How do I turn off my DRL's?

I believe DRLs are installed on US "Fleet" sales versions, as in rentals and large corporate purchases, but are not available on consumer versions.  If you are unfortunate enough to have been stuck with DRLs I suspect you cannot turn them off.   Check with your dealer....

Are you maybe confusing the fog lamps for DRL's?

I for one would love to have DRL's.  If it was an easy add-on accessory, I'd get them because with the inattentive drivers around here I need all the help I can get!   :sos:

really? i'm not some clueless driver wearing white socks with Jesus sandals and i eat meat too - :hysterical:

it is DRL's and it operates from the low-beams and i noticed it was a $45 charge too    :superhero:

56388874036768-vi.jpg

Edited by armoredsaint

really? i'm not some clueless driver wearing white socks with Jesus sandals and i eat meat too - :hysterical:

it is DRL's and it operates from the low-beams and i noticed it was a $45 charge too    :superhero:

56388874036768-vi.jpg

Nice, I would like DRL's also.

If its only $45 dollars that must mean there is a $5 dollar relay that you can plug in somewhere.

Who has a shop manual that can research this?

Edited by leenanj

The daytime running light function is enabled in software at the factory.  There is no relay or wiring changes for DRL.

However, according to several posts on blueovalforums.com, starting with 2013 model year, DRL cannot be enabled or disabled by dealer service technicians.

Dealer service techs have tried to enable DRL using IDS software, but the DRL enable parameter is no longer accessible.

This is directly from the shop manual:

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

The DRL system consists of the low beams and the BCM.

The DRL system operates the low beam headlamps at a reduced intensity to increase the visibility of the vehicle in traffic.

NOTE: The DRL is a programmable parameter for this vehicle.

The DRL system utilizes the existing circuitry and components from the headlamp system and operates the low beam headlamps at a reduced intensity.

The BCM monitors the ignition status, the headlamp switch and autolamp status.

Based on the inputs, the BCM activates the DRL.

The DRL are activated when the ignition is in RUN and the low beams have not been turned on by the autolamp system or the headlamp switch.

The daytime running light function is enabled in software at the factory.  There is no relay or wiring changes for DRL.

However, according to several posts on blueovalforums.com, starting with 2013 model year, DRL cannot be enabled or disabled by dealer service technicians.

Dealer service techs have tried to enable DRL using IDS software, but the DRL enable parameter is no longer accessible.

This is directly from the shop manual:

The DRL system consists of the low beams and the BCM.

The DRL system operates the low beam headlamps at a reduced intensity to increase the visibility of the vehicle in traffic.

NOTE: The DRL is a programmable parameter for this vehicle.

The DRL system utilizes the existing circuitry and components from the headlamp system and operates the low beam headlamps at a reduced intensity.

The BCM monitors the ignition status, the headlamp switch and autolamp status.

Based on the inputs, the BCM activates the DRL.

The DRL are activated when the ignition is in RUN and the low beams have not been turned on by the autolamp system or the headlamp switch.

good info - too bad they make it so difficult.

good info - too bad they make it so difficult.

My question is was this 2013 Ford C-MAX a special ordered Vehicle that (you) purchased  or a Company Fleet Vehicle that your driving?  If you bought this Vehicle from Dealer Inventory, it was either a Fleet Ordered Vehicle that was never Sold or Delivered to the original Purchaser (or) it had to be a mistake, period.  The MY 2013 C-MAX Order Guide specifically states that DRL`s, Daytime Running Lights are a Fleet Only Option requiring a Valid "FIN" Fleet Identification Number in order to add Option # 942.  I live in the Florida Keys and DRL`s are very important due to the extreme Sun and narrow roads, especially RT 1, The Overseas Highway.  I had my 2011 Ford Fiesta`s DRL`s enabled and activated by the local Ford Dealership in 10 minutes with about 10 clicks of his Mouse and IDS Programmer hooked up to my Vehicles Smart Junction Box.  I (DO) want the DRL`s  and I told my Dealer, if they can`t order them for the $45 and can`t enable and activate them on the C-Max, its No Deal!  Why Ford does not make them Standard Equipment like most manufacturers is a mystery.  At the very least. they should make it available as an option (like Chrysler) for those that want it.  Ford insists on "Fleet Only" availability?  Just another unsolved mystery I guess.

Yes, amoredsaint has a company owned car as per another thread.

Yesterday morning was my first one with the cmax in heavy fog.  I noticed several drivers who didn't have their lights one and was cussing at them.  Then I noticed most of these folks were in newer Fords followed closely in noticing that mine were no longer on either!!!  The sensor for the auto lamps is too optimistic IMO and turns them off too soon.  DRL would help.

Yes, amoredsaint has a company owned car as per another thread.

Yesterday morning was my first one with the cmax in heavy fog.  I noticed several drivers who didn't have their lights one and was cussing at them.  Then I noticed most of these folks were in newer Fords followed closely in noticing that mine were no longer on either!!!  The sensor for the auto lamps is too optimistic IMO and turns them off too soon.  DRL would help.

+1

why can't Ford like most car company make it on or off options - it boggles my mind on why it's so hard for them?

+1

why can't Ford like most car company make it on or off options - it boggles my mind on why it's so hard for them?

I agree, except where it is mandated by Law like in Canada, (all) Auto Manufacturers should equip their entire Fleet with either DRL`s or LED`s with an easy way to either enable or disable the feature.  Perhaps one day the NHTSA will finally decide one way or the other the merits or disadvantages of DRL`s.  Set a date and afterwards all Car makers will either offer or discontinue the practice once an for all.  Its either a (good) idea or a (bad) feature.  Offer some guidance and end this madness.  Some Manufacturers like Hyundai and Kia put them on some Vehicles and not others.  Are DRL`s  or LED`s a safety feature or just a trim upgrade for appearance sake?

I agree, except where it is mandated by Law like in Canada, (all) Auto Manufacturers should equip their entire Fleet with either DRL`s or LED`s with an easy way to either enable or disable the feature.  Perhaps one day the NHTSA will finally decide one way or the other the merits or disadvantages of DRL`s.  Set a date and afterwards all Car makers will either offer or discontinue the practice once an for all.  Its either a (good) idea or a (bad) feature.  Offer some guidance and end this madness.  Some Manufacturers like Hyundai and Kia put them on some Vehicles and not others.  Are DRL`s  or LED`s a safety feature or just a trim upgrade for appearance sake?

DRLs can be insignificant to safety. Thus, it's may not be a good idea nor is it a bad feature with respect to safety.  Conclusions on two NHTSA studies below.

gallery_167_32_51457.jpg

gallery_167_32_42763.jpg

DRL's could have a negative impact on a hybrid vehicle that already has issues with keeping a 12v battery charged.  I like the fact the C-Max has an indicator light that makes it easy to see if the headlights are on or not.  I usually keep my headlights on auto but if I want to override the system I manually turn them on.

if I want to override the system I manually turn them on.

I recently discovered that if you have the lights on and power off the car, an alarm chimes ja warning ust like most other modern cars.  Here's the cool part I discovered: if you then rotate the selector from "on" to "auto" and exit the vehicle, the lights will turn off.  Nice.  Why is so cool?  In my former prius if you did the same thing, the headlights would remain on.  IOW, the auto setting you had selected wouldn't take effect until you powered up the car again.  Thus if not for a nice neighbor, I would have burned down and possibly ruined the prius 12V battery after doing this on the first day of ownership.

Edited by fotomoto

stupid thing with my former Prius is that it had everything except the AUTO function, but it you kept it in the ON position and turn off your car, it will shut-off in 30 seconds iirc. Worked each and every time.

man do I miss the LED/turn lights and projector lamps - about the only thing I miss in it. I don't miss being labeled in a certain demographic for people who drive a Prius  ;)  :hysterical: