Weight of C-Max Wheels

StoBro2

In case anyone is curious, the OEM wheels are 22.5 lbs.

This is based on the 44.5 lbs.  I measured with tires mounted and inflated to 38 PSI, not including lug nuts or center caps. According to tire rack, the OEM Michelins weigh 22 lbs., so 44.5-22=22.5. It's a little on the heavy side for a 17" wheel. There are lighter wheels available in the aftermarket. I've always heard that reducing unsprung weight has a whole host of benefits. At some point I may decide to test that theory, but it'll have to wait until I have a sizable amount of un-spoken-for funds available. Truly lightweight wheels can be a bit pricey.

What are you trying to improve? Are you planning to take the C-Max to the strip or track? You do understand that it will be extremely expensive to remove enough weight (keeping the same tire size and diameter) to make a noticeable difference to the driver.  You'll likely not even feel a performance difference with a 10% weight reduction (say 4 pounds per tire and wheel or 16 pounds total).  But you'll like win events against a stock C-Max by shaving a few tenths of second off your times.

Here...thanks for the info StoBro2, I was wondering when someone was going to take on the wheel department. I don't think I've seen anyone other than Donhak   change 'em wheels. Keep us updated should u decide to change 'em wheels. By the way those Michellins are reputed to be one of the best lrr tires, r u saying there are lighter, better lrr tires?

I suggest you read this from tire rack and then decide how much it's worth to spend on light weight wheels vs the FE benefit.  You will be lucky to pay off the lightweight wheels (say 18# vs the OEM) with fuel economy savings. A 5% boost in FE might save you 100+ gallons every 100 k miles or $500 at $5.00 per gallon.  Remember that the C-Max is a fuel efficient vehicle so the % increase in FE due to less wheel weight will save less $ on a C-Max then on a vehicle that gets 1/2 the FE of the C-Max. 

Also, lighter wheels generally will result in a harsher ride, not smoother ride.  

Like, Jus-A-CMax says the OEM Michelin tires are one of the best LRR tire on the market.  You can likely find a tire that's maybe a pound lighter in the same size but you could lose in FE vs the Michelin.

The stock wheels have very low aerodynamic drag. Lighter wheels would likely have a more-open, aerodynamically inferior profile, canceling out the fuel economy gain of the lighter wheel. You might get slightly better acceleration from a dead stop with a lighter or smaller diameter wheel, but...hard to imagine it's worth doing.

Just as a point of comparison, my winter wheel and tire combo weighed in at 41.5 lbs. I'm using 205/60-16 winter tires on 6.5X16 wheels.

I guess the closer a wheel gets to being a solid disc the more aerodynamic it becomes, but there still needs to be a way to get cooling air to the brakes. Didn't the EV-1 from GM and the 1st generation Honda Insight have fender skirts over the back wheels?

In the grand scheme of things I'd probably be better off just shedding some of my own pounds. One or two fewer cheeseburgers a month ought to do it....

A couple of yrs ago I bought some pretty (heavy) wheels.

My butt dyno couldn't tell any difference in acceleration but I could no longer chirp the tires.

I could DEFINITELY tell a difference in the ride and handling my kidneys still hurt.

I could also fell a DIFFERENCE at the pump...1 to 1.5 mpg less...ouch.

The argument that lighter wheels will take A LONG time to pay for themselves is like saying

it's going to take A LONG time to pay for that hybrid.

Tire Rack shows some 25 lb LRR tires.