Oil Monitor Reset

fotomoto

Just had Ruby's first oil change at the dealer.  The young tech. didn't reset the oil monitor so I had to do it.  

1. Turn the ignition key to the on position. Do not start the engine. For vehicles with push-button start, press and hold the start button for two seconds without pressing the brake pedal. Do not attempt to start the engine.

2. Press both the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time.

3. Keep both pedals fully pressed.

4. After three seconds, the Service: Oil reset in prog. message will be displayed.

3A2A7661-5401-429D-AAC3-00BEBEDA78DD-229

5. After 25 seconds, the Service: Oil reset complete message will be displayed.

020C7C67-3FCC-4FF7-ADC1-2CC698A768E8-229

6. Release both the accelerator and brake pedals.

7. The Service: Oil reset complete message will no longer be displayed.

8. Rotate the key to the off position.
For vehicles with push-button start, press the start button to turn the vehicle off completely. 

• 2 years later...

One additional note for people with a real key ignition (SE)

So turn the engine off.  Turn Key two clicks.  Do not move to third position which allows the car to move and turn engine on.  (this is what the "on" position means to me.)

Then press gas and brake hold them there.  A message will go on (as described above) for a few seconds and go away and later the final message will display for a few seconds and go away.

From Manual:

IGNITION SWITCH (IF EQUIPPED) 0 (Off): The ignition is off. Note: When you switch the ignition off and leave your vehicle, do not leave your key in the ignition. This could cause your vehicle battery to lose charge.

I (Accessory): Allows the electrical accessories, such as the radio, to operate while the engine is not running. Note: Do not leave the ignition key in this position for too long. This could cause your vehicle battery to lose charge.

II (On): All electrical circuits are operational and the warning lamps and indicators illuminate.

III (Start): Cranks the engine

Edited by obob

• 2 years later...

Just a note of thanks for these instructions. The Lube-n-Go tech tried but failed to reset the warning. 20 seconds of searching and reading revealed the answer (as is usual).

2013 Cmax SE, 45000 miles. I had a strange Sync system issue that was fixed under warranty but it scared me enough that I found a discounted genuine Ford extended warranty (from a dealer in Ohio, IIRC). Sure enough, 40 days later (30 days after the end of the three-year warranty was over), the Sync system failed and they needed to replace a $700 module with $200+ of labor. All was covered with a $100 deductible. As I plan to keep the Cmax until the end of the extended warranty (75000 miles), I expect there will be something else "electronic" that will fail that would otherwise cost a boatload of cash.