Getting GPS Module Replaced!

When the location indicator trails your car by 100-200' traveling at 45-50 on a straight road for miles, then when you make a turn it turns into whatever area is next to it at the time, but stays closer to the real position when doing 25 and shows the same turn correctly, it's clearly not a mapping error.

Replacing the GPSM fixed this problem for now many people with the old map software still in place.  If anyone has the same problem and uses the GPS, I recommend going through the hassle to get the hardware replaced.

sometimes map data is wrong.did u verify navteq? they have a site to report errors

was there roads below ?

gps thinks you are on other roads. sometimes it doesn't snap back to correct road.

suggest posting this gps issue (and other known cmax issues even mft, etc) on the nhtsa site as a complaint so they gather the data. this has more power to get a fix if there are many people reporting same issue. companies with too many complaints get warnings to resolve

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners

I thought the NHTSA only worried about safety related issues?

I also thought people who follow their GPS/NAV system on to a railroad track are automatically entered in the Annual Darwin Award?

http://eeob.osu.edu/events/eeob-annual-darwin-award-presentations

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this thread, are the issues fixed with updated? Mine is 2013 and supposedly had all the updates done (not sure the SIM GPS Card or any NAV updates?) or anything else,

My GPS has been dead on since I got the car in Aug and put almost 7000 miles on it. We have taken quite a few trips with it and it's been very accurate.

NOW, just tonight it started being about 200-400' off, it was saying I was on a parallel road when I was on the hiway next to it? SOmething just started happening, I haven't done anything else to the car.

Ok, thanks. I'll keep an eye on it. just started today. I don;t what version it has in it

. The Sim Card just says A4. 

I got on MyFord/mysync and says the it has the latest updates as of March 2014  Ver. 3.6.2 ?

Edited by WNY

I've had problem that sounds like yours, and it required a module replacement. Look next to "Zoom Out" button for a little GPS icon with a red X. This showed up when mine malfunctioned, which was temporary. I could fix it by removing and reseating the SD card until it was corrected.

post-1320-0-86514800-1398697403_thumb.jpg

TSB14-0037 R/R GPSM fixed it. No issues since, although you can confuse the poor thing if you know where you're going.

HAve fun,

Frank

post-1320-0-27163200-1448910689_thumb.jpg

Edited by fbov

Hi WNY, 

Please PM me your VIN and I'll see why you don't have version 3.8 available for download. 

Rebecca

Haven't seen the Red X for the GPS or any errors codes. The maps all follow the car, just sometimes it's 200-500' off and shows driving on other roads parallel or a little behind on the highway at the off ramps, etc....

PM Sent. 

Thanks!! 

I still show these 2 recalls on my MyFord Page for my car. I thought they did all the updates/recalls when I bought the car back in Aug. 

• VIN:
  • FSA Title: 12 VOLT BATTERY TEST AND MODULE SOFTWARE UPDATE
  • Field Service Action Number: 15B04

• VIN:
  • FSA Title: SYNC WITH MYFORD/MYLINCOLN TOUCH - WARRANTY EXTENSION COVERING ACCESSORY PROTOCOL INTERFACE MODULE (APIM)
  • Field Service Action Number: 12M02
Edited by WNY

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have the part number for the GPS module that needs to be replaced?

I'm assuming it's the same one for an Energi.

Mine is drifting and after a couple days at the dealer I've been told it's not covered under the SYNC warranty and that "there is no problem with the GPS module" based on the fact that they don't see any error codes.  Apparently what it's actually doing is irrelevant.  They are also insisting that I need a $188 map update before anything else.

So at this point I'm just trying to find out what the actual item is that needs to be replaced.

Thanks!

Levi

Mine is drifting and after a couple days at the dealer I've been told it's not covered under the SYNC warranty and that "there is no problem with the GPS module" based on the fact that they don't see any error codes.  Apparently what it's actually doing is irrelevant.  They are also insisting that I need a $188 map update before anything else.

So at this point I'm just trying to find out what the actual item is that needs to be replaced.

Thanks!

Levi

I believe this is the GPS Module (GPSM) that is located behind the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC).  Call the dealer parts dept. and ask for the part number of the GPSM to verify?

Thanks!

Levi

Before paying $188 for an updated SD card for the nav. check on ebay  for better prices. 

I believe this is the GPS Module (GPSM) that is located behind the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC).  Call the dealer parts dept. and ask for the part number of the GPSM to verify?

Hmm, thanks, I hadn't seen that module yet...  Maybe if I call a different dealer.  The one I went to already quoted $750 for the part, so I'm sure they think it's something else.

I found this video:

One person on there says they have to pull fuse 67 and 79 every 6 months to fix it.  So I'll try that free fix first.

But they also list the GPS Antenna module as the fix:

Part# CJ5Z-10E893-C

That's the video I made.  Last time I looked it had over 10,000 views.  Looking at it now I should have used the other viewing mode where the map is not fixed with north being at the top, but I think it makes the point.

After getting the module replaced the problem was instantly gone, and has not reappeared in the three years since then - even with the old mapping software!

(More forum access issues continue to get in the way. Can't quote, can't paste, cant' see the forum - THIS IS BROKEN!!!)

I would paste the service codes when mine was replaced, under a TSB, but PASTE is not a supported function.

No longer having fun,

Frank

• 1 year later...

I have just discovered that, intermittently, the central NAV arrow sits slightly above or below the road I am on.   I'm assuming the warranty is over for this GPS module (car purchased March 2014). 

You probably just need a software update for the GPS module.(Which in Ford world apparently gets the module a new part# even if no hardware is changed).

My 2013 Energi was showing as far as another road with an entire divided highway between it and the road I was actually on.(but only intermittently)

Dealership was idiotic in about a half dozen ways and told me that there was no problem(even though they didn't drive it as far as I told them to see the error) and that if I DID want them to continue to look at it, I'd need to buy a map update for $180(even though our roads haven't changed in 20+ years).

The short of it is that I ended up doing the software update myself and mine has been trouble free ever since.

Yeah it's not the sync software it's the actual module software. The IDS stuff that you need a programmer and the Ford software to do. It's been quite a while since I did it but as I recall I paid around $100 for the adapter and software on eBay. Really only cause I was so fed up with the dealer. It was super sketchy involving a virtual machine and a trial day on Ford software. And Ford's software makes windows 3.1 look futuristic. REALLY unintuitive in any way.

But basically every single thing in your car is a module and has its open version of software/programming. The Ford software found a new version for my GPS module, I downloaded that, then updated it on the car and it's been good since.

I would definitely recommend just trying to find a dealer with half a brain (I've yet to succeed there) and see if they will just update your GPS module software.

I can't even begin to express how fed up I was with our dealer.  The last straw was taking the car in three times for a loose door panel, only to find it popping loose two or three days after the "repair".     I fixed it myself and it has been fine since.

But thanks anyway.  I may try another dealer in a neighboring suburb for the module software update.

Edited by Adrian_L