Rattles in Front Suspension

Has anyone else noticed a rattle in the front suspension when going over bumps or turning? I have mentioned this twice to my dealer when the C-Max was in for the Check Engine Light problem but they could find nothing wrong. It sounds like a loose caliper or front suspension part. The dealer promised they gave it a thorough check out and could find nothing wrong.

The noise is getting more pronounced with time.

Is it isolated to one side?  Unfortunately, the quite running of the hybrid design does allow one to focus (bad pun) on other sounds.

I haven't been able to narrow it to any one side, definitely seems worse in cold weather. More pronounce when turning and going over a speed bump or dip in the road.

I haven't been able to narrow it to any one side, definitely seems worse in cold weather. More pronounce when turning and going over a speed bump or dip in the road.

I had one of the plastic covers that is under the car almost directly below the driver missing a bolt.

It would make a slapping noise  when hitting bumps and sometimes vibrate at highway speeds.

There are many possibilities for rattles. Try to isolate where its coming from and then start looking for something loose or rubbing.

• 1 month later...

We have been back to the dealer multiple times for this, but we have a horrible creaking sound that worsens as the weather warms.   It sounds like a creaking frame but it may end up being in the struts or other some other area.  

In fact tonight I have to take it back to the dealer so they can install little microphones or something to measure where the sound is the loudest (it is loud in the cabin) to isolate and try to determine where the sound is coming from.  Many trips back and now they acknowledge they finally hear the noise and are going to try to fix it.  Previously I was told that it wasn't happening, then was told it was normal noise not usually heard because of a gas engine running, and now finally they acknowledge it is real, they do hear it, and they are going to TRY to pinpoint the cause.  

Is this the result of buying a first year model?  I would have hoped that since it has been around in Europe that this wouldn't be the case.  But it turns out, this is just one of the many issues we have had so far.  Nice car, fun to drive, but the problems sometimes outweigh the limited MPG benefit.  

Edited by MADCMAX

We have been back to the dealer multiple times for this, but we have a horrible creaking sound that worsens as the weather warms.   It sounds like a creaking frame but it may end up being in the struts or other some other area.  

In fact tonight I have to take it back to the dealer so they can install little microphones or something to measure where the sound is the loudest (it is loud in the cabin) to isolate and try to determine where the sound is coming from.  Many trips back and now they acknowledge they finally hear the noise and are going to try to fix it.  Previously I was told that it wasn't happening, then was told it was normal noise not usually heard because of a gas engine running, and now finally they acknowledge it is real, they do hear it, and they are going to TRY to pinpoint the cause.  

Is this the result of buying a first year model?  I would have hoped that since it has been around in Europe that this wouldn't be the case.  But it turns out, this is just one of the many issues we have had so far.  Nice car, fun to drive, but the problems sometimes outweigh the limited MPG benefit.  

Edited by wab

Just got told by the dealer today they have isolated the noise to a front strut and strut plate.  Both have been ordered and if all goes well it will be replaced tomorrow.   They are confident that this is the cause of the noise.  I am very hopeful that this will end the concern over what this is and that it isn't something about to fall apart.  Will let you know how this turns out for sure.  Noise gets louder as the temperature warms.  

Got a call from the dealer, they have replaced a strut and strut plate and the noise we have had for 9 months is finally gone.  I haven't gotten it back yet, they are working on the bouncing issue.  After pressing the issue with the dealer on the bouncing issue, they decided to take another look.   They said one of the factory new units bounces as mine does, and the other one doesn't.  So they are working with Ford factory.  We'll see if the noise is really gone when I get it back, hopefully tomorrow.  

Got the Cmax back tonight.  The noise is definitely gone......hooray.  The strut and strut plate on one side was replaced and the noise stopped.  Would show itself more when hotter weather was prevalent.  

The bouncing is not resolved.  Mine does it.  A new one does it.  Another new one doesn't do it.  This is another saga unsolved, but the rattling is fixed and that is a great thing.  

The two times I have mentioned this to the dealer they say its not reproducable. I crawled underneath to investigate and I can reproduce the noise by pusing up and down on plastic aero cover at the bottom of the engine bay. I can find no loose supports but the cover is loose so it will require a lift to reinforce the attachments.

I've heard a rather soft but distinct clunk several times when going over a bump or dip in the road.  I think it is in the back but not at all sure.  Haven't tried to investigate yet.

I have heard the same noise but not very often. It sounds like the rear hatch is not latched completely.  I'll take a look at it later but I think this is just the way it is supposed to be.                      1153 miles/ 48.0 MPG

I have heard the same noise but not very often. It sounds like the rear hatch is not latched completely.  I'll take a look at it later but I think this is just the way it is supposed to be.                      1153 miles/ 48.0 MPG

Check to make sure the rear seat-belts are in the slots above the seat.  Mine come out with every use and always rattle.

Got the Cmax back tonight.  The noise is definitely gone......hooray.  The strut and strut plate on one side was replaced and the noise stopped.  Would show itself more when hotter weather was prevalent.  

The bouncing is not resolved.  Mine does it.  A new one does it.  Another new one doesn't do it.  This is another saga unsolved, but the rattling is fixed and that is a great thing.  

I had the exact same issue. Was worse in warmer weather. Strut plate replaced last week and all is quiet now. Must be the color. I have Ice Storm also.

Edited by Michigan Max

• 9 months later...

I have had the same issue that is really noticeable, especially at low speeds while turning. When I turn the wheel to the right slowly, there are three distinct "clunk/snap" noises as I turn the wheel further. I also notice the same sound going slowly over speed bumps. Just had my car in the shop to fix anti freeze leak at manifold. Guess I'll be heading back to have the struts and strut plates checked out.

I have had a very similar experience. They have replaced a support arm, a Damper, and I guess they have one more piece on order. Its the same noise you described. Its been there for over a year now and 3 trips/ attempts to be fixed. I have one more part on order. The first attempt they replaced a support arm then coated the damper (after pinpointing the sound there) with a rubber lube but it only worked for a week. Then they replaced the damper and now have the arm that attaches to the damper on order. Are the Strut and Strut Plate the exact parts? Im going to show them this info and want to make sure Im telling them the correct info. Thanks and I wish I would have searched this forum for this problem.

I have had the same issue that is really noticeable, especially at low speeds while turning. When I turn the wheel to the right slowly, there are three distinct "clunk/snap" noises as I turn the wheel further. I also notice the same sound going slowly over speed bumps. Just had my car in the shop to fix anti freeze leak at manifold. Guess I'll be heading back to have the struts and strut plates checked out.

I have had a very similar experience. They have replaced a support arm, a Damper, and I guess they have one more piece on order. Its the same noise you described. Its been there for over a year now and 3 trips/ attempts to be fixed. I have one more part on order. The first attempt they replaced a support arm then coated the damper (after pinpointing the sound there) with a rubber lube but it only worked for a week. Then they replaced the damper and now have the arm that attaches to the damper on order. Are the Strut and Strut Plate the exact parts? Im going to show them this info and want to make sure Im telling them the correct info. Thanks and I wish I would have searched this forum for this problem.

hgelick and Smangerer,

Let me see how I can help. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll take a peek at some possibilities.

Ashley

I've been chasing a clunk in the rear of the car as we'll. Sounds like the rear hatch is not closed properly. Brought it to the dealer and they claim it's the rear struts bottoming out but I'm not sure they hit hard enough get the rattle and clunk. It seems I get the noise on sharp hard bumps. It's really inconsistent. Has anyone else experience the rear struts bottoming out?

• 4 weeks later...

I think I give up. I had the strut and strut plate replaced on the side that makes the sound as well as 3 other parts which I cant recall at the moment and its still there. This has been 4 trips now 2 of which have put me in a rental for a total of 9 days not including the 2 other days they had the car with out a rental. I really would like this to be fixed but I cant justify any more time for attempts to fix this annoying sound. It could be the deciding factor in weather or not I buy the car at lease end. Do I want to live with this? 

Edited by Smangerer

Hi!  I'm glad to have found this forum.  I speak french and even if I don't understand 100% of all what was reported here, I would mention that I'm also experimenting curious noises just under my feets when turning the wheel of my cmax.  It seems to be worse when the weather is cold.  I visited the dealer this week and they confirmed have heared the noise too.  They verified on "Ford Oasis requests" and found a TSB (Technical Service Bulletins) about the problem (can't find it however...).  The technician wrote on by bill "VERIFIER DS OASIS VOR TSB 12/12/9 ET APPLIQUER REFAIT R/T OK Graisser amortisseur", which is in french as you see, but I'm not able to translate it, sorry... lol

So, the conclusion is that now it's better but I still hear the noise, weaker, but it's still there.

• 3 months later...

I get a bottoming-out sensation and soft clunk from the front suspension on dips, rather like an older car with worn-out strut bushings...but had hypothesized that maybe the car just has a really soft or short-travel front suspension...

The dealer said "the new ones drive the same," but I am not convinced. There is a sort of looseness, plus kind of a hollow thunk from the front over certain pavement cracks, that are just like how a 10-year-old VW or Audi with worn-out front strut bushings and/or struts drives. And I feel like the one I test drove originally had more precise steering than mine. I wonder if maybe a bushing/plate isn't torqued within spec? Or if I'm just a big geek either imagining things, or having expectations unsuited to a Ford or its mechanics?  Maybe I'll ask to take a new one out and drive the same route.