Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Where's the Cabin Air Filter?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 25 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUSA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:cmax

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:04 PM

I just did mine.  I  live in a colder climate and noticed that the windows were not clearing as fast, the cabin wouldn't warm up very fast and the windows would fog really easily if you tried to breathe.  It wasn't like this when I first got the car.  After reading the forums, it dawned on me that there is a cabin filter.

I have prepaid maintenance so I assumed the dealer had been changing it.  I seem to forget the dealer I used to go to is pretty sketchy.  Thankfully I don't go to them anymore.  So rather than wait for my next maintenance cycle, I decided to replace the filter right away.  We will have more cold weather, winter is far from over in Canada, so more airflow and faster cabin heating times are important.  I have just shy of 60,000 km and the filter was filthy.  Shoehorned the new one in there.  T15 bit fit perfectly.

Immediately I could feel more air coming out of the vents.  I'm amazed at how much that dirty filter was restricting airflow.  I think I'll make this a yearly routine right before the cold temps hit.  And I hope that the 2nd time around I won't have any bruised knuckles.

Anyone know the best place to pick up an air filter?  In Canada, it's $40 for a Motorcraft filter from the dealer, $48 for a Napa gold filter from Napa and $33 for a Fram filter from Canadian Tire.  The Fram filter doesn't fit very well and I won't purchase it next time.

RockAuto.com

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#62 ONLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 527 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:25 PM

Anyone know the best place to pick up an air filter?  In Canada, it's $40 for a Motorcraft filter from the dealer, $48 for a Napa gold filter from Napa and $33 for a Fram filter from Canadian Tire.  The Fram filter doesn't fit very well and I won't purchase it next time.

If you have amazon prime, that might be a good deal.  https://www.amazon.c...abin air filter

Here's one on ebay for less that $10 dollars, says OEM but doesn't mention motorcraft.  Seller has 100% positive reviews.

http://www.ebay.com/...phWXfsz&vxp=mtr

• homestead likes this

#63 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 147 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:04 AM

I got mine on amazon too after I tried several local parts stores - you would think a "Ford Focus" cabin air filter would be a common item to stock..

#64 ONLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 527 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:35 PM

Changed mine today at 19.5k miles (before watching the video) and it took less than 10 minutes.  My second one will take considerably less time (assuming I can still bend over and then get back up from the awkward position). :)   My CAF was not nearly as dirty as fotomoto's CAF (I'll probably wait longer next time - at least to 20k).

I wonder what Ford's shop time is for this? Do they charge in 15 minute TU?  Local Ford parts guy wanted to sell me a CAF for about $25 plus tax compared to less than $20 including shipping online.  When I said I can get one from a Ford dealer online shipped free priority mail for less than $20,  he said he couldn't discount his.  Ordered CAF Friday afternoon and arrived Tuesday around noon.  

Also, so one doesn't have to spend 25+ minutes watching the video, one can follow the steps below. You'll need a T20 bit / screwdriver (a T15 will be a loose fit but will work) and a light to see.

1) put passenger seat all the way back, remove passenger floor mat (if you have a mat over the carpet it might interfere with procedure) and locate fiber cover between under side of dash and floor held in place by 2 plastic caps on posts projecting down from under dash.

2) remove two plastic caps from posts (turn / pull caps from posts), slip post holes in fiber cover over posts, and pull fiber cover out

3) locate CAF cover with plastic squeeze tabs to the left near firewall under the passenger dash on the center console vertical surface.and remove screw at bottom of CAF cover with T20 bit

4) compress plastic tabs on CAF cover and while compressing pull cover off (pull down and out while compressing tabs)

5) grab CAF and pull / wiggle out of slot (note the foam seal is to the engine compartment)

6) squeeze new CAF on flexible pleated sides to make rigid  top and bottom come closer together as you insert top then bottom into CAF slot making sure the foam seal is towards the engine (it's not as hard as the video makes it appear) and then push / slide / wiggle remainder of CAF into slot

7) reverse steps 1) - 4)

So I finally got around to changing my filter.  I was surprised that it didn't look very dirty, and slightly dirtier on one side, not sure if it was the side closest to the opening or closer to the driver.  I was disappointed that some of the plastic along where the passenger's left foot would run was out of place and too much of a challenge to put back.

Thought I would add a couple points.  

1. I used/needed a pad to put my knees on.

2. This is not a finest job.  For me, this is a pull it out - stuff it back in job. (if I removed the glove box, which would have been a lot more work, then it would be a more a finest job.)

It was easier than I thought it would be.  The cover was pretty easy to take off and put back.  And yes, the positioning of me is a challenge for my body.

I did watch the video a long time ago but decided not to review it with Plus 3's highlights.

Thanks for everybody's ideas.

Edited by obob, 29 June 2017 - 09:26 AM.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·