TSB 13-5-1, HYBRID AND ENERGI - 12VOLT BATTERY UNABLE TO HOLD CHARGE - CHARGING IMPROVEMENTS

TSB issued May 2, 2013 to address charging the 12 volt battery.

There is no manufacture cut-off date so this could apply to all vechicles in the field as of today's date.

ISSUE:

Some 2013 C-Max, Fusion Hybrid, Fusion Energi and MKZ Hybrid vehicles may exhibit a 12 volt battery which is unable to maintain a charge or becomes discharged when the vehicle is operated with maximum electrical loads for short drive cycles and then left unattended for several hours.

ACTION:

Reprogram the Direct Current/Direct Current (DC/DC) Converter Control Module to the latest calibration using IDS release 84.02 and higher.

Link to TSB

Edited by ceemax71

So, it looks like it would be beneficial for everyone to get this new calibration performed prior to their warranty running out since it's not a recall.   After warranty, Ford dealer will likely charge for it.  

From the TSB:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

thanks

as luck would have it my car is at the dealer now and i was due to pick it up this morning. They performed the older TSBs and also (separate issue) replaced a bad passive restraint sensor. Just called to ask them to do TSB 13-5-1. Would not have known about it without your help.

thanks

as luck would have it my car is at the dealer now and i was due to pick it up this morning. They performed the older TSBs and also (separate issue) replaced a bad passive restraint sensor. Just called to ask them to do TSB 13-5-1. Would not have known about it without your help.

Dude you better like ceemax's post then, pass some appreciation around :rockon:

Picked up the car this afternoon. The service adviser told me he contacted the hotline and the TSB was so new that even the engineer at Ford was startled.

Fingers crossed that all will go well from here on out.

Thanks to all who have been persistent in responding to Ford to let them know there was a problem and to all who have been sharing information.

My car hasn't arrived at the dealer yet, having a build date of April 29.  ETA of around May 12.  How can I check to see if it this has been done in mine?

The dealer service tech can check the as-built module programming on OASIS.

Bad news: dead battery 3 days after service.

Battery dead this morning. New symptoms: I opened the drivers door with my key. Inside the car I could hear two noises. From the front passenger side there was a repetitive clicking sound coming from the dashboard or shifter/storage console. From the rear of the car there was a repetitive low thumping sound, like a small electric motoring repeatedly trying to operate to open a door or hatch or something like that. All the doors and the rear hatch were locked.

My recent service included TSB 12-11-8, 13-4-7, and 13-5-1, and also two more items. The key fobs were reprogrammed to prevent the global open function for the windows from operating on their own (this had happened 4 times). And due to a warning light coming for the passive restraint system the RCM Module was replaced and then because that did not solve the problem they replaced the left front impact sensor and then because that did not solve the problem they removed the passenger seat to inspect the wiring and found "three high resistance circuit causing fault" and repaired those circuits.

The new dead battery problem could possibly stem from something that happened with wiring under the passenger seat. 

I am concerned that the battery could be damaged from being depleted and also that the switch and small electric motor being repeatedly activated could be damaged, too.

This is my second dead battery episode. The first was in december, just a few days after buying the car. 

My car will be towed to the dealer today or tomorrow, depending on my schedule.

I will let you know what happens.

• 2 weeks later...