong when peeling away the dip, if you are not experienced.  I re-dipped the door HYBRID's, but it did not go so well.  It is passable from a distance, but up close, not so much.  I am going to peel them clean, prep the area and dip them again.

still waiting on dealer for USB...

Edited by 11StiLimited

UPDATE: USB seems to be working after the warranty covered Dealer repair.  Their car wash peeled back the Plasti-dip on the outer chrome of the middle grill (stupid brush washes).  I showed the service manager what happened and told him to mark my VIN for NO DEALER CAR WASHES lol.  I will be recovering the outer grill chrome, as well as finishing the emblems this week.  As usual, pics to follow ;)

~Plasti-Dip Stage 2: Badges (removed SE badge) - 05/28/2013

To remove any badges on our cars, I believe I have found the fastest way to date.

1) Heat badge with a blow dryer on high for 1 minute

2) Use fishing line (higher tensile strength than floss), and slide between badge and car to separate badge from vehicle

3) Use your thumb to remove any adhesive that will roll, or ball up, easily

4) Use Turtle Wax Label & Sticker Remover, Completely soak the remaining adhesive for 1 minute

5) Wipe Clean with clean microfiber towel

6) I didn't have to, but repeat 4 & 5 until all adhesive is removed

7) Apply any spray wax or quick detailer over the area that had the Turtle Wax on it, to ensure all residue is removed

20130528183854.jpg
20130528183900.jpg
20130528183926.jpg
20130528183907.jpg
20130528183919.jpg
Edited by 11StiLimited

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wanted to throw in a thought regarding using Plasti-dip since I used it first on my wheels as everyone knows and then I did the large grilled opening cause just didn't care for that cheesy chrome stuff running horizontally across the opening.  Nice thing about Plasti-Dip is it can be removed by just pulling up a corner or edge.  If enough coats were applied giving the coat a nice thickness it pulls right off in a single sheet.   1StiLimited could do this on the Ford Oval if he wanted too.  Comes right off even months after application, or so the website www.dipmyride.com says.

Edited by mtb9153