Heated Seat control options

Jbtbga

I have had a problem with the heated front seats, which are too hot for my comfort, even on a setting on 1. Asked my local dealership and was told that the heat level of the seats depended on how hot the temperature control was set for the overall interior. I have never heard of this before. Is it true or was I just lied to?

The seat temperature should vary based on the setting.

This is from the shop manual:

Heated Seats

The heated seat switches adjust the driver or passenger seat to the desired heat setting: 0 through 5 (setting 0 is off, 1 is the lowest and 5 is the highest). Each heated seat switch position sends a unique voltage signal to the associated driver or passenger heated seat module. The heated seat module supplies heater current to the seat cushion and backrest heater mats while monitoring input from a temperature sensor (part of the seat cushion heater mat) to maintain the desired seat temperature (setpoint) selected by the heated seat control switch. The heated seat remains on until the heated seat switch is turned off or the ignition is turned off.

Heated Seat Switch

The heated seat switch contains two 6-position rotary (potentiometer) switches (one for the driver side and the other for the passenger side). The heated seat switch supplies a voltage signal to the corresponding driver or passenger heated seat module based upon the selected switch positions.

Heated Seat Module

When commanded by the heated seat switch, the driver/passenger heated seat module monitors the seat cushion temperature sensor and supplies heater current to the seat cushion and backrest heater mats until the desired setpoint temperature is reached. Once the setpoint temperature is reached, the heated seat module cycles the heater circuits on/off as required to maintain the setpoint temperature.

Heater Mat

The seat cushion heater mat is equipped with a temperature sensor (thermistor) which provides feedback to the heated seat module. The backrest heater mat can be serviced separately from the cushion heater mat. The cushion and backrest heater mats are connected in series.

I have had a problem with the heated front seats, which are too hot for my comfort, even on a setting on 1. Asked my local dealership and was told that the heat level of the seats depended on how hot the temperature control was set for the overall interior. I have never heard of this before. Is it true or was I just lied to?

Boooooooogus.  The seat heaters work the same with the climate system turned off as they do with the climate system at any on setting.

As a follow up, I got my car back from the dealer after complaining to the. Service manager. They said both front seats were within factory specs for the heaters. Does anyone else think the seats are too hot on setting 1, or do I have the world's most sensitive butt?

As a follow up, I got my car back from the dealer after complaining to the. Service manager. They said both front seats were within factory specs for the heaters. Does anyone else think the seats are too hot on setting 1, or do I have the world's most sensitive butt?

Well when set on 1, they are not too hot for me or any of my passengers.  So I will say that you do likely have a very sensitive butt LOL

Others have complained about the seat being too hot even at the lowest setting.  If I've been out in the cold I like it at 1 or 2.  Oftentimes 1 is too hot for me, so I'll just turn it on when I get in and turn it off at the first feeling off warmth.  It takes the chill off the seat and then my body heat keeps it warm from there.

It would be great it they could make it so that it could either heat, cool, or be off.  Choices are a great thing!

I have the heated seats, here in Miami Beach, Florida.  I'm sure I will get a lot of use out of that feature.  :nonono:   No choice: Just like the other things I didn't particularly want or need, I had to get them to get the ones I really want.  (At least I can still get the ones that I want.)

I agree, setting 1 is too hot. I'm almost afraid to try any setting higher than that.

It's probably great for people wearing lots of winter layers for extreme cold, but if it's only mildly cold out and you just have a pair of jeans on, it's way too hot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If any techie types have put a resistor in the heater wire, I'd love to hear about it

I was going to suggest exactly that... It should be pretty easy to just stick a resistor in series to limit the current.  Just make sure you pick one that can handle whatever power it has to dissipate.

On a "cold" (I live in LA, it's never really cold) morning I can stand "1" for about 20 minutes.  My girlfriend will run it on 5, but she's cold if the outside temp is less than 100F. 

I've noticed none of the posts occur in Dec., Jan., or Feb.; just late spring or summer.  :detective:

I think they work fine here in south Texas.  I wished the butt/back sections operated separately as #1 feels quite soothing on my back at the end of a long day.  These seat heaters allowed me to drive in my Energi through the entire winter (30's & 40's) without or rarely using electric cabin heat (which reduces EV range).