Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Explain 'ICE high' mode?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   frbill

frbill

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 124 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSouthern Illinois ( St Louis, MO Metro Area)
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi SE

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:04 AM

So Jus, I wonder if ICE High only works on flat roads. I never seem to be able to keep it in IH because in southern IL I am always climbing a hill.  I have tried to keep it in IH but on a hill the battery assist kicks in on a hill. I find that keeping at 55 I just get more consistently high MPG. Just wondering if I am missing something.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

What is the secret to getting the battery up to just the right level?  How long does it take to reach that level, assuming you started at about 35 percent?

I haven't done enough hwy trips to get a firm handle on the distance but a guess is around 10 miles.    I do shorter, less than 5 mile legs daily and have recently found keeping speeds below 65 and P&G on EV delivers better mpg.  Need more tests though.

#23 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Fernando, CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

So Jus, I wonder if ICE High only works on flat roads. I never seem to be able to keep it in IH because in southern IL I am always climbing a hill.  I have tried to keep it in IH but on a hill the battery assist kicks in on a hill. I find that keeping at 55 I just get more consistently high MPG. Just wondering if I am missing something.

You are correct ice high mpg works on flats and some mild grades only. Any steeper grades/hills automatically draws too much power and kicks in 100% of ICE.

#24 OFFLINE   nsteblay

nsteblay

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max 2013

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:45 PM

Image of C-Max HEV

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

4 Modes of Operation

Series Mode

• Used only when vehicle is not moving and the engine is running
  • Engine may be running for battery charging, cabin or battery temperature control, or catalyst warm-up.

Positive Split Mode

• Engine is ON and driving the generator motor to produce electricity
  • Power from the engine is split between the direct path to the road and the path through the generator motor
  • Generator power can flow to the battery or to the traction motor
  • The traction motor can operate as a motor or a generator to make up the difference between the engine power and the desired power
  • This is the preferred mode whenever the battery needs to be charged or when at moderate loads and low vehicle speeds

Negative Split Mode

• The engine is on and the generator motor consumes electrical energy to reduce engine speed
  • The traction motor can operate as a motor or a generator to make up the difference between the engine power and the desired power
  • Typical highway mode
  • Occurs when the engine needs to be on, the system can not be operated in parallel mode and the battery is charged near its upper limit

Electric Mode

• The vehicle is propelled by stored electrical energy only
  • The engine is turned off
  • The tractive torque supplied from the traction motor
  • Preferred mode whenever the desired power is low enough such that it can be produced more efficiently by electrical system than engine
  • Preferred mode in reverse because the engine can not deliver reverse torque
  • Separate electric pump maintains power assisted steering

The ICE High is Negative Split Mode.  These modes are described in the OBDII Theory and Operation available here.

• jhritz, fotomoto and Noah Harbinger like this

#25 OFFLINE   salsaguy

salsaguy

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,371 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationWhittier, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2012 VW Passat 2.5L SEL Premium

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:45 AM

i still think someone needs to do a YouTube video on the road to show us all how it's done.

#26 OFFLINE   troll334

troll334

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale
  • My C-MAX's Year:2018
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Titanium

Posted 17 December 2018 - 11:35 AM

Hello all,

I know our treasured C-Max has been disco'd by Ford but thought I'd throw in my findings.

Model Year/Make: 2018 Titanium (absolutely no mods)

Current Odo: 13,500 (had it for six months now).

In town stats: computer says I'm pushing 54 MPG (since about the second day; quick learner

being a solar nerd with knowledge of batts and power generation systems).

Let me set the highway stage:

Highway: Florida's Turnpike (hilly due to overpasses)

Date: 12/16/18 (around 14:00)

Temp: 78 (is this really Winter?)

So, I embarked on a 60 mile trip to see the kid.

Put the dash into the Empower mode (never really watched it before).

After about 10 miles of being around 70 MPH, the battery bank was around 75% SOC.

I was getting about 40.3 MPH. Started tapping "-" on the cruise control, one-by-one.

At 69 MPH, the MPG rating started increasing slowly. After a few minutes, it got up to 41.

Tapped down to 68 then 67 (within a few seconds). I let 'er run for about 15 miles and

watched the MPG rating hit 45. I left the cruise there and just about the time I got off

the pike, the MPG rating was at 49. I did very little to the pedal when I hit the hills.

I strategically increased speed just coming to the top of each hill to ensure the ICE

remained running for the downhill segment; then very slowly backed off the pedal to 

ensure I wouldn't fall into EV mode. I was successful most of those times. When not,
I simply worked the pedal to quickly light the back ICE up.

I'm confident our Ford Engineers did, in fact, incorporate all your wishes and desires

into the code under which I'm running now.

Bravo. Sad to see Ford discontinuing the model. They'll be sorry.

mike

#27 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2,068 posts
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:34 PM

Welcome to the forum. 

What you are describing on the highway is negative split mode operation which works great on "flat" highways as one can run long periods of time with ICE rpm reduced by the generator (MG1) but with ICE virtually at the same torque demand to operate at a more efficient point on the brake specific fuel consumption curve.  FE thus increases but generally the penalty is increasing time. Run too fast (requiring more torque) and it's harder to keep ICE in negative split mode.  So, one has to generally slow down: save fuel $ or time but not both.   The novelty wore off me fairly quickly and I generally just "drive" the car to save time.  Gas is currently $2.389 at Costco.   :)

If you haven't seen the video in this link, it demonstrates how the C-Max transmission operates in negative split mode.  Second, if you are "into" the operational aspects of your C-Max, I'd recommend getting the ForScan App for your smartphone.  You will need an ELM327 adapter to plug into your OBDII port to communicate with your smartphone.  I've found the cheaper adapters slower and drop out frequently.  I currently use the OBDlink MX BT adapter.

#28 OFFLINE   troll334

troll334

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale
  • My C-MAX's Year:2018
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Titanium

Posted 18 December 2018 - 09:37 PM

Greetings to you and thanks for the welcome.

I too have arrived at 'just driving the darned thing' in the city. However, I'm about to embark on my first

long distance trip; lasting 12 hours; and wanted to maximize MPG. So, I've been reading you; the experts,

to gain valuable insight. A month ago, I decided to leave my OBDLink BT adapter in the wife's car and get

a new OBD Wi-Fi for the trip. Didn't wanna step on the bluetooth channel for car audio and other BT functions.

I had the scare of my life. Off topic I know but... I had scantool's app on my android and was running at 60 MPH.

This was the third driving cycle for the Wi-Fi adapter. Suddenly, the car throws an error on the dash urging me

to pull off safely. I thought I had power but NO, I had to glide to a stop off the shoulder. Freaked out a bit, with

the South Florida idiots whizzing by, I quickly shut the car off, unplugged the Wi-Fi adapter, waited another

minute, and restarted the c-max. Thankfully, I drove off without incident. The folks at scantool had me perform

the all-popular adapter reset; and I've been fine since.

I don't seem to have many PIDs with OBDLink; may have to boot up Torque and give it a shot. I would have

thought I'd get more insight into the vehicle as compared to my old '03 Expy.

Anyway, thanks for the info. Clearly, you are a master of the c-max. I'm still havin' too much fun saving

180 bucks a month on fuel  :)

mike

#29 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2,068 posts
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:44 PM

The issue with Apps other than ForScan is that they will have a limited set of the Ford PIDs and nothing on the MS CAN and very little on the hybrid operational PIDs. I’ve tried Torque Pro, Dash Command, and another one several years ago and unless you know the PID codes to enter, they are virtually worthless for hybrid data. Also, go to the ForScan.org forum and read about adapters as IIRC, they don’t recommend the OBDIink MX WiFi adapter for IOS or Android.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·