I got my C-Max serviced for the battery problem today

BobJustBob

I got my C-Max serviced for the 12 volt battery problem today at the dealership at which I bought the vehicle.  They performed the service outlined on the following two technical service bulletins (TSB's):

13-4-13  Reprogram the FCDIM and clear codes

13-5-1    Reprogram the direct current converter module

It took a little over three hours to perform the service.  Almost all of this time was spent downloading the software fixes into my car which they plugged directly into the LAN at the dealership.  These 21st century cars are as much computers as they are vehicles!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this fixes the problem.  I had the 12 volt battery die twice within the same week during the last week in March.

By the way, thanks to everyone in this subforum who made me aware of the 13-4-13 TSB, for I am the one who made the dealership aware of this fix and insisted that they look into it.

Has anyone seen an improvement since the "fix"?  My Energi is going to the dealer tomorrow.  I saw 12.3 volts yesterday after the car had been out for a quick 3 mile drive and then sat for about 2 hours.  (Earlier in the day it was driven about 18 miles total and recharged.)  Every night I'm making sure that the voltage is closer to 12.9 volts, or I'm charging it with a 12 volt charger to make sure that my wife can use it the next day without any problems.  

We made one trip yesterday, about 15 minutes going each way, so not much time to charge the battery.  I just checked and its at 12.2v which is not great, but better than the 11.9 I saw before the fix.  I wonder if I left the car "running" for an hour what the result would be, as I assume the charge rate at "idle" would be that same as that at driving speeds.  I might try that today.

We made one trip yesterday, about 15 minutes going each way, so not much time to charge the battery.  I just checked and its at 12.2v which is not great, but better than the 11.9 I saw before the fix.  I wonder if I left the car "running" for an hour what the result would be, as I assume the charge rate at "idle" would be that same as that at driving speeds.  I might try that today.

Thanks for the update.  Now I wonder if I'm wasting my time taking it to the dealer.   I will also try your test.  Could you check the voltage before and after your trip?  Also please note if the battery cooling fans are operating.  If there is a load on the battery it will definitely dip down a few tenths of a volt.   I might try to purchasing a cheap car voltmeter that plugs in to the 12 volt socket to monitor the battery voltage all the time.   

I use a digital plug in meter, similar to but not as nice as this one: http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3721-Battery-Charging-Monitor/dp/B000EVWDU0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1VYZFBVSO1X0Y&coliid=I27DCAGZYVA68Z  I only check the voltage for this purpose (not charging) when the car is off with the front 12v outlet temporarily activated, so no fans running.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

I use a digital plug in meter, similar to but not as nice as this one: http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3721-Battery-Charging-Monitor/dp/B000EVWDU0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1VYZFBVSO1X0Y&coliid=I27DCAGZYVA68Z I only check the voltage for this purpose (not charging) when the car is off with the front 12v outlet temporarily activated, so no fans running.

Thanks. That looks almost perfect. I just ordered a bunch of stuff on Amazon yesterday. Could have got free shipping. My wife had already put the car on the charger before I had a chance to get the initial reading after her last drive. I turned off the charger and it read 11.9 with the door open and 12.2 with it closed. When I plugged it back in it started charging the 12 volt battery. I drove the car 3.5 miles one-way, and the voltage was over 13 every time I checked while it was running. It would be nice to record it real-time to get a trend.

Edited by 67gtcougar

Yeah, I always have one more thing from Amazon that I should have included in an order!  Did throw in those puddle LED lights today to a portable radio order though.

I went out today.  On the first segment of the trip the voltage was reading at 14.5v which is an excellent charging volt.  Went 5 miles.  Two hours later went another 5 miles but this time the voltage was reading 13.8v.  So either the batt got a good charge on the first trip segment, or something else is happening.  Will measure resting voltage again after the Energi re-charge is done.

Yeah, I always have one more thing from Amazon that I should have included in an order!  Did throw in those puddle LED lights today to a portable radio order though.

I went out today.  On the first segment of the trip the voltage was reading at 14.5v which is an excellent charging volt.  Went 5 miles.  Two hours later went another 5 miles but this time the voltage was reading 13.8v.  So either the batt got a good charge on the first trip segment, or something else is happening.  Will measure resting voltage again after the Energi re-charge is done.

I also saw the voltage start out at over 14 volts and then read somewhere over 13 when I arrived with the car still running.  

Edited by 67gtcougar

• 2 weeks later...