water trapped in hatch door, drainage hole covered?

jeff-tx

Hey Fellow C-MAX Owners,

I was washing my car this afternoon and while drying the hatch door, I noticed water trapped behind a clear sticker that is covering what looks like a drainage hole.

I pulled the sticker off and let the water out, but I'm wondering if that sticker is supposed to be there, especially if it's keeping water in the hatch door. There was no water behind the passenger side hole, also covered with a sticker. The center of the door had a hole that wasn't covered. 

Do you all have these clear stickers applied on your hatch doors? Is there water behind them? Peel-off or re-apply?

Thanks!
Jeff

post-110-0-25463500-1365363877_thumb.jpg

I checked my SEL hatch and there are clear stickers over both holes on either side.  No signs of water or moisture, but then it hasn't rained here much in the last month or so.  I've never washed my CMAX since buying it in September, but the dealer did once after it was in for service.  But I didn't check these areas since I didn't know about this, so who's to say if there was moisture behind them or not?

I have clear "stickers" on the driver's side and passenger's side "drain" holes, and no "sticker" on the center hole. No evidence of water ever in the outside holes, and have had the car washed 3 times since new in January. There is however a small, white speck of something visible on the inside of the passenger side "sticker." Never noticed that bit before.

Maybe the angle of the hatch design allows the water to flow to the uncovered center hole for hatch drainage?

Thanks everyone for checking their hatch and letting me know. 

I guess those stickers are meant to be there for some reason. I wash my car weekly with a regular bucket and hose, no high-pressure washer or anything so I don't know how the water is getting into the hatch. 

For now I'm going to just leave the sticker off on the driver's side and wait and watch to see if the passenger side traps water. Perhaps it is designed to completely drain out or dry out normally after a few hours. I did see the water right after washing.

Since the sticker covering the driver's side weep hole in my hatch was buckled so there was an opening anyway, I just removed it completely. I removed the passenger side one as well. It seems to me if they were supposed to be permanent, they would have been more substantial. I had a few things that either Ford or the dealer missed at delivery, like a couple of loose screws that should have been holding some interior door panels on, one of the in-the-edge-of-the-door reflectors sitting in the door pocket, the sunglass holder only hinging on one side, etc. And I never got the center console cupholder divider-thingy, either.

I noticed mine when I was doing the walk around at the dealer.  Neither the sales rep or I could figure out why they would be covered, so I took them off.  I haven't noticed any issues because of it and I haven't had any rain water sitting in there.  As someone else pointed out, water sitting in there for a while steaming everything up is probably not a good thing.

We have the SEL bought at the end of November.  I just went to look at the hatch and we have two stickers on--driver and passenger side and a hole in the middle with no sticker.  I will just leave them on until I ask the service guy next month if I should take them off.  Since it seems to be a common theme to have two stickers on and one off, I think there is a purpose to them.

Edited by Laurel

• 3 months later...

I have the identical issue. C-Max SEL two weeks in and I hear water sloshing around inside the hatch door (it has been raining ALOT in Atlanta). I'm pulling the stickers off of the drainage holes now. There's no way that something so flimsy was meant to be permanent so I'm betting the dealer just never took them off. The bigger issue is why is water getting in there at all. I'll follow up if I have and definitive answers.

Cheers,

J

• 3 months later...