Who has 3.1.3 Nav and IT WORKS PROPERLY?

I went to my Ford dealer today and scheduled an appointment for the tech to examine the GPS error problem and hopefully order the module.  I prepared a one-page document with the service results from two forum members who had had theirs replaced, the part number of the module, a photo from my screen showing the error, and a link to my YouTube video of the problem.  He attached it to the work order and I think it will help the tech in reaching the correct decision, which is to replace the module.

The helpful moderator Mr Lane has given me some more room, but my Word document with picture is way too big, but many thanks!  I'm uploading the picture I inserted in the document separately if anyone wants to use it.

C-MAX GPS VEHICLE LOCATION ERROR

-----------  C-Max Owner 1 Service Experience:

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/index.php?/topic/1664-who-has-313-nav-and-it-works-properly/&do=findComment&comment=15042

Dealer ordered a new GPSM (Global Position System Module) and installed it today.

Here is what the work order says:

"Copied the info from the old GPSM on to the IDS.  Removed the ICP & removed the GPMS.  Installed the new GPSM.  Reinstalled the IPC.  Downloaded the info back into the new GPSM."

------------- C-Max Owner 2 Service Experience:

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/index.php?/topic/1639-navgps-workaround/?hl=gpms&do=findComment&comment=14849

My service record says:

"navigation system not working properly, puts the vehicle slightly off of actual location and then gives incorrect directions. Cause: verified customer concern; ran oasis found TSB 13-3-11; Performed reprogram of GPSM as specified by TSB; Concern still present; performed pinpoint test for concern found to have defective GPSM; Removed instrument panel installed GPSM and performed PMI."  The part number is: CJ5Z*10E893*C AERIAL ASY - GPS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C-Max GPS error example:

CMaxGPSError2.jpg

YouTube video:  "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqXEC5jLE_Q"

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

ArizonEnergi - wow, brilliant minds think alike - I just scheduled mine for Monday as well. Turns out Galpin has 2 CMaxs with the same exact issue and it has the attention of the manager in charge of the Ford Service Advisors, are on it...kudos to Galpin Ford and I hope they find something in the GPS module itself. I seem to have the same symptoms after the TSB as reported earlier as well - a part time fix.

• 2 weeks later...

parallel roads are know to cause lesser gps units to have the snapback/rubberband issue. it has to wait to know which road you are really on. remember gps accuracy us +/- 15 to 30 ft so if roads are close together it can cause issues,

see here

http://gpsinformation.net/main/rubberband.htm

quoted text:

Later in the trip I noticed that the arrow on the navigation was to the right of the highway we were on and the display read "off route".  I haven't been on enough trips to say that this is a problem because the old highway runs parallel to the one we were on.  Maybe the map is still programed with the old highway.  Are these problems similar to problems that others have?

Edited by salsaguy

parallel roads are know to cause lesser gps units to have the snapback/rubberband issue. it has to wait to know which road you are really on. remember gps accuracy us +/- 15 to 30 ft so if roads are close together it can cause issues,

see here

http://gpsinformation.net/main/rubberband.htm

quoted text:

Later in the trip I noticed that the arrow on the navigation was to the right of the highway we were on and the display read "off route".  I haven't been on enough trips to say that this is a problem because the old highway runs parallel to the one we were on.  Maybe the map is still programed with the old highway.  Are these problems similar to problems that others have?

the built in deviation for civilian GPS was removed about 5 years ago, the deviation now for a civilian GPS service (SPS) as compared to a military GPS service (PPS) is about 3 meters if the civilian gps is well built and calibrated correctly

I have the 3.1.3  Nav, I updated it from the one that was installed when I purchased the C-Max on Nov 12, 2012, the Nav and Sync has worked very good, I just bought the  Sirius for the next year as it ran out on the 10th of May, I had to add the Travel Link to it, to get the Weather, Travel link was only 21.00 per year. I did need to "ReStart" the Sirius via the web site to get it to work,  I checked with Ford and they said there is not an update for the C-Max at this time, but one will be forth coming, (no date).

UPDATE: As the OP, I am GLADLY and HAPPILY reporting my replacement GPS module s working 100%. There was initially a couple of rubber banding but in the 2 weeks I had the new GPS, its been rock solid. I seriously believe this GPS Nav issue is from a batch of bad GPS as those of us who had their GPS replaced, its working fine with our 3.1.3 PLUS there are some with 3.5.1 has the same issue Nav issue.

As such, my advice: if you got the Nav issue, take pictures of it and take it to your Ford Service Advisor and have them apply the TSB and check the GPS. Good luck :)

UPDATE: As the OP, I am GLADLY and HAPPILY reporting my replacement GPS module s working 100%. There was initially a couple of rubber banding but in the 2 weeks I had the new GPS, its been rock solid. I seriously believe this GPS Nav issue is from a batch of bad GPS as those of us who had their GPS replaced, its working fine with our 3.1.3 PLUS there are some with 3.5.1 has the same issue Nav issue.

As such, my advice: if you got the Nav issue, take pictures of it and take it to your Ford Service Advisor and have them apply the TSB and check the GPS. Good luck :)

glad it worked for you, not here though

Since my dealer did the TSB 13-3-11 mine has worked just fine.  No wandering off into cornfields, oceans, etc.

But, by that I mean it is working as designed.  The basic design still sucks in terms of user friendliness and accuracy.  It still calls a freeway exit "A Slight Right Turn" and it still forgets to announce turns on occasion.  Many times navigation to an address is an adventure having nothing to do with the intended destination.

As many have said before me, the functionality of this Nav system is far below the cheapest unit Garmin makes which can be bought on sale for less than $100.