REAL Sunroof?

toby65

Hey all, I'm new to the forum & I'll be picking up my SEL tomorrow, I did a lot of back & forth on this car & the only real disappointment for me at this time is the lack of a functional sunroof. Has anyone else considered (or done) adding an aftermarket sunroof? I understand that it may impact fuel economy some, but I really do use the one I have often. I got the car w/o the panorama so I didn't have to worry about the fit & there are some places near me that will install for about $1200.

Any thoughts?

Hello San Francisco!  Nice to hear from you here in the South Bay's sillycorn valley.  Hope to see you on the road someday, I'm frequently up in Palo Alto if you ever make down there?  I'm the Platinum White SEL with black factory wheels.

Edited by mtb9153

• 2 months later...

I have been looking around a bit for some info about this.

We expect ours to be delivered to us sometime around 8/15. We ordered it with the sunroof. I figured I'd be fine with it not opening. I use the one we have in the Escape hybrid quite often. As the time has gone by, I find myself wondering your exact question. I thought to myself that it might actually be easier to get a functional sunroof installed, since the area is already prepared for a window. :headscratch:

I think I might start asking around to see if it is possible without breaking the bank. I will have to contact Ford first, and see about warranty issues. But this is something I am very interested in.

with the larger front window and the extra heat it generates, it really is amazing they don't have an opening sunroof as an option for the C-Max. in my car i always crack all 4 windows and the sun roof to allow the heat that gets trapped in the car during the day when it's parked to at least let some of it out. since heat travels up, that's the best place to let it out, from the roof. i know we won't be getting a panoramic roof in our cmax when we get one.

I'm an air conditioner-aholic.  I like having the glass.  It makes the C-MAX even bigger and more open.  It seems to help with driver fatigue, for me.  I would never open an actual sunroof.  Other than clearing out hot cabin air for the first 30 seconds of my drive, I never open my windows (other than for the obvious).  So, the Panoramic panel is just what I had hoped it would be.

My last vehicle, which I owned for over 14 years had a sunroof.  My biggest complaint was I would forget to close it.  And one time there was a heavy rain.  Not good.  I hope the newer vehicles have some auto-close thing.

i had a sunroof on my Jeep Liberty and hardly ever used it after the novelty wore off. It was just too noisy!  love the pano roof in my C-MAX tho. really brightens up the interior and makes it seem even larger. i drove a loaner Focus a few weeks ago and have never felt so cramped in a car. Jelly felt HUGE when I got back in

Have had several opening sunroofs - absolutely love them/swear by them (Volvos, BMW, Audi..).  That said, I was determined to not get the C-Max with a 'fake' one - that is until we sat in a C-Max with the pano roof and realized we had to have it for the light and roominess it provides (& an extra map light).  Very pleased we got it, and who knows, maybe we will have an opening sunroof installed someday - although I would prefer a solar panel now for some extra juice!  Love our pano roof, plenty of other air options.  Nick  (PS   :future:  2014 or 2015 or 2016 will have the full opener one as an option; or better yet a solar panel option :secret:)

Edited by C-MaxSea

Got this response from Ford today:

"Hello Mark,

My name is Alexine and I am from Ford's Customer Relationship Center.  I received your email inquiring if the warranty would be voided when you convert the fixed sunroof to a movable sunroof on your Ford C-Max.

To begin with, thank you for taking the time to write to us.

The installation or use of any after-market product will not necessarily void the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.  However, if the after-market product fails or causes a Ford part to fail, the cost of the repair and any related damage(s) are not covered by your Ford warranty.

Also, modifications to your vehicle could result in its not meeting either Federal Emission Control Standards or any applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

Ford Motor Company does not recommend changes to our products.  Only changes that have been thoroughly tested and approved by Ford Engineering should be considered.  In this case, Ford part numbers will be issued and parts made available for purchase through our dealers.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Alexine"

Now I have contacted a couple shops for estimates. We'll see what happens. I just might have the only Cmax with a working sunroof(that I know of).

• 9 months later...

My dealer had an aftermarket moonroof installed before I took delivery for $995.

Unless you also crack a window there is a loud "pulsing" noise (which is the same noise you get when only one window is open.)

It auto closes when ignition turns off and door is opened.

Not concerned about effect on mileage, but wondering if a deflector will mitigate the rather loud wind noise above 40 mph.

Any thoughts?

It's called "buffeting".

Not supposed to have the sunroof/moonroof open when driving faster than 45 (on freeway). It's meant to let air in so you don't need AC use in the city and let out hot air when parked.

My dealer had an aftermarket moonroof installed before I took delivery for $995.

Unless you also crack a window there is a loud "pulsing" noise (which is the same noise you get when only one window is open.)

It auto closes when ignition turns off and door is opened.

Not concerned about effect on mileage, but wondering if a deflector will mitigate the rather loud wind noise above 40 mph.

Any thoughts?

I was very dissappointed with the sunroof option for the C-max. My last car had one and I really liked it, mainly because I preferred to have it open rather than the windows. The panaramic roof on the C-max is bigger but its still on the small side by today's standards and you can't even see it when sitting in the driver or passenger seats. But I think the biggest deal breaker was how much headroom/height you lose and the extra $1300 it costs to add one. The interior roofline drops a good 1 to 2.5 inches in most locations. You can see this picture below around the roof handles, B-pillars, and back section of the window where the cloth screen (which I also wasn't crazy about) winds up. I did test drive a C-max with and without one and to be honest when sitting in the drivers seat (which is where I'll be 99% of the time) I couldn't even tell the car had one or not. If it had a roof like the Escape (which it should they're the same platform) I would get one in a heartbeat.

2013-Ford-C-MAX-SEL_fixed-panoramic-roof

No way.  The panoramic roof dramatically increases the sense of space and headroom.  I test drove both with and without.   But........(I agree).when you are sitting in the driver's seat the front edge of the panoramic roof is actually just behind your ears, so the "experience" of a sunroof doesn't really exist for the driver and front passenger.    It's cool---but not worth $1300.

So I would say, given the massive windshield and how far back the usable sunroof area is......I wouldn't bother cutting a hole and installing an aftermarket sunroof.  You can get air in by opening the windows.

Edited by Adrian_L

I use my Sun/moon roof in my Passat all the time when driving around town to let in air and not have to use the a/c. Also lets the hot air rise UP and get out when parked in the sun. Open windows are on the side and don't let out as much.

Not planning on getting the pano roof on the wife's cmax as it's not worth it. 

And if it only gives the "sense" of a bigger space but it's actually smaller/tighter inside with it installed then no thanks.

Also with the added pano glad w on top it will make you use your a/c to cool the cat MORE since the light will get thru it and transmit more heat into the cabin than a cmax without one. More A/C = lower mpgs

They need to allow you to"pop the top"

I love how the Pano roof makes the interior seem even bigger, especially on long trips. I actually prefer that it not open and such. That would make it cost even more, and I would rarely both opening it. I mostly use air conditioning.

Edited by salsaguy