Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Where's the Cabin Air Filter?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:49 AM

I will probably replace my filter at the first oil change; for the Energi that is 20K miles or so.

Edited by stevedebi, 23 April 2015 - 11:58 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   rjam

rjam

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 196 posts
  • LocationUsa
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX SEL

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:30 PM

Really not that hard to do. The video is worth the few minutes to watch and learn. Got mine at the dealer for $20. Checking the engine air filter is really a giant pain!

#43 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 85 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Fusion SE

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:02 PM

I changed mine this morning. Thanks to the pics posted by ArizonaEnergi, the job was easy and took about 10 minutes. Not the easiest install and I guess I just have to believe the filter straightened itself out once I got it in. After 13 months, the filter was gray and a little darker in spots and probably could have gone another 6-8 months, but it's a relatively cheap replacement to ensure clean air.

Edited by timwil56, 25 April 2015 - 03:03 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   Noah Harbinger

Noah Harbinger

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMetro San Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:50 PM

Finally replaced mine. Before and after, after 22k miles. 

You do have to contort it to get it in... but you can tell from how the old one bounces-back that the new one will spring back into place after you shove it in. 

r4UG1pC.jpg

Edit: I notice that the dust pattern is the same on ArizonaEnergi's and mine. 

Edited by Noah Harbinger, 20 June 2015 - 06:52 PM.

#45 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

Brother Mike (a.k.a. mtb9153)

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationS.F. South Bay Area, Ca.
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL with 303A, with Panoramic window using GasPods on the roof, born 9/9/12

Posted 20 June 2015 - 08:31 PM

Maxus has 41,100+ miles and still the factory installed filter.  Do I win the mileage award for longest used filter?

#46 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 891 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:56 PM

Hardly, we're past 68k with the original (IIRC!).  Don't know what it looks like - can't see it!  Changed the engine filter awhile back and it was so clean even the dealer said I should put it back in!  Of course for the cabin I mostly use "Recirc" - there's not much air outside of The Enterprise!

#47 OFFLINE   Noah Harbinger

Noah Harbinger

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 425 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:38 AM

Hardly, we're past 68k with the original (IIRC!).  Don't know what it looks like - can't see it!  Changed the engine filter awhile back and it was so clean even the dealer said I should put it back in!  Of course for the cabin I mostly use "Recirc" - there's not much air outside of The Enterprise!

I'd imagine that makes a big difference. I almost always leave the fan on at about half-speed (in retrospect I wish I'd gotten a fully manual HVAC...) set to outside air. 

#48 OFFLINE   markd

markd

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 433 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:c-max sel

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:34 AM

When I was at Ford last week I asked how much parts and labor was and was told it was $90 dollars.

#49 OFFLINE   Noah Harbinger

Noah Harbinger

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 425 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:21 AM

When I was at Ford last week I asked how much parts and labor was and was told it was $90 dollars.

It's personal preference whether that's worth it to you. The first time took me 25 minutes, the Motorcraft filter is $15 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B008PJDOSS

It comes with same-day delivery for me in San Diego on Prime.

#50 OFFLINE   Robert Fugate

Robert Fugate

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:02 PM

$5.40 on ebay! http://www.ebay.com/...6e0d087&vxp=mtr

#51 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLake County, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:40 AM

You do realize that is just for the COVER and NOT for a cabin air filter, right?

http://www.ebay.com/...t-/201228776294

#52 OFFLINE   shochberg

shochberg

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Locationtexas
  • Current Vehicle:cmax

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:07 AM

Just adding a big thank you to Plus 3 golfer.  Followed his instructions and did this task in about ten minutes.  

Especially helpful since the instructions that came with the filter were for a completely different vehicle and told me to go in through the engine compartment!

Thanks for taking the time to post.

#53 OFFLINE   WNY

WNY

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 109 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationCuba, NY
  • Current Vehicle:F150,Mustang, Escape

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:02 PM

just checked mine, since i just bought the car this past week used with 20K, YEP, it's needs changed. it was pretty dark looking when I pulled it our a little from the holder.

I found one on Ebay for $15 including shipping. RockAuto has the Ford/Motorcraft for around $12. not sure on shipping.

#54 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,421 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:29 PM

I changed the cabin filter today at 22 months and 11,000 miles and glad I did as you can see....
Here's a comparison and no, that's not a charcoal filter!
attachicon.gifCabin Filter 8.JPG

Here it is with the sun behind it.
attachicon.gifCabin Filter 9.JPG

Hardly, we're past 68k with the original (IIRC!).  ...

I finally got a look at mine this weekend, after 40K. I don't plan on buying a replacement, and it will be at least another 40K before I look again.

Here's why. This is what most folks react to, surface crud. Big stuff that will never pass the filter. I ignore this, you can clean it off if you'd like. I didn't

Attached File  CAF pleat debris sm.jpg   72.46KB   2 downloads

Because this is the image that tells you something about the filter's state. As Arizona saw, these filters are barely used. New filters won't let much more light through than these are, indicating they still have the majority of their filtration capacity remaining unused.

Attached File  CAF Backlight sm.jpg   58.99KB   2 downloads

For reference, this is the filter from our vacuum cleaner. I banged off the surface dirt, to reveal that even this worst-case usage doesn't kill a filter. Red Devil suggests replacing the filter annually, but cleaning it after every use.

Attached File  Red Devil Filter sm.jpg   54.17KB   2 downloads

At some point, I may do the same test with the engine air filter, but I doubt I'll change it, either. There is value to inspection, as a moist filter, or one with mildew would indicate a real service issue. In the absence of an issue, I can't see disposing of a good filter, especially since its filtration efficiency is better than a new one!

HAve fun,

Frank

• C-MaxSea likes this

#55 OFFLINE   coolfords

coolfords

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationTx
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:42 AM

Hi!

Another vid on cabin filter

http://www.carcareki...ter_cabin/check

Marc

• Jus-A-CMax and C-MaxSea like this

#56 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationSan Fernando, CA
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:15 PM

Mine was disgusting, 57K. Think I will change this much earlier.

Great vids & info everyone, thanks. It was a breeze to change, < 5 mins.

Topic has been pinned :)

#57 OFFLINE   mtta

mtta

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 16 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationU.S.
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:35 PM

Found the cabin air filter while under there messing with the fuses. It's the same setup as the Focus. Here's a (ridiculously long winded) video:

And here's the filter on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just followed this - and it worked well. I tried to just skim through and this delayed my work, because I was trying to put the cover on backwards. Returning to the video after I finished, I realize it is worthwhile to watch the whole thing, even if you feel confident. As the man says there is a designer who deserves a "Pain in the Butt" award for the location of this filter. It was physically difficult.

Mine was disgusting, 57K. Think I will change this much earlier.

Great vids & info everyone, thanks. It was a breeze to change, < 5 mins.

Topic has been pinned  :)

I bought used but don't believe mine was ever changed. Now at 36k the filter was quite black, and leaves and pollen were stuck in there. In my Toyota the filter was never this dirty. My cabin air should be cleaner now. I think every 20k should be about right.

#58 OFFLINE   CARiD

CARiD

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCranbury, NJ
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:53 AM

There's also a washable cabin air filter on our site, that can be cleaned and reused. It's made by K&N, the price is higher, but on the ther hand you don't have to buy a new one every time it gets dirty

Edited by CARiD, 21 April 2016 - 04:12 AM.

#59 OFFLINE   Noah Harbinger

Noah Harbinger

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 425 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:59 AM

Second time through is much easier, popped in and out in 5 minutes. I do want to note for any first-timers that a T-20 Torx bit fits better than the T-15 he recommends!

#60 OFFLINE   notquitesane

notquitesane

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 89 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationEdmonton
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL 303A

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:56 PM

I just did mine.  I  live in a colder climate and noticed that the windows were not clearing as fast, the cabin wouldn't warm up very fast and the windows would fog really easily if you tried to breathe.  It wasn't like this when I first got the car.  After reading the forums, it dawned on me that there is a cabin filter.

I have prepaid maintenance so I assumed the dealer had been changing it.  I seem to forget the dealer I used to go to is pretty sketchy.  Thankfully I don't go to them anymore.  So rather than wait for my next maintenance cycle, I decided to replace the filter right away.  We will have more cold weather, winter is far from over in Canada, so more airflow and faster cabin heating times are important.  I have just shy of 60,000 km and the filter was filthy.  Shoehorned the new one in there.  T15 bit fit perfectly.

Immediately I could feel more air coming out of the vents.  I'm amazed at how much that dirty filter was restricting airflow.  I think I'll make this a yearly routine right before the cold temps hit.  And I hope that the 2nd time around I won't have any bruised knuckles.

Anyone know the best place to pick up an air filter?  In Canada, it's $40 for a Motorcraft filter from the dealer, $48 for a Napa gold filter from Napa and $33 for a Fram filter from Canadian Tire.  The Fram filter doesn't fit very well and I won't purchase it next time.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·