Rusty support arm

Damn, that is ugly.  I thought for sure it must be a mistake, but hey when I checked mine, they are just as bad if not worse.  My C-max has never seen snow or a salted road (or a road that ever was salted for that matter).  Seems shoddy, how much does paint cost these days?  :nonono:

Sorry for the crap pics, my camera battery just died and they were the best 2 I could get.

Those appear to be cast iron and if so should be expected to develop rust in no time.  I once believed that protected the underlying metal, but not so.  Judging by the beefiness of those parts, longevity might be in the decades.  However, certainly mention it to the service department next time you're in the dealership. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Maybe rub some light grease or heavy oil (something like rear differential oil) or even some used engine oil after it's been drained on the rusted parts? That should prevent any further corrosion. I do agree it seems strange they didn't coat or paint or plate those surfaces. Not sure if it's an issue here in the desert in Phoenix - I will take a look

• 9 months later...

I was already about to take my 2013 in and have the service manager. I understand that this is cast Iron however as far as I can tell the rust is so thick I am naturally very concerned. There are other parts that require a good fit with this part and I don’t think that having this much rust already built up will make assembly consistent and also down the road I would be very concerned If I need to replace the bearings (as I have had to do on similar ford lines) a problem. They are pressed in on other Ford vehicles of similar design. I would bet the amount of rust I see here would make servicing a big problem. I would bet also that if you don’t think it’s a problem with this much rust I would be very suspicious and bet money that you would not take delivery with this on your new vehicle!  

I am disappointed that Proud Ford Workers here in the US would even think about using a part this rusted. I know I would never do that.

I also found aluminum corrosion all over the bottom part of the motor under the cover that is removed for changing the oil. That looked like salt water spray and was cleanable but still noticeable months later even though it’s not a big deal you would think they would pay better attention to that much contamination.