CMAX OEM tires are VERY efficient!

F8L

I'm wondering how the CMAX calculates mileage. I just recorded a record 106.3 mpg on the way home from work. Previous was 98.1mpg. I'll do the GPS test. Even at 5%, that recalculates my best mpg from 106.3 to 100.99. So still a record :-)

I definitely don't rub, not even with family in the car. In two weeks I'm taking a mini-vacation, we'll be loaded down. I can't envision any rubbing though. I was really tempted to buy 215/65/17 tires. The only real question is the distance between the tire and the front strut collars. Its pretty close now, and the 215/65 is another 12.8/16" taller. By my math the tire might touch. And even if it doesn't I'm not sure if I have to factor in any tire undulation. More to follow, so far these continentals are amazing in every way.

You didn't say how far you drive home, for short distances less than 10 miles the SOC of the HVB.  On my 7 miles trip home SOC of HVB makes up to 10 mpg difference and the WT can make up to another 5 mpg. :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

My commute is 28.5 miles home.

Whats SOC and HVB and WT?

SOC (State of Charge) of the HVB(Hybrid Vehicle Battery) and WT (water temp/cylinder head temp)  :)

ScanGaugeII

If you had a ScanGaugeII you could monitor these numbers, unfortunately I didn't have it setup to show SOC.  What kind of mpg do you get going to work? what speeds are you driving home and is there a drop in elevation? :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

I had the P7 tires, they weren't bad tires at all, nice in light snow and relatively quiet.  They seemed "stickier" than the OEMs and my MPG was stuck at 40MPG.  My only issue with those really was that I only got about 30,000mi out of them.  When I replaced, the dealer didn't have OEM tires so they put Goodyears on, they don't seem to be bad.  My MPGs have been stuck at 40 forever it seems but I enjoy the torque of the power split suspension a lot.

I wonder if your OEM tires were different from mine -- I've heard that sometimes manufacturers will fit a different tire depending on the region where the car's being shipped. Turn-in was sharper and dry grip was better with my OEM Michelins, but they lost the plot when the surface got wet. (Not really a problem in year 7 of the drought where I live.)

I wonder if your OEM tires were different from mine -- I've heard that sometimes manufacturers will fit a different tire depending on the region where the car's being shipped. Turn-in was sharper and dry grip was better with my OEM Michelins, but they lost the plot when the surface got wet. (Not really a problem in year 7 of the drought where I live.)

Michelin Energy Saver A/S in OEM size P225/50-17 will vary slightly from year to year, as will the price, due to raw materials variations. Tires are cheap right now. Your description matches my tires; they need heat to give any grip. Wet and snow performance is poor, but dry characteristics are very good, given the life and RR. 

With almost 140k on the Michelins I really can't complain in all weather conditions, Not perfect, but good enough. :)

Paul

Your recent fuel mileage data indicates you don't drive fast enough to wear tires!

Have fun,

Frank

Edited by fbov

Michelin Energy Saver A/S in OEM size P225/50-17 will vary slightly from year to year, as will the price, due to raw materials variations. Tires are cheap right now. Your description matches my tires; they need heat to give any grip. Wet and snow performance is poor, but dry characteristics are very good, given the life and RR. 

Your recent fuel mileage data indicates you don't drive fast enough to wear tires!

Have fun,

Frank

You maybe right. LOL :lol2: Actually HWY driving is pretty easy on tires, but City, rough, cindered and twisty roads are hard on tires. Heat could have some effect too, but I make a lot of trips to AZ so I don't think that is a big deal. :)

Paul

I didn't suggest heat as a wear factor, but rather as a traction factor... they only work well when the slip angle can create high temperatures at the rubber/road interface. It takes very little water to quench that energy and cool the tire in my experience.

HAve fun,

Frank

• 4 weeks later...

so I'm at 46K on my tires.  wear bars are getting close but stil not even with the tread..... and with winter soon to be upon us...  I'm hoping that I can wait on tires.  I'd hate to buy new tires when there is tread life still left in the tire.  but...snow is a different issue with shallow tread...

Sticker shock on the OEm tires.     179....  ouch... 

are the continental true contact  really that bad from a FE point of view?

i just did an oil change and rotated.   and I can't do 50psi.    i've been pretty happy around 42psi I did not measure but i might be at 3-4/32

how big of a hit does the MPG take with the conti's.

hard to believe that I spent less on high performance tires for my impala SS with 275 50 17 shoes than these... for the ford....

i just did an oil change and rotated.   and I can't do 50psi.    i've been pretty happy around 42psi I did not measure but i might be at 3-4/32

how big of a hit does the MPG take with the conti's.

hard to believe that I spent less on high performance tires for my impala SS with 275 50 17 shoes than these... for the ford....

This is from TireRack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Energy+Saver+A%2FS

They don't have Continentals listed in the test. They do in another Test.  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=171

Don't know if this is useful or not. :headscratch:

Paul 

Edited by ptjones

Sorry for the delay, I lost track of this thread until someone else posted.  Yes they installed Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max, they seem to be good all around tires.  I think I get the same gas mileage as on the P7s.  I will be able to evaluate snow performance in a month or two.

What Goodyear's do you have, Fuel Max?  Just to say it again I got 64k mi. out of two sets of OE Michelin's which they went through bad snow and rain storms! :) All the tire tests say they are the best for FE.

Paul

Sorry for the delay, I lost track of this thread until someone else posted.  Yes they installed Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max, they seem to be good all around tires.  I think I get the same gas mileage as on the P7s.  I will be able to evaluate snow performance in a month or two.

I would thought they would have gotten better, running max sidewall psi? I had P6 or P7  on my 2007 Focus and going to GoodYear Fuel Max raised my mpg's 5 mpg. :)

Paul

I'm at 43K and 2 are at the wears bars, the other 2 still have a ways to go, thinking they were replaced at one time, need to look at the date codes and compare. I'll need at least 2 for next year, have snow tires on it right now, so I can swap the 2 out over the winter. i'll keep on eye on them, prices i've seen around $175-195/ea. 

Edited by WNY

post-1320-0-12547900-1480739068_thumb.jpg

This is my most recent data on tire wear (just switched to snows). It predicts I'll have 2mm left at 44K miles on the OEMs, not far from you, WNY. I figure one more season at most, so new tires in 2018. It'll be interesting to see what's out there!

Have fun,

Frank

I'm at 43K and 2 are at the wears bars, the other 2 still have a ways to go, thinking they were replaced at one time, need to look at the date codes and compare. I'll need at least 2 for next year, have snow tires on it right now, so I can swap the 2 out over the winter. i'll keep on eye on them, prices i've seen around $175-195/ea. 

You might be able to find a couple of used Michelin tires on eBay with similar tread depth for half the cost, just an option. :)

Paul

• 1 month later...

OK Fine, they roll very easily.  And dry road handling is good, even though they do start to squeal at moderate turning speeds. But it's not all good.

On wet roads, they are scary.  First wet corner I took in my new CMax and stability control was all there was to save my butt.  I've experienced help from stability control only rarely, only in ice and snow, and in a manner I describe as the hand of God gently pressing on the rear of the car to keep it pointed.  Well, in this case, it was God shoving hard with both hands to get the car around the corner.  Since then I have tread oh so gently in the wet, and still from time to time I have felt a little slip.

From about 6/32" of tread depth, or about half worn, they howl from 35 mph to around 50 mph.  In other words, the most usual speed on city arteries.  The smoother the road, the more annoying it is.

That's why, when I had the opportunity to purchase Nokian Z-line tires at a very attractive price, I jumped at it.  I bought 6, along with 2 extra  wheels from a junkyard, $250 delivered.  I am a snowbird, and now have one extra tire and wheel assembly at each location.  Yes, the mileage has dropped some.  It's worth the extra to be able to drive with confidence, and in silence.  

OK Fine, they roll very easily.  And dry road handling is good, even though they do start to squeal at moderate turning speeds. But it's not all good.

On wet roads, they are scary.  First wet corner I took in my new CMax and stability control was all there was to save my butt.  I've experienced help from stability control only rarely, only in ice and snow, and in a manner I describe as the hand of God gently pressing on the rear of the car to keep it pointed.  Well, in this case, it was God shoving hard with both hands to get the car around the corner.  Since then I have tread oh so gently in the wet, and still from time to time I have felt a little slip.

From about 6/32" of tread depth, or about half worn, they howl from 35 mph to around 50 mph.  In other words, the most usual speed on city arteries.  The smoother the road, the more annoying it is.

That's why, when I had the opportunity to purchase Nokian Z-line tires at a very attractive price, I jumped at it.  I bought 6, along with 2 extra  wheels from a junkyard, $250 delivered.  I am a snowbird, and now have one extra tire and wheel assembly at each location.  Yes, the mileage has dropped some.  It's worth the extra to be able to drive with confidence, and in silence.  

Interesting I haven't noticed these problems, what tire pressure are you using?  I run 50 psi and w/144k mi. I know my pretty well so I try to not get stupid and it's done a good job for me. No complains. :)

Paul