Sending Destinations To Navigation Using Mapquest

Now that my GPS is working properly thanks to the module replacement, I thought I would look into the feature that allows locations found via MapQuest to be sent to the Navigation system via the SYNC feature. Since I went through a little learning curve in doing this, I thought I would pass on my findings so others will have it easier. If anyone has anything to add or correct to this please do.

First I did a search, and found all the gripping about Ford dropping Google Maps (yeah! why use the best?), but eventually found Fords instructions for this process. http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/send-to-sync Of course they had to be cute about it and put into six steps and six clicks to read them one by one (okay, there is a button at the bottom to see them all at once.). I'll combine them and add my edits to make them actually understandable to the novice:

1. Use the MapQuest® website to locate a business or address you wish to send to the Navigation system. http://www.mapquest.com/

2. Select Send. Send is in the upper right corner of the MapQuest webpage.

3. Select the Car option. Then select "SNYC" and enter the active mobile phone number for your SYNC Owner account and add a name for your designation if you wish.  Select Send.  Only one Destination can be sent and Sync'd at a time.

4. After receiving notification in your browser that the location was successfully sent, take your cell phone, with it on, to your car and either start it or enter Accessory mode. When SYNC is on and sync'd to your phone, pull the Voice icon paddle on your steering wheel and say "Services".

5. SYNC will say "Connecting", then "Services. MapQuest has sent you the map point in (town then name assigned)", and ask if you'd like directions to destination. Say “Yes”. SYNC will say "Great. Sending."  (Saying No will result in the destination not being loaded into the Navigation system.)

6. Do not end the call until it announces  the route download is complete and "You may now use your phone".  It will automatically disconnect the call.

7. The destination is saved in the Destinations menu item, or to Favorites if you touched the "Save To Favorites" screen menu item.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

I had a trip to Houston this weekend and tried using map quest with a personalized route (scenic along the coast).  It was a fail.  Basically it loaded the destination and formulated its own route (interstate which I was trying to avoid).   :doh:  Also on another occasion, I tried to use map quest on my smartphone and it was a major PITA.  My understanding was googlemaps did work with this feature but has been neutered.  Not sure who's to blame, Ford or Google, but I wish they would kiss and make up.  :waiting:

OTOH while in Houston, I needed to quickly use the sirius travel link to find a certain restaurant via voice commands.  Even without using a live operator, it worked like a charm. 

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am not sure why one would want to send instructions via Mapquest, but that is one I have not tried.  My problem is my nav system will not plan a route to any place in Baltimore, Md, not even City Center, map, etc.  I need to travel there several places.  My last thought was to use geo coodinates, but that option does not appear in Destinations, although the C-max manual shows that option.  I am thinking my map is corrupted.  Do you see geo coordinates on your Nav?  Any advice will be appreciated

... send instructions via Mapquest ...

Just to clarify, instructions are not what's being sent. Just the address is.

Now that you realize that, you might now understand the appeal, but if not, for me, the appeal is much quicker entry. If, for example, I know now, at my desk, that I'm going out to dinner tonight with some friends at a restaurant I've never been to, I might have the foresight to search MapQuest right now for that restaurant's address. When I get in the car later, I can easily pull the Voice trigger and say, "Services." That's it. That's all I have to do, and the car will (in a few seconds) respond, "New address received; would you like to set this as your destination?" When I say, "Yes," the car just imports the address, but then it calculates the route, which may or may not be the same as the route MapQuest would've chosen. :)

So, yeah, it's pretty neat.

What I haven't done yet (but keep meaning to do) is see if I can use that feature to save to the car's Favorites and use names that contain lowercase letters. I hate that since the last MFT update, that's become impossible (at least, in car) (but probably though MapQuest too) (though I won't really know until I try).

Go to mapquest.com, search for something, when that something is on the screen, click "Send" in the upper right, select Car, select Sync, enter your phone number, click Send.

It's that easy. There's one extra step if what you searched for returns multiple results. In that case, on the same screen where you enter your phone number, you'll also select WHICH of the found results you want to send.

I just did it last night, so I can confirm it still works.  :)

Oh, I should have mentioned... ^ That only works if you've already been to syncmyride.com and linked your phone number to your account, which I forget how to do (because it was awhile ago) but I don't remember it being anything less than straight forward. Once that's set up, it's also important that your phone be in the car and paired with the stereo. THEN, pull the stalk, say "Services," etc.

Hey everyone,

Don't forget about the SYNC Destinations app available on your smartphone:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/destinations-app-sync-myford-touch

:)

I am not sure why one would want to send instructions via Mapquest, but that is one I have not tried.  My problem is my nav system will not plan a route to any place in Baltimore, Md, not even City Center, map, etc.  I need to travel there several places.  My last thought was to use geo coodinates, but that option does not appear in Destinations, although the C-max manual shows that option.  I am thinking my map is corrupted.  Do you see geo coordinates on your Nav?  Any advice will be appreciated

Please send me your VIN and the details in a private message. I'd like to look into this for you.

Rebecca

Are you involved with the development of SYNC Destinations, or can you get in touch with people who are?

I ask because, if so, please make the Vehicle Finder feature not require clicking on "Save this location" first. That's silly. The location should be saved automatically, as soon as my phone loses bluetooth connectivity with my car. I mean, right?

I am not, but I can answer this for you, CarpeNivem. The app is designed to give you access to your SYNC account - anytime, anywhere; it doesn't detect when the phone is connected to your SYNC system. For this particular feature of the application, it uses your phone's GPS, so you have to press the "Save this location" button. .

Rebecca

As long as you pony up the $$ every year to maintain your Sync account, you can do this to send directions even to a non-nav-equipped, non-touchscreen C-Max. Your C-Max then gives you turn by turn voice and onscreen text guided nav to the destination, and the destination is saved to a list you can pull up again in your C-Max as desired. 

If you have a dumbphone, sending the directions takes a while because it's actually using an old-school dial-up modem in your C-Max over your cell phone connection. If you have a smartphone, you can download the Sync Destinations app and use it to send the directions to your 'Max almost instantly instead.

So...if you have a smartphone, why would you do this, given that it's just voice and text without any animated map to look at? Well, because you don't have to have a phone holder on your dash, and you don't have to have a cell signal, and every time you go into a McDonald's to pee mid-roadtrip you don't have a robot lady in your pocket telling you loudly to "RETURN TO THE ROUTE," and you don't have to curse your blasted MyFail infotainment system when it refuses to reconnect your phone's audio via USB when you get back in the car, etc.

But it's also less accurate than a cell-phone-only nav app, because it all it has is the car's GPS; it can't triangulate using cell towers or WiFi locations like your iPhone etc. can. So, probably not worth establishing or re-upping a paid Sync subscription for, but an amusing feature if you have a free trial subscription (I think some SEL buyers got up to 3 years free; we base-model cheapskates got 0 years free.)

Edited by HotPotato

• 2 months later...

I understand that the A4 was probably the latest when the car was built. I just thought it would be nice if Ford would have some type of policy or procedure to let a brand new purchaser obtain the current latest maps if they are down level at the time of purchase.

• 1 month later...

It appears the MapQuest feature of sending map coordinates to the Ford navigation system is no longer available. The Send to Car option is gone, and sending the location to the linked cell phone as a text message is not read by the Sync system.

However, the Ford Sync Destination app mentioned by Rebecca does work, although it does require the sending device to be connected to the internet when the car is on and synced to the cell phone.

• 4 weeks later...

Folks, it is by Microsoft.  You can use their software and tell that nobody tested it in real life.  Navigate through explorer.  You double click on an folder and it opens the folder at the BOTTTOM of the window knowing you are looking for something in the folder.  Proof that MS know a hell of a lot more about selling software than they do creating software.

I tried using MapQuest's "Send to Car" feature recently and it did NOT work. The error message wasn't helpful.

Then I realized that my Sync subscription had lapsed. Apparently, while free, that still requires annual renewal. You need to visit syncmyride.com and click that you want your free Sync subscription for another year. Yeah, you gotta say that. It doesn't just happen. :Sigh: Whatever.

Anyway, so with that done, I returned to MapQuest, and "Send to Car" works again! If anyone is having problems, try that.