Broken Rear Seat Belt

raymond963

My rear-center buckle (the part attached to the seat) broke.

It appears that the rear belt buckles fold down even with the seat when the seat is lowered, and this one failed to raise enough to clear the edge of the seat as it was raised. The edge of the seat caught the buckle, pushed the cover down off the buckle and snapped the red plastic button mechanism into several pieces. I can tell where it caught on the seat because there's a small fuzzy piece where the fabric was pulled.

Has anybody else had a problem with this?

It's going in to the dealer today so they can check out why I had a dead battery on Friday and also look at the seatbelt. That's when it happened, while I was retrieving my jump starter from the rear. I had to lower the seat because you can't get in through the hatch when the battery is dead. Will take a pic before I go and post it after I return.

• 3 months later...

This just happened to mine as well, as I was folding down the rear seats.  I didn't realize it was the seatbelt that had cracked until it was too late!  This is covered by the warranty, I assume.  Did they have to order the part to fix it?

Yes, they had to order the part but only took a few days for it to come in. It was covered under warranty. Mine actually caught as I was raising the seat back. The belt buckles lower as the seat slide slightly forward when the back is lowered. When it was coming up as I raised the back, it caught on the stitching on the edge of the seat. The mechanic thought a spring in the buckle was installed incorrectly.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I had a similar problem with my 2014 CMax Energi.  I am at 58K miles.  It had been 100 degrees that day with car parked and windows may have been closed (I thought I had them open a crack.  I loaded the car with groceries from Costco. It was heavy and I put the seats down. I traveled 175 miles.  It was cooler at my destination - usually 80 - 90 max.  I tried to put the seats up several days later and couldn't.  I discovered that the seatbelts were jammed and caught on the seats (see attached pics).  I was able to unstick them and bring the seats up but they no longer work.  Note that they look like the plastic melted.  The dealer has ordered new seatbelts and he said they would "probably" be covered due to the fact it is a safety issue and it doesn't look like there was unnatural abuse (the surrounding seat was not damaged).

post-2218-0-96616100-1473711733_thumb.jpg

post-2218-0-41763300-1473711737_thumb.jpg

post-2218-0-73899100-1473711740_thumb.jpg

I had a similar problem with my 2014 CMax Energi.  I am at 58K miles.  It had been 100 degrees that day with car parked and windows may have been closed (I thought I had them open a crack.  I loaded the car with groceries from Costco. It was heavy and I put the seats down. I traveled 175 miles.  It was cooler at my destination - usually 80 - 90 max.  I tried to put the seats up several days later and couldn't.  I discovered that the seatbelts were jammed and caught on the seats (see attached pics).  I was able to unstick them and bring the seats up but they no longer work.  Note that they look like the plastic melted.  The dealer has ordered new seatbelts and he said they would "probably" be covered due to the fact it is a safety issue and it doesn't look like there was unnatural abuse (the surrounding seat was not damaged).

I talked to the dealer and the seatbelts will be replaced without charge.  

• 7 years later...

Did they end up covering it? This just happened on our Bronco and the dealership is saying they won't even submit it because there is damage and it's our fault! So frustrating, and worse, I'm afraid it will happen over and over again creating a major safety hazard! 

On 9/12/2016 at 3:23 PM, White Lightning said:

post-2218-0-96616100-1473711733_thumb.jpg

post-2218-0-41763300-1473711737_thumb.jpg

post-2218-0-73899100-1473711740_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

This happened to my CMAX 2014. Didn't think to look as see if there was a recall or anything. I just ordered two new buckles the center and the passenger rear were broken. They happened at different times and was wonder how this could have happened since we never put anything heavy in the back and rarely fold the seats down.