Changed mine today at 19.5k miles (before watching the video) and it took less than 10 minutes. My second one will take considerably less time (assuming I can still bend over and then get back up from the awkward position). My CAF was not nearly as dirty as fotomoto's CAF (I'll probably wait longer next time - at least to 20k).
I wonder what Ford's shop time is for this? Do they charge in 15 minute TU? Local Ford parts guy wanted to sell me a CAF for about $25 plus tax compared to less than $20 including shipping online. When I said I can get one from a Ford dealer online shipped free priority mail for less than $20, he said he couldn't discount his. Ordered CAF Friday afternoon and arrived Tuesday around noon.
Also, so one doesn't have to spend 25+ minutes watching the video, one can follow the steps below. You'll need a T20 bit / screwdriver (a T15 will be a loose fit but will work) and a light to see.
1) put passenger seat all the way back, remove passenger floor mat (if you have a mat over the carpet it might interfere with procedure) and locate fiber cover between under side of dash and floor held in place by 2 plastic caps on posts projecting down from under dash.
2) remove two plastic caps from posts (turn / pull caps from posts), slip post holes in fiber cover over posts, and pull fiber cover out
3) locate CAF cover with plastic squeeze tabs to the left near firewall under the passenger dash on the center console vertical surface.and remove screw at bottom of CAF cover with T20 bit
4) compress plastic tabs on CAF cover and while compressing pull cover off (pull down and out while compressing tabs)
5) grab CAF and pull / wiggle out of slot (note the foam seal is to the engine compartment)
6) squeeze new CAF on flexible pleated sides to make rigid top and bottom come closer together as you insert top then bottom into CAF slot making sure the foam seal is towards the engine (it's not as hard as the video makes it appear) and then push / slide / wiggle remainder of CAF into slot
7) reverse steps 1) - 4)
Edited by Plus 3 Golfer, 28 January 2014 - 05:52 PM.