Interesting information on the High Voltage Battery

HannahWCU

I found it, under driver assist, but it never entered into it.

I think if this hybrid has same motor and same engine as plug-in model, why the plug-in model can run up slope with electrical motor only, hybrid can only do it on very low speed?

Edited by webcontrol

How much battery reserve do you have available? That is all it is. The NRG will perform exactly the same as (or maybe slightly less than) the hybrid once its reserve is used up. There are some differences in the battery other than size, but they perform similarly once the Energi is in Hybrid mode.

I found it, under driver assist, but it never entered into it.

I think if this hybrid has same motor and same engine as plug-in model, why the plug-in model can run up slope with electrical motor only, hybrid can only do it on very low speed?

I go uphill all the time depending how much SOC I have in the HVB. I usually approach a hill with a little extra speed and bleed off some speed in EV before ICE takes over and if you still have enough SOC EV will assist ICE going up the hill. :) 

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I have the hybrid with no nav features and it absolutely does have and use EV+.  It recognizes at least 3 locations-- mine currently has home, work, and the coffee shop about a mile before work.  Conveniently, that gives me an extended EV+ range as aI get to work (typically stop for coffee then drive to work, but sometimes drive all the way in), since it starts to EV as I approach the coffee shop and then will continue all the way to work as long as I don't accelerate too hard.  It's dead flat between them.

On the way home, EV+ is useful and kicks on on the steepest (~10%) stretch of uphill as I approach home.  If I keep it under 25 mph, I can make it all the way up.  I then have a slightly longer and shallower downhill from the crest to the driveway, so I arrive at home with about a 50% charge.  Before EV+ recognized home, it would typically be full charge when I hit the driveway (from coasting down the hill to my house).

Maybe the speed is a factor. Our town speed limit is 50 mph, many people already hate me when I driving 35 mph.  I noticed driving 35 mph got better MPG than 50.  Since I don't have much chance to drive below 25mph, that is probably I don't see EV+.   I am happy my current accumulated 45.5MPG average from my past 17000 miles.

I think if Ford change its logic little bit, it will help improve MPG.  When car just started moving, a lot of times, gasoline engine kicked in immediately in the morning. I think that is no-no. At low temperature and low speed, engine runs at low RPM.  Gasoline engine is different from electrical motor.  At low RPM, gasoline engine's efficiency is very low.  Unless battery is very low, software should let battery drive the car to 5mph, then start gasoline engine.  Electrical motor does much better at low speed.

Also, when EV+ is set on, Ford should avoid using both gasoline engine and electrical motor at the same time.  In a lot of my driving around speed 45mph, both engine and motor running.  I got to have some way to control to let motor run only or gas engine run only by paddle the accelerator differently.  I think the accelerator paddle can detect not just the position, but also the rate of change, so that software can make proper decision based on user step how hard to decide which to run.

Edited by webcontrol

If there is no other vehicles behind my car while driving, I usually very light on the gas pedal so it runs on battery only.

If there is other vehicles behind my car while driving, I match their speed or at least get to slightly over the speed limit of the road, release the gas pedal and lightly press it.  Do that, and my car run (some times coasting) on battery only.

I saw somewhere on the web that posting that you can speed up your car fast from stop (just be mindful about the traffics, and this will also use the ICE) to get the gear into the higher gear, and then release the gas pedal and ease in it until certian degree and not all the way down: with this you can ride your car fast and use the battery mostly until about 1/4 left on the gauge.

Also, I turned off the EV+ on mine a long time ago (and it did turn on by itself because of my 12V battery problem, but I turned it off again).  It does work but not really useful unless you car is Energi model.  Of course, it depends how your driving prefrences are and how much you want your high-volt battery gauge remains (near full or 1/4 left) when you finish your driving trips.