Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Where's the Cabin Air Filter?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   armoredsaint

armoredsaint

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 312 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL 302A/DRL

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

############################################################################

Mod Edited: Jump straight to links:

Videos:
http://fordcmaxhybri...ter/#entry36190
http://fordcmaxhybri...ge-3#entry61793

Text and/or Pics
http://fordcmaxhybri...ter/#entry39710
http://fordcmaxhybri...ge-2#entry52856

#############################################################################

Checked the manual and even the lack luster index and nothing, they do list a part # for it.

Where's it located, behind the glovebox?

Edited by Jus-A-CMax, 01 January 2016 - 03:21 PM.
Mod edited to add "how-to" links for videos/pics/text

• obob likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

The OM is vague but says this on page 152:  "Your cabin air filter is located in the passenger foot well area. "   So, yeah, I'd say the usual place behind the glove box but I haven't looked yet.

#3 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAZ
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

There's a panel below the glove box held in place by two screw / push caps over two posts.  When that is removed, the filter is to the left in the center area held in place by a U - clip.  It does look rather simple to change. But from the workshop manual it looks to perhaps be a tight fit (don't know the actual depth of the filter). 

#4 OFFLINE   JohnnOhio

JohnnOhio

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 490 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:C Max SEL and GMC Canyon and 1956 Ford 860 tractor

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

I like that. My Pontiac had the cabin air filter under the panel under the wipers. You had to change it from the outside.

#5 OFFLINE   armoredsaint

armoredsaint

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 312 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL 302A/DRL

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

There's a panel below the glove box held in place by two screw / push caps over two posts.  When that is removed, the filter is to the left in the center area held in place by a U - clip.  It does look rather simple to change. But from the workshop manual it looks to perhaps be a tight fit (don't know the actual depth of the filter). 

thanks, i checked it out earlier when i was looking for the fuse panel below the glovebox to hardwire my radar detector.

#6 OFFLINE   techman05

techman05

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 15 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationN.Y.
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2013 ford cmax se

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

That bothers me I have to push so much out of the way to get to the filter. The one video on youtube seems to show a few brakets to be removed as well.  @John those were the good days when they wanted you to find it. I replaced my 05 vibe filter many times after finding it under the box. That area in the cmax is a tight fit which might make me have to remove a chair to check clearence there or hope it can be found in a install package. I saw screws to get the box out but theres a tight knob on the right and haven't checked yet if thats the fuel reset

or just another clip.

Any actual ford techs here that can say what it took for them to get into that area. I can remember when gm replaced an air actuator in a place like that they pulled the whole dash to get into it and that was a 40 dollar part and no warrenty. I just got the car recently though its one of the parts I hope to service myself once filter start showing up in Amazons distribution chain (my local walmart doesn't even have a fram replacement for either filter).

#7 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

Brother Mike (a.k.a. mtb9153)

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,527 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationS.F. South Bay Area, Ca.
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL with 303A, with Panoramic window using GasPods on the roof, born 9/9/12

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:29 AM

Well if I ever have to change the cabin air filter myself it doesn't look like it will be as easy as my previous car a 2005 Saturn Vue Redline.  It was located under the hood at the base of the windshield right on the cowl, where it should be.  Why shove it under the dash where it is so hard to get to?  I'm sure there was a good reason for putting it there?  Like making sure the techs were the only ones to do it and they could charge for it.  Glad I took the extended warranty and have a second one behind the first when it runs out.

#8 OFFLINE   BIG ROCCO

BIG ROCCO

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 246 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationPHOENIX, AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

Yeah - I actually have to agree with those who say under the hood/cowl is a better place, but I suppose under the dash will work, too

#9 OFFLINE   HannahWCU

HannahWCU

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 362 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationHickory, NC
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Focus Electric

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

Anybody actually buy a replacement for this yet? If so where did you get it and do you have a part number?  Ford's Motorcraft web site does not list a part number for it (unless I am searching wrong).  Frams web site lists it as "NR"?

UPDATE:

I got online with Ford, it isn't in the Parts catalog  :drop:   But the part number is "CV6Z-19N619-A"  List Price $24.95

Edited by HannahWCU, 03 October 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

C-Max Hybrid Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

Yeah - I actually have to agree with those who say under the hood/cowl is a better place, but I suppose under the dash will work, too

They moved them inside to keep them from getting wet and to reduce the attraction of rodents :)

#11 OFFLINE   kc1174

kc1174

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 173 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL
  • Current Vehicle:Audi A3

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:16 PM

Found the cabin air filter while under there messing with the fuses. It's the same setup as the Focus. Here's a (ridiculously long winded) video:

And here's the filter on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• JAZ, Jus-A-CMax, hybridbear and 3 others like this

#12 OFFLINE   DBS

DBS

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 7 posts
  • LocationStaunton, VA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

This is very helpful! Thanks. Don

#13 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:25 PM

And here's the filter on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At 18K miles, it was past time to replace the cabin filter in our CMax so I looked around locally and no auto parts stores or walmart had any in stock.  Fram/fabreeze doesn't make one ATM so right now it's motorcraft or nothing thus I went with the above amazon link.  TIP:  if you buy two, you only get charged a dollar more for shipping thus saving $5 if order separately.  Besides, you're going to need another one down the road anyways.  Me, I got two CMax'es so it was a no brainer.

Installation was not easy and you really have to contort yourself to get it it.  You'll need a #15 torx bit or screwdriver to remove the one screw and a flash light is essential.   There isn't a ton of free space to remove or install it and I found you have to squish it a lot to make clearance; however, it did pop back into shape once in.   Overall, this is a crappy layout and I don't look forward to doing it again.   I you don't do your own oil changes then you probably won't want to tackle this.  

Interior side of filter at 18k miles:

83F63700-4DEC-4886-AF3F-27D6B32B903C_zps

Exterior side:

941B15F0-17C7-497F-B520-3FDB32C2A7A0_zps

I won't wait as long next time. 

• hybridbear and djc like this

#14 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

Changed mine today at 19.5k miles (before watching the video) and it took less than 10 minutes.  My second one will take considerably less time (assuming I can still bend over and then get back up from the awkward position). :)   My CAF was not nearly as dirty as fotomoto's CAF (I'll probably wait longer next time - at least to 20k).

I wonder what Ford's shop time is for this? Do they charge in 15 minute TU?  Local Ford parts guy wanted to sell me a CAF for about $25 plus tax compared to less than $20 including shipping online.  When I said I can get one from a Ford dealer online shipped free priority mail for less than $20,  he said he couldn't discount his.  Ordered CAF Friday afternoon and arrived Tuesday around noon.  

Also, so one doesn't have to spend 25+ minutes watching the video, one can follow the steps below. You'll need a T20 bit / screwdriver (a T15 will be a loose fit but will work) and a light to see.

1) put passenger seat all the way back, remove passenger floor mat (if you have a mat over the carpet it might interfere with procedure) and locate fiber cover between under side of dash and floor held in place by 2 plastic caps on posts projecting down from under dash.

2) remove two plastic caps from posts (turn / pull caps from posts), slip post holes in fiber cover over posts, and pull fiber cover out

3) locate CAF cover with plastic squeeze tabs to the left near firewall under the passenger dash on the center console vertical surface.and remove screw at bottom of CAF cover with T20 bit

4) compress plastic tabs on CAF cover and while compressing pull cover off (pull down and out while compressing tabs)

5) grab CAF and pull / wiggle out of slot (note the foam seal is to the engine compartment)

6) squeeze new CAF on flexible pleated sides to make rigid  top and bottom come closer together as you insert top then bottom into CAF slot making sure the foam seal is towards the engine (it's not as hard as the video makes it appear) and then push / slide / wiggle remainder of CAF into slot

7) reverse steps 1) - 4)

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer, 28 January 2014 - 05:52 PM.

• JAZ, ptjones, hybridbear and 2 others like this

#15 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 637 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

FYI, I just ordered a cabin filter from Amazon; $19.00 with shipping.  The vendor (not Amazon) claims only a few are available.

Edited by Bill-N, 28 January 2014 - 07:58 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

FYI, I just ordered a cabin filter from Amazon; $19.00 with shipping.  The vendor (not Amazon) claims only a few available.

Oh man after seeing this I thought I paid more than that so I went back and checked my order but I paid roughly $16 shipped by buying two ($32 total) from Car Parts Kings.

http://www.amazon.co...=A311393O04YIYG

#17 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

Brother Mike (a.k.a. mtb9153)

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationS.F. South Bay Area, Ca.
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL with 303A, with Panoramic window using GasPods on the roof, born 9/9/12

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

I'm going to let the dealer change this for me since it isn't much fun to get too.  That's why I paid for two extended warranty's

#18 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

I'm going to let the dealer change this for me since it isn't much fun to get too.  That's why I paid for two extended warranty's

Do you mean a maintenance plan?  Extended warranties typically don't cover maintenance items. 

#19 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

My CAF was not nearly as dirty as fotomoto's CAF (I'll probably wait longer next time - at least to 20k).

We have a lot of plowed, black farm land around here.  On some roads I typically drive, as far as the eye can see on both sides.   Combined that with a near constant gulf breeze to stir it up and then going past the recommended time frame :waiting:  and you can understand why mine was so  :cleaning:

Here's a view while riding my bike showing what I mean:

0C513D6E-630C-4A8D-B498-8F93EB2BB8C3_zps

• hybridbear likes this

#20 OFFLINE   BIG ROCCO

BIG ROCCO

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 246 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationPHOENIX, AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

With the C-Max filter located under the dash, it leads me to conclude that the filter is downstream from the fan/heater core/evaporator.  On my past cars with the filter located under the hood/cowl panel, the filter was upstream/before the fan/heater core/evaporator.  I kind of like the idea of filtering the air before it get to those components, to keep them clean and dust free, but maybe filtering after those components is better for at delivering air that is dust/mildew/mold free...

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·