Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Rattles in Front Suspension

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 770 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium, 2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

Has anyone else noticed a rattle in the front suspension when going over bumps or turning? I have mentioned this twice to my dealer when the C-Max was in for the Check Engine Light problem but they could find nothing wrong. It sounds like a loose caliper or front suspension part. The dealer promised they gave it a thorough check out and could find nothing wrong.

The noise is getting more pronounced with time.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   C-MAXER

C-MAXER

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 129 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

Is it isolated to one side?  Unfortunately, the quite running of the hybrid design does allow one to focus (bad pun) on other sounds.

#3 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

Is it isolated to one side?  Unfortunately, the quite running of the hybrid design does allow one to focus (bad pun) on other sounds.

I haven't been able to narrow it to any one side, definitely seems worse in cold weather. More pronounce when turning and going over a speed bump or dip in the road.

#4 OFFLINE   leenanj

leenanj

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 15 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationNV
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

I haven't been able to narrow it to any one side, definitely seems worse in cold weather. More pronounce when turning and going over a speed bump or dip in the road.

I had one of the plastic covers that is under the car almost directly below the driver missing a bolt.

It would make a slapping noise  when hitting bumps and sometimes vibrate at highway speeds.

There are many possibilities for rattles. Try to isolate where its coming from and then start looking for something loose or rubbing.

#5 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 705 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationVirginia
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

I've heard a rather soft but distinct clunk several times when going over a bump or dip in the road.  I think it is in the back but not at all sure.  Haven't tried to investigate yet.

#6 OFFLINE   MADCMAX

MADCMAX

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 26 posts
  • LocationPHILLY SUBURBS, PA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:FORD CMAX HYBRID

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

We have been back to the dealer multiple times for this, but we have a horrible creaking sound that worsens as the weather warms.   It sounds like a creaking frame but it may end up being in the struts or other some other area.  

In fact tonight I have to take it back to the dealer so they can install little microphones or something to measure where the sound is the loudest (it is loud in the cabin) to isolate and try to determine where the sound is coming from.  Many trips back and now they acknowledge they finally hear the noise and are going to try to fix it.  Previously I was told that it wasn't happening, then was told it was normal noise not usually heard because of a gas engine running, and now finally they acknowledge it is real, they do hear it, and they are going to TRY to pinpoint the cause.  

Is this the result of buying a first year model?  I would have hoped that since it has been around in Europe that this wouldn't be the case.  But it turns out, this is just one of the many issues we have had so far.  Nice car, fun to drive, but the problems sometimes outweigh the limited MPG benefit.  

Edited by MADCMAX, 19 May 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   wab

wab

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 927 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Locationnorth texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL 303 with Glass Roof

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

We have been back to the dealer multiple times for this, but we have a horrible creaking sound that worsens as the weather warms.   It sounds like a creaking frame but it may end up being in the struts or other some other area.  

In fact tonight I have to take it back to the dealer so they can install little microphones or something to measure where the sound is the loudest (it is loud in the cabin) to isolate and try to determine where the sound is coming from.  Many trips back and now they acknowledge they finally hear the noise and are going to try to fix it.  Previously I was told that it wasn't happening, then was told it was normal noise not usually heard because of a gas engine running, and now finally they acknowledge it is real, they do hear it, and they are going to TRY to pinpoint the cause.  

Is this the result of buying a first year model?  I would have hoped that since it has been around in Europe that this wouldn't be the case.  But it turns out, this is just one of the many issues we have had so far.  Nice car, fun to drive, but the problems sometimes outweigh the limited MPG benefit.  

Edited by wab, 20 May 2013 - 07:33 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   MADCMAX

MADCMAX

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

Just got told by the dealer today they have isolated the noise to a front strut and strut plate.  Both have been ordered and if all goes well it will be replaced tomorrow.   They are confident that this is the cause of the noise.  I am very hopeful that this will end the concern over what this is and that it isn't something about to fall apart.  Will let you know how this turns out for sure.  Noise gets louder as the temperature warms.  

#9 OFFLINE   MADCMAX

MADCMAX

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

Got a call from the dealer, they have replaced a strut and strut plate and the noise we have had for 9 months is finally gone.  I haven't gotten it back yet, they are working on the bouncing issue.  After pressing the issue with the dealer on the bouncing issue, they decided to take another look.   They said one of the factory new units bounces as mine does, and the other one doesn't.  So they are working with Ford factory.  We'll see if the noise is really gone when I get it back, hopefully tomorrow.  

#10 OFFLINE   valkraider

valkraider

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 624 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationPortland
  • My C-MAX's Color:Blue Candy
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

Ours has so much clunking it is crazy. I assumed it was the regenerative braking doing it.

Maybe I'll have the dealer check it out...

#11 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 622 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

Ours has so much clunking it is crazy. I assumed it was the regenerative braking doing it.

Maybe I'll have the dealer check it out...

No clunking at all on my SEL.

#12 OFFLINE   MADCMAX

MADCMAX

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

Got the Cmax back tonight.  The noise is definitely gone......hooray.  The strut and strut plate on one side was replaced and the noise stopped.  Would show itself more when hotter weather was prevalent.  

The bouncing is not resolved.  Mine does it.  A new one does it.  Another new one doesn't do it.  This is another saga unsolved, but the rattling is fixed and that is a great thing.  

#13 OFFLINE   salsaguy

salsaguy

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,371 posts
  • LocationWhittier, CA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:2012 VW Passat 2.5L SEL Premium

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:44 AM

instead of going back and forth with the dealer in the beginning why didn't you take them on a test ride together so they could have heard what you heard?

#14 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

The two times I have mentioned this to the dealer they say its not reproducable. I crawled underneath to investigate and I can reproduce the noise by pusing up and down on plastic aero cover at the bottom of the engine bay. I can find no loose supports but the cover is loose so it will require a lift to reinforce the attachments.

#15 OFFLINE   ford

ford

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 23 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:c max se

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:11 PM

I've heard a rather soft but distinct clunk several times when going over a bump or dip in the road.  I think it is in the back but not at all sure.  Haven't tried to investigate yet.

I have heard the same noise but not very often. It sounds like the rear hatch is not latched completely.  I'll take a look at it later but I think this is just the way it is supposed to be.                      1153 miles/ 48.0 MPG

#16 OFFLINE   zhackwyatt

zhackwyatt

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 829 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Sel 303A

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

I have heard the same noise but not very often. It sounds like the rear hatch is not latched completely.  I'll take a look at it later but I think this is just the way it is supposed to be.                      1153 miles/ 48.0 MPG

Check to make sure the rear seat-belts are in the slots above the seat.  Mine come out with every use and always rattle.

#17 OFFLINE   Michigan Max

Michigan Max

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max hybrid

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

Got the Cmax back tonight.  The noise is definitely gone......hooray.  The strut and strut plate on one side was replaced and the noise stopped.  Would show itself more when hotter weather was prevalent.  

The bouncing is not resolved.  Mine does it.  A new one does it.  Another new one doesn't do it.  This is another saga unsolved, but the rattling is fixed and that is a great thing.  

I had the exact same issue. Was worse in warmer weather. Strut plate replaced last week and all is quiet now. Must be the color. I have Ice Storm also.

Edited by Michigan Max, 01 June 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   hgelick

hgelick

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 cmax

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

I have had the same issue that is really noticeable, especially at low speeds while turning. When I turn the wheel to the right slowly, there are three distinct "clunk/snap" noises as I turn the wheel further. I also notice the same sound going slowly over speed bumps. Just had my car in the shop to fix anti freeze leak at manifold. Guess I'll be heading back to have the struts and strut plates checked out.

#19 OFFLINE   Smangerer

Smangerer

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 26 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:'13 Cmax NRG,

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:04 AM

I have had a very similar experience. They have replaced a support arm, a Damper, and I guess they have one more piece on order. Its the same noise you described. Its been there for over a year now and 3 trips/ attempts to be fixed. I have one more part on order. The first attempt they replaced a support arm then coated the damper (after pinpointing the sound there) with a rubber lube but it only worked for a week. Then they replaced the damper and now have the arm that attaches to the damper on order. Are the Strut and Strut Plate the exact parts? Im going to show them this info and want to make sure Im telling them the correct info. Thanks and I wish I would have searched this forum for this problem.

#20 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 354 posts
  • LocationDearborn, Michigan
  • My C-MAX's Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Model T

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

I have had the same issue that is really noticeable, especially at low speeds while turning. When I turn the wheel to the right slowly, there are three distinct "clunk/snap" noises as I turn the wheel further. I also notice the same sound going slowly over speed bumps. Just had my car in the shop to fix anti freeze leak at manifold. Guess I'll be heading back to have the struts and strut plates checked out.

I have had a very similar experience. They have replaced a support arm, a Damper, and I guess they have one more piece on order. Its the same noise you described. Its been there for over a year now and 3 trips/ attempts to be fixed. I have one more part on order. The first attempt they replaced a support arm then coated the damper (after pinpointing the sound there) with a rubber lube but it only worked for a week. Then they replaced the damper and now have the arm that attaches to the damper on order. Are the Strut and Strut Plate the exact parts? Im going to show them this info and want to make sure Im telling them the correct info. Thanks and I wish I would have searched this forum for this problem.

hgelick and Smangerer,

Let me see how I can help. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll take a peek at some possibilities.

Ashley

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·