Rattles in Front Suspension

I have a similar issue that the dealer has not been able to figure out yet either.  It sounds like the rear suspension is crashing, like something is unhinged, clanking around when I hit bumps in the road.  It creaks sometimes pretty loudly when I go over speed bumps as well.  I've checked underneath the car myself and can't find anything obvious that looks out of place.  It really bothers me and makes me question the quality of the car.  Otherwise I love it, but this is really bothersome and annoying.

... And I feel like the one I test drove originally had more precise steering than mine. I wonder if maybe a bushing/plate isn't torqued within spec? Or if I'm just a big geek either imagining things, or having expectations unsuited to a Ford or its mechanics?  Maybe I'll ask to take a new one out and drive the same route.

I have a similar issue that the dealer has not been able to figure out yet either.  It sounds like the rear suspension is crashing, like something is unhinged, clanking around when I hit bumps in the road...

Hi folks,

Send me your information in a PM; I'll see what I can do to help. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'm on the case! :)

Crystal

Hi folks,

Send me your information in a PM; I'll see what I can do to help. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'm on the case! :)

Crystal

Thanks, Crystal! I sent you a message. It would be good to get some help, because it seems like the service dept is not very familiar with the C-Max.

• 2 weeks later...

I am happy to report we have finally solved my creaking issue!

It ended up being a poor pinch weld on the driver side wheel well area. The dealer finally got the right guy on the job. They reenforced the weld three times over and I haven't had that annoying creak since.

I'm so glad I kept at it. I finally have my new car!

I am happy to report we have finally solved my creaking issue!

It ended up being a poor pinch weld on the driver side wheel well area. The dealer finally got the right guy on the job. They reenforced the weld three times over and I haven't had that annoying creak since.

I'm so glad I kept at it. I finally have my new car!

Fantastic news, Smangerer! I'm glad your dealership took great care of you and got this resolved. Thanks for sharing your outcome with us!

Crystal

Good to hear you got it solved!  I haven't heard back from my regional service manager for days, so I'm not sure if she's out on vacation or just really busy.  I'm hoping someday she'll call me back and I can get my issues fixed, as they are getting worse now, which is disconcerting.

Good to hear you got it solved!  I haven't heard back from my regional service manager for days, so I'm not sure if she's out on vacation or just really busy.  I'm hoping someday she'll call me back and I can get my issues fixed, as they are getting worse now, which is disconcerting.

Hi vmmvmmm,

I reached out to your CSM and requested that she reach out to you. Let me know if you don't hear from her by Monday and I'll give her a nudge. :)

Crystal

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sharing my experience here in hopes of helping others.

Excessive rattling noises in front end began within six months of purchase.  The rattle sounded as if something was bouncing in the front end when going over speed bumps and rough roads.  At it's worst, the sound was metallic as if a nut was loose and something heavy and metal was bouncing.  The sound got worse in hot, dry weather but almost disappeared when cold or wet.  The "ears" could not locate the problem but the Techs could hear it.

In the first trip to the shop, they took apart the front suspension, found no problems, put it back together and claimed the problem fixed.  In the second trip to the shop, they tried TSB 13-9-9, after I brought it to their attention, and again claimed the problem solved.  In the third trip to the shop, they kept the car for three weeks while working with Ford to identify the problem.  They replaced the front right strut to no effect.  Next they replaced the insulation in the front bumper.  (This was what they relayed to me verbally although only the strut fix is on the invoice.)  This has appeared to fix the problem.  At least the metallic noise appears to be gone.

While vehicle has been repaired, my confidence in it has not.

Good luck.

I have definitely heard what I can only describe as a "quiet squeek" when I go over speed bumps at low speed, but I assumed it was normal.  Will try to determine if it is getting worse.

Thanks for the update.

Hi Adrian_L, 

If you decide to get that "squeek" looked at by the dealer, let me know; I'll be happy to lend a hand!

Thanks,

Mathieu

• 3 months later...

I have had a problem with something making clucking sounds when it is wet outside. Turning or over bumby roads. Luckly, the dealer has heard it also but the cant seem to fix it. They want the car for a extended period when it is wet out. Anyone eles having this problem? Got this car (2015 SE) at the end of June and has 6000 miles on it. It started the frist time it rained.