Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Getting GPS Module Replaced!

GPMS GPS

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Louder North

Louder North

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 92 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOttawa
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:53 PM

Does anyone have the part number for the GPS module that needs to be replaced?

I'm assuming it's the same one for an Energi.

Mine is drifting and after a couple days at the dealer I've been told it's not covered under the SYNC warranty and that "there is no problem with the GPS module" based on the fact that they don't see any error codes.  Apparently what it's actually doing is irrelevant.  They are also insisting that I need a $188 map update before anything else.

So at this point I'm just trying to find out what the actual item is that needs to be replaced.

Thanks!

Levi

Before paying $188 for an updated SD card for the nav. check on ebay  for better prices. 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 433 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:34 PM

And the latest nav version will NOT solve this problem.

#43 OFFLINE   livesmith

livesmith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 83 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationWestern NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi with Pano Roof

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:45 AM

I believe this is the GPS Module (GPSM) that is located behind the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC).  Call the dealer parts dept. and ask for the part number of the GPSM to verify?

Hmm, thanks, I hadn't seen that module yet...  Maybe if I call a different dealer.  The one I went to already quoted $750 for the part, so I'm sure they think it's something else.

I found this video:

One person on there says they have to pull fuse 67 and 79 every 6 months to fix it.  So I'll try that free fix first.

But they also list the GPS Antenna module as the fix:

Part# CJ5Z-10E893-C

#44 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 433 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:55 AM

That's the video I made.  Last time I looked it had over 10,000 views.  Looking at it now I should have used the other viewing mode where the map is not fixed with north being at the top, but I think it makes the point.

After getting the module replaced the problem was instantly gone, and has not reappeared in the three years since then - even with the old mapping software!

• JAZ and livesmith like this

#45 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,408 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:05 AM

(More forum access issues continue to get in the way. Can't quote, can't paste, cant' see the forum - THIS IS BROKEN!!!)

I would paste the service codes when mine was replaced, under a TSB, but PASTE is not a supported function.

No longer having fun,

Frank

#46 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 687 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

I have just discovered that, intermittently, the central NAV arrow sits slightly above or below the road I am on.   I'm assuming the warranty is over for this GPS module (car purchased March 2014). 

#47 OFFLINE   livesmith

livesmith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 83 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:38 PM

I have just discovered that, intermittently, the central NAV arrow sits slightly above or below the road I am on.   I'm assuming the warranty is over for this GPS module (car purchased March 2014). 

You probably just need a software update for the GPS module.(Which in Ford world apparently gets the module a new part# even if no hardware is changed).

My 2013 Energi was showing as far as another road with an entire divided highway between it and the road I was actually on.(but only intermittently)

Dealership was idiotic in about a half dozen ways and told me that there was no problem(even though they didn't drive it as far as I told them to see the error) and that if I DID want them to continue to look at it, I'd need to buy a map update for $180(even though our roads haven't changed in 20+ years).

The short of it is that I ended up doing the software update myself and mine has been trouble free ever since.

#48 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 687 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:27 PM

Mm... interesting.  I looked on the Ford site which is telling me my SYNC is up-to-date at version 3.6--even though it was November 2013 when it was installed.

Where did you find the software update for the GPS module?    I'd prefer a DIY fix.

#49 OFFLINE   livesmith

livesmith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 83 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:55 PM

Yeah it's not the sync software it's the actual module software. The IDS stuff that you need a programmer and the Ford software to do. It's been quite a while since I did it but as I recall I paid around $100 for the adapter and software on eBay. Really only cause I was so fed up with the dealer. It was super sketchy involving a virtual machine and a trial day on Ford software. And Ford's software makes windows 3.1 look futuristic. REALLY unintuitive in any way.

But basically every single thing in your car is a module and has its open version of software/programming. The Ford software found a new version for my GPS module, I downloaded that, then updated it on the car and it's been good since.

I would definitely recommend just trying to find a dealer with half a brain (I've yet to succeed there) and see if they will just update your GPS module software.

#50 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 687 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:53 PM

I can't even begin to express how fed up I was with our dealer.  The last straw was taking the car in three times for a loose door panel, only to find it popping loose two or three days after the "repair".     I fixed it myself and it has been fine since.

But thanks anyway.  I may try another dealer in a neighboring suburb for the module software update.

Edited by Adrian_L, 09 January 2018 - 07:54 PM.

#51 OFFLINE   livesmith

livesmith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 83 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:17 AM

I wish you luck. I took it to my local dealer for the GPS problem and it was just one thing after another dealing with them when it should have been so simple.

So when I needed the cell modem update recall done I tried a dealer over an hour away with a better reputation.  Better than the first but still a couple issues dealing with them.(though they did at least succeed in replacing the modem which is why I went there where as the first dealer failed above and beyond.)

The dealer frustration was the only reason I went so far as to spend $100 on an iffy ability to apply a patch to my car since the dealer would probably charge almost as much.(which should amount to 15 minutes of work from someone who knows what they are doing).

I have better luck sometimes at local shops.  You might try calling around and seeing if any of them have the Ford IDS software for programming/updating modules.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·