Battery maintenance?

kam

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Page 179 of the owner's manul has this statement: "Your hybrid high voltage battery may periodically re-condition itself to ensure maximum efficiency. You may notice slight changes in drivability during this process, but it’s an important part of your hybrid’s high voltage battery optimization features." Does anyone know what the re-conditioning consists of and what if any affect there is on drivability?

My guess is that the re-conditioning is a full discharge/charge cycle: going all the way down to empty and then filling all the way up to full. This allows the electronics to accurately measure the remaining capacity of the battery, as well as balancing the charge between the different internal cells. As for an effect on drivability, you won't be able to get lots of electric assist once the battery is empty, and probably won't be allowed to get as much electric assist while the car is trying to bring it back up to full. The gas engine will just have to work a little harder for a few miles, but that's about it. This is a guess, but it's an educated one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike B., you are correct. I've observed the reconditioning just a couple times while driving. The first time I thought it was a bit odd that I could not get it into EV when the battery was over 50%, but it was soon clear that it was bringing the cells up to 100%. I have under 1500 miles on the car and I only witnessed this twice so far. The engine does work quite a bit harder with mpg usually around the 20's when it is charging while driving.

Hopefully the battery management system has been fully worked over by Ford, lithium ion is not new, but they are picky.