Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

CMAX OEM tires are VERY efficient!

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   StoBro2

StoBro2

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 213 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationLindenhurst IL
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:Tuxedo Black
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Titanium Hatchback w/handling pkg.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

The specs brochure says 225/50. Exactly where did you see 225/55?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   homestead

homestead

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 377 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationPacific Northwest
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

The specs brochure says 225/50. Exactly where did you see 225/55?

Right here at the bottom of the page

click on standard features

Edited by homestead, 05 May 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   StoBro2

StoBro2

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 213 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationLindenhurst IL
  • My C-MAX's Color:Tuxedo Black
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Titanium Hatchback w/handling pkg.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

That list also says machined aluminum wheels and as far as I know, all C-Maxes have cast alloy wheels that are silver painted. Either Ford changed the tires AND wheels or someone uploaded the wrong info there.

#24 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 2,987 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

Noticed today on TireRack that they have two Michelin Energy Saver A/S 225/50-17, one 93V UTQG 480 AA 51psi MAX(tires our cars came with) and 94V UTQG 480 AB 44psi Max for $9 less. I wonder if they are going to discontinue our tires for cheaper ones. :)

Paul

#25 OFFLINE   Ldcarson

Ldcarson

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 10 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationTexas
  • My C-MAX's Color:Blue Candy
  • Current Vehicle:3000gt

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:16 PM

I just put 4 Perelli run flats on my cmax energi...wanted to have a little more piece of mind with no spare. Haven't noticed any mileage change. Ride is slightly harder, but so far am very pleased.
  • JAZ likes this

#26 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 490 posts
  • LocationUS
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:55 AM

Noticed today on TireRack that they have two Michelin Energy Saver A/S 225/50-17, one 93V UTQG 480 AA 51psi MAX(tires our cars came with) and 94V UTQG 480 AB 44psi Max for $9 less. I wonder if they are going to discontinue our tires for cheaper ones. :)

Paul

Maybe the new tire is lighter and more efficient.

#27 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 267 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • My C-MAX's Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:c-max energialso

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

Maybe the new tire is lighter and more efficient.

With a lower max pressure, other things being equal, one would guess that the newer tire would have GREATER rolling resistance.

#28 OFFLINE   F8L

F8L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 77 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSacramento
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Chevy Volt

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

Paul

You are likely seeing the difference between the OE version of the tire and the aftermarket version. The OE version is designed to specs required by Ford. The aftermarket version doesn't have to use those same exact specs so Michelin tweaks the design to fit their criteria which usually means a better performing tire and longer lasting but likely less efficient since they are not held accountable to CAFE standards. There are many other tires out there that exhibit this dual nature, the Goodyear Assurance  Fuel Max and Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 are notable.

• Smiling Jack likes this

#29 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,987 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

I just put 4 Perelli run flats on my cmax energi...wanted to have a little more piece of mind with no spare. Haven't noticed any mileage change. Ride is slightly harder, but so far am very pleased.

Keep us posted on your MPG's. It will be interesting If CMAX'ers try different tires how mileage is affected. At this time I haven't  read anything that says there is a better fuel mileage tire  than Michelin Energy Saver. :)

Paul

#30 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,294 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

Noticed today on TireRack that they have two Michelin Energy Saver A/S 225/50-17, one 93V UTQG 480 AA 51psi MAX(tires our cars came with) and 94V UTQG 480 AB 44psi Max for $9 less.

The load rating is different, and it tells the story.

Our cars came with P-metric tires; the others are Euro-metric tires. Per Tire Rack, they differ in load rating at pressure, only, but not like they were the same tire - Euro-metric 225/50-17 has 44 lb. higher load capacity at 7 psi lower inflation pressure! That implies a heavier tire carcass and associated higher rolling resistance, at the same inflation pressures.

Conversely, Tire Rack says they used the euro-metric tires for their "Lean and Green" tire comparison, so our tires may be even lower rolling resistance then they found...

HAve fun,

Frank, who'd just getting used to Summer Tires!!

• ptjones and C-MaxSea like this

#31 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,660 posts
  • LocationTN
  • My C-MAX's Color:Oxford White
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

From Michelin, below are the specs for the two Energy Saver A/S tires for the C-Max.  The P225/50R17 93V tire (OE on C-Max) weighs 22.2 pounds with a temperature rating of A  while the 225/50R17 94V weighs 21.6 pounds and has a temperature rating of B.   

Also note the designations under the availability of the tires.  Costco only shows the 94V for $182.99 on their website.  Since I take many long trips at sustained high speeds at high ambient temperatures, I always buy tires with an A temperature rating (even though a C rating tire would likely be okay). 

gallery_167_32_18947.jpg

• JAZ, ptjones, C-MaxSea and 1 other like this

#32 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 490 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

From Michelin, below are the specs for the two Energy Saver A/S tires for the C-Max.  The P225/50R17 93V tire (OE on C-Max) weighs 22.2 pounds with a temperature rating of A  while the 225/50R17 94V weighs 21.6 pounds and has a temperature rating of B.   

Also note the designations under the availability of the tires.  Costco only shows the 94V for $182.99 on their website.  Since I take many long trips at sustained high speeds at high ambient temperatures, I always buy tires with an A temperature rating (even though a C rating tire would likely be okay). 

gallery_167_32_18947.jpg

I just tried to ask Michelin what is going on here but I could not get this website to work.  Perhaps someone else can - I am using Linux.

http://www.michelin....rate/EN/contact

#33 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 700 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

I just sent a request - will let you know what I hear.

Apr 23, 7:35 PM  Still no answer.

Edited by SnowStorm, 23 April 2014 - 06:36 PM.

• obob likes this

#34 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,987 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

I'm replacing my tires today with the original 93V Michelin tires at 50psi. My tires have 65k miles and could have gone to 70k, but I'm doing alot of cross country driving with 4/32" tread I didn't feel safe going any lower. I'm having alignment checked, but have even wear inside to outside and front to back. I think it is safe to recommend 50psi given my experience and the Michelin's max cold temp psi of 51psi. I believe total is going to be around $750 at FORD. :) 

Paul

• ScubaDadMiami and Smiling Jack like this

#35 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 490 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

Not sure if this has been posted but here is a rundown of Michelin tires that might fit the C-Max

http://www.michelinm...ger-car-minivan

I personally favor the Defender, giving up a bit of fuel efficiency and comfort for handling, breaking and treadlife.  (and perhaps also giving up some winter traction.)

Edited by obob, 08 July 2014 - 09:59 AM.

#36 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 490 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

I'm replacing my tires today with the original 93V Michelin tires at 50psi. My tires have 65k miles and could have gone to 70k, but I'm doing alot of cross country driving with 4/32" tread I didn't feel safe going any lower. I'm having alignment checked, but have even wear inside to outside and front to back. I think it is safe to recommend 50psi given my experience and the Michelin's max cold temp psi of 51psi. I believe total is going to be around $750 at FORD. :)

Paul

65K is great.  How many times did you rotate the tires?

Thanks.

By the way, somewhere I posted a link to an article that says that the max tire pressure is for max load, not the pressure the tire become unsafe.  That pressure is much higher.

#37 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 267 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

Paul

Paul,

Very nice tire life!  Thanks for mentioning the pressures.  What are your rotation habits?

I have also done about 70 k on Michelins on other cars, usually with tire pressure a bit above the door jamb sticker values and with MINIMAL tire rotations (maybe twice in the life of the tires), I usually do a rotation only when I observe a noticablly greater wear on the fronts, and I always rotate strictly front to back.  If i see any wear difference right to left (and I rarely do), I figure I need an alignment.

By the way, I see by the picture in your signature block that you have the front license plate mounted higher than the stock position.  you can see that I have mine lower than the most commonstock position.  I think that the common stock position breaks the lines of the grille outline and spoils the "Aston Martin" styling.  I like thee look of yours as well.

Edited by Smiling Jack, 08 July 2014 - 10:14 AM.

#38 OFFLINE   Marc Smith

Marc Smith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 528 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

jack,

how did you mount your tag lower.  my tag is high like pauls,  and I think it looks better low..

#39 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 267 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

jack,

how did you mount your tag lower.  my tag is high like pauls,  and I think it looks better low..

Quite easily done.

I have posted the details.  I will find that post and provide the link.

#40 OFFLINE   Marc Smith

Marc Smith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 528 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

thanks 

sorry for hijack,  back to your regular discussion...

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·