Center arm rest extender

AudenHoggart

Although I love the C-Max, one feature I don't love is the center console/arm rest.  We've got a Honda Civic where the arm rest cover of the center console can slide forward.  This moves the cover sufficiently forward so I can rest my right arm on it while driving.  I can't do that on the C-Max.  Are there any accessories (or other work-arounds) that would let me either  move the console cover forward as on the Honda Civic, or allow me to attach some type of addition at the front end?

Thanks!

That was one of the deal breakers for us.  We also have a Honda civic and I like that feature where the arm rest moves forward.  The other was that the drivers seat does not go up high enough for the 5foot 3inch wife. 

I like to start from the drivers seat out when reviewing a car and couldn't even get past that point with the seat height  but the things I did like in the C-max where the steering wheel, the many air vents, dual climate control, the blind spot mirrors and the air vents in the center console for the rear passengers, the optional lift gate and it felt like it had more power over the Prius V with a higher EV control (which really doesn't mean anything but cool.) 

Things I didn't like....the drivers seat height, no seat memory, lack of cargo space, that raised battery compartment

With all that said...I had a chance to rent a Prius V on a 400 mile road trip and even that car had things I liked and disliked.  Well It had none of the things that I liked with the C-Max...bad steering wheel design, not that many air vents, no blind spot mirrors and no air vents in the center console for the rear passengers, no optional lift gate (that lift is hard to close) and lack of power and a lower EV control.

With all that said...It was nice to have those "creatures of comfort" with the C-Max and yes I will miss what the C-Max delivered to the table but the Prius V was bigger and got better mileage and it is made by Toyota that I feel has a newer generation and better build reputation.

Edited by greensteve

My wife is 5-3 and also has a civic with the sliding armrest but she has no issues with either the armrest or seat height.   NOTE:  we have an SEL with a power seat so it might go higher than the SE.

SafetyNazi's should be along soon to tell you that you should always have both hands on the wheel at all times!   ;)

the Prius V was bigger and got better mileage and it is made by Toyota that I feel has a newer generation and better build reputation.

After the great mpg novelty wore off, the weak drivetrain/drone of my 2010 Prius began to gnaw at me.  I test drove a V twice and it was even worse in that respect.      Good luck with the V.

Edited by fotomoto

What do you mean by "after the great mpg novelty wore off"?

Just as you pointed out in your OP, there are many other things that make up the purchase decision.  Focusing on numbers alone will rarely lead to a good choice.  The prius line is well know for certain limitations (build materials, "tin can" feel, weak drivetrain, poor front seats) but they all help in their own way to better mpgs.   Some folks can look past these, some can't.

I am really surprised that I have not readily found any reports of the lithium ion batteries catching fire yet...I guess it might be a matter of time.

Hmm, my troll radar has picked up a faint echo.  Probably nothing...........but it might be a matter of time.   ;)

I really liked the C-max when it came to options because I was saying when checking out the Prius V for the first time I was like...should have had this and should have had that when it came to accessories.

I would say that in my 26 driving history having owned 4 crappy American cars and then owning my first Toyota Solara in 1999 and just recently selling it with no issues at all with 200k on it and enjoying the past 13 years not having to worry about new models out or looking for a used car...just drive and get me from point A to B with no issues left a lasting impression on me here on out.

I do hope that the future will change and I think I am seeing that now with American cars but that still has to be proven with time to win back buyers like myself.

hahaha I just mentioned the LI-ions because that is all that Ford needs right now in the hybrid market...but I see that all these companies put a lot of devotion in cooling their batteries almost to the point caring more to keep them cool then me in hot Florida! ;-) 

True though about your comments when making decisions when buying a car but in this case the main reason for even entertaining a hybrid market is for extending mpg's.  For Toyota to even put out a SUV style hybrid with the lowest mpg in their fleet but the highest in any other "suv" is purely to capture market share.  So here I am without a car on the fence about buying another car and wanting the world at my finger tips. 

Edited by greensteve

After the great mpg novelty wore off, the weak drivetrain/drone of my 2010 Prius began to gnaw at me.  

I'm a potential C-Max owner with a 2010 Prius and the same complaint about it, as well as several (many!) others.  I'd like to hear more about your Prius experience and why you chose a C-Max (and I don't want to hijack a thread, but I've not posted enough to PM you yet!).

Edited by bholdn

hahaha I know...it's just all that money I threw away at American cars that make me vent.  What's that saying...once bitten (my case 4 times) twice shy?  You know the cut still stings from time to time. ;-) 

Well I haven't bought a PriusV yet...in my spare time I build electric bikes so I am getting around town with that and my Honda civic...fun times but this is what we have on the menu in 2013 a mish mosh of technologies floating about but I now know that the game is mpg's and how it puts a dent in my wallet.

I would say the driving experience was nice with the C-Max and average with the PriusV.  The PriusV had no bells and whistles but I think the longer wheel base and I thought that the fake leather seats were ok a lot better than the standard Prius.  My wife is a big critiquer when it comes to driving and I thought for sure that the PriusV was going to kill her but to my crazy surprise it was the C-Max that didn't fit her.  So I think what I might do is to get her a PriusV and me probably something that includes plugin technology.

It just sucks that something in plain sight was overlooked.  Correction on the wife's height...it is 5foot 1inch so even in the SEL C-Max with the seat as high as it can go that armrest is useless and just didn't give her enough reach on the wheel.

Also one thing I didn't understand with the center armrest was the array of A/V connections in there.  Now I didn't look closely but if you have say 5 of those connections plugged in was there a way to route the wires out of the armrest?  or do you have to disconnect them every time and can you close the armrest door with wires plugged in? 

I was looking at the real plugin figures for hybrids and they really don't look that good...I just don't like the fact that electricity is being pushed...I can see that everyone has it already and that makes it viable but heck jacking up my electric bill I guess is a slightly lesser cost then gas.  Sad that harnessing the suns rays is still wicked expensive. 

I like the idea of liquid natural gas option or hydrogen as a future fuel...can reduce big time on our dependent from foreign oil but there doesn't seem to be a push as far as I can tell for it. 

Funny...it all looks like the days of which will win....Betamax or VHS so I guess we will be pawns in the game.

Also lets get that "custom" arm rest in production and sold on Ebay!  You will make millions!

I love hearing about everyone's mods.  I've never really done any to my cars, but the CMAX has such great tech already that adding a few enhancements will really up the advantages even more!  So, I am definitely going to do at least some.  Maybe there's even an armrest extension in my future!  ;)

Looking on the web it appears that sliding armrests are an option on some British C Max models.  Obviously they're not hybrids but that shouldn't affect center armrest tops.  I wonder if these would fit an American C Max as a replacement. 

Anyone have any info. or experience with this?

Ok so this is an issue with most of you that own this car and this was the case with most of these SUV's I was coming across when I was checking out all the different makes and models out there. 

AudenHoggart...nice find...A quick look at some UK ford sites and yes it appears British people have this feature!

Centre console
Premium, with sliding armrest, open stowage bins, CD storage, additional 12V front and rear power sockets, 2nd row airvents, and bright finish cup holder surrounds (includes woven headliner), Z-shape handbrake

Now does anyone know any UK people that have done this?

Ok so this is an issue with most of you that own this car and this was the case with most of these SUV's I was coming across when I was checking out all the different makes and models out there. 

AudenHoggart...nice find...A quick look at some UK ford sites and yes it appears British people have this feature!

Centre console

Premium, with sliding armrest, open stowage bins, CD storage, additional 12V front and rear power sockets, 2nd row airvents, and bright finish cup holder surrounds (includes woven headliner), Z-shape handbrake

Now does anyone know any UK people that have done this?

"Ok so this is an issue with most of you that own this car"

NO

Second bar (BLACK) from top of this page

White arrow by user ID (Your Profile) (click)

My Settings

'Ignore' Preferences

(under) Add a new user to my list

Ignore:  Posts    Signature    Messages

greensteve ( :baby: )  (Click)  posts.............Signatures...........Messages

Save Changes  (click)

happy%20feet.gif 

I'm a potential C-Max owner with a 2010 Prius and the same complaint about it, as well as several (many!) others.  I'd like to hear more about your Prius experience and why you chose a C-Max (and I don't want to hijack a thread, but I've not posted enough to PM you yet!).

Yeah, I don't like threadjacking either so I'll try to keep this short.  If you want to discuss further, please start a thread in the general forum as there are several former prius owners here who could also chime in.

I really hit on the major points in my previous post:  engine drone (the cmax isn't as bad), weak drivetrain (cmax much more HP/passing power/acceleration),  interior build quality, and tin can feel.   I found the seats fine for day to day but long trips brought on some pretty bad back pain that I've never experience in other cars.  The ingress/egress of the max is better since it's more of a suv/crosser ride height.  Driver's view is much better because of this.   The CMAX has more features and the overall feel and ride quality are much better.  The hands free tailgate may sound trivial but as you may know hatchback designs gets very dirty very quickly.  I use the hatch a lot and appreciate not getting my hands dirty groping around for the release and being able to close it from the front seat with a push of a button after the kids unload their band instruments/backpacks during school drop off. Yeah I know that sounds "soccer mom-ish" coming from a guy  :baby:  but that's something I have to deal with or rather not deal with on a daily basis.  The more powerful EV motor and longer EV distance of the 'max are most fully appreciated by those with significant prius seat time.   

I liked my Prius (level III with nav, jbl, solar roof, and leather) as it got the job done in the mpg department.  I got plug-in fever and dropped it for a Volt which truly is a game changer: 8 gallon fill up every six weeks, 165mpg lifetime, etc while delivering 275ft/lbs of electric torque acceleration but it was just too small for our changing family needs.  So the C-Max became the goldilocks solution for more room over the volt yet more power and features than the prius.  I got 44-46mpg in the Prius and currently netting 43mpg in the 'max.   YMMV 

Edited by fotomoto

That was one of the deal breakers for us.  We also have a Honda civic and I like that feature where the arm rest moves forward.  The other was that the drivers seat does not go up high enough for the 5foot 3inch wife. 

I like to start from the drivers seat out when reviewing a car and couldn't even get past that point with the seat height  but the things I did like in the C-max where the steering wheel, the many air vents, dual climate control, the blind spot mirrors and the air vents in the center console for the rear passengers, the optional lift gate and it felt like it had more power over the Prius V with a higher EV control (which really doesn't mean anything but cool.) 

Things I didn't like....the drivers seat height, no seat memory, lack of cargo space, that raised battery compartment

With all that said...I had a chance to rent a Prius V on a 400 mile road trip and even that car had things I liked and disliked.  Well It had none of the things that I liked with the C-Max...bad steering wheel design, not that many air vents, no blind spot mirrors and no air vents in the center console for the rear passengers, no optional lift gate (that lift is hard to close) and lack of power and a lower EV control.

With all that said...It was nice to have those "creatures of comfort" with the C-Max and yes I will miss what the C-Max delivered to the table but the Prius V was bigger and got better mileage and it is made by Toyota that I feel has a newer generation and better build reputation.

REALLY! went over to Prius because of the center console armrest and Prius V was bigger and got better mileage?  Not if you try hard enough, just work at it and the numbers can be obtained.  This forum has proven that point time and time again.  Lets see a Prius get 700miles to a tank. I'm tired of the CMax bashing  Sorry don't mean to be a hard head but Ford clearly has the better product.  You caught me on a testy day.

Edited by mtb9153