HeatShield sunshade for the 2013 CMax

Its starting to get seriously hot here and its time to invest in a sun shade for my CMax.

Hell, its a big window but I thought, its not THAT big so I had some nice large Costco sunshades and tried it - shocked to see that it came nowhere close to getting a proper fit. So my wife went out and bought the largest size one from Costco. Great, this will work. Not.

Yep, the front windscreen in a CMax is BIG!

I know someone was recommenind an IntroTech $59.95 sun shade, that was too rich for me. Shopping around, I found this  Amazon HeatShield for 2013 CMax for $33.95

So it arrived today in a nice long brown box. Initially, I thought - great, my wifey loves me and I have a new golf club....but no, it's just the HeatShield sunshade. It was very well wrapped and sealed in a clear plastic bag. Fairly light but definitely bulkier than any other sunshade I owned. It came all rolled up and its not folded unlike some other sunshade.

Measurement is: 3'1" length and has a 4" diameter with a velcro wrap. The HeatShield material feels interesting - it does not feel cheap, pretty thick with the metallic foil material and the backing foam support which explains the 4" diameter.

8752394335_8ae0ddcdb6_c.jpg

This is the interior shots of the HeatShield inside my CMax. Comes with a nice big YELLOW label to warn us not-too-clever drivers like moi about as to how to use it. Hell, I almost expect another warning "Be careful not to spill hot McDonald coffee" on it  :stirpot:

Now the fit of the HeatShield is pretty nice in the middle. Tuck the HeatShield behind the rear vision mirro, drop the sunvisors and its rock solid fit:

8762607507_d87576baa7_c.jpg

This is what it looks like from the outside. It is a perfect fit with no curl edges:

8762606155_446cee9954_c.jpg

So where do you put this HeatShield? 2 places:

8752394247_77da0ae22f_c.jpg

It is big, has some curl in the end but its brand new so I'll see. Will update this thread to see how cool it will be with my black interior Maxine in the SoCal sun :runaway:

:)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Thanks for blazing the trail.

Here is another option $30 shipped  - I did not buy it myself.  I would message them to make sure it is for the US c-max and try to get an idea how it differs from the headshield, and if it is made in the US kind of like our C-Max though it says "custom made to order" so it seem likely since it ships from CA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Custom-Fit-Auto-Windshield-Sunshade-Cover-for-2013-Ford-Models-/261159736390?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&var=&hash=item3cce555446&vxp=mtr

There is also the same one you got for about $40 shipped though I might prefer amazon for 80 cents more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-C-Max-2013-Heatshield-Brand-Custom-Sunshade-Made-in-USA-/400474153958?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d3e1ea3e6&vxp=mtr

FYI in case someone doesn't know, holding the unlock on the key for a few seconds lowers all the windows for when it is hot.

Edited by obob

Thanks for blazing the trail.

Here is another option $30 shipped  - I did not buy it myself.  

We had a previous thread on these with pics but I can't find it ATM.  The windshield is big but there are way bigger designs like our old Nissan Quest van.  Anyways, I have been using that one or another one leftover from one of our former cars.  Odds are it was purchased at Walmart and it works well.

EA7DB98B-3055-4AEE-A47F-E55157A08D15-415

8D593D24-14ED-4276-8F4F-A9953148B0C3-415

I've since purchase an IntroTech that works very well too (especially heat).

We definitely get the heat down here in Miami, but I've never owned a shade before.  It just seems like it would be so much work to have to install and remove the shade. 

I hope that the selection of the Oxford White exterior with the light interior, adding tinting, and being able to use  the key fob to open the windows before entry, will do the trick without having to resort to also adding a sun shade.

i don't know what you mean by installing? It just slips into place and they fold up for storage. It helps keep the sun from drying out your dash and the steering wheel from being so hot. I also have a steering wheel cover because it just gets so darn HOT here. Tinting is next on my list. We have had an usually long springtime.. but that is quickly fading. The 100+ temps will be here before we know it. blah

Used my intro-tech shade yesterday.. Nice fit but a slight pain to fold up instead of rolling up.

Cassidy, are you able to tuck that one between the seat and either the passenger door or the center consolde? Or too big?

The bulk of the material (4" diameter) of my heatshield means its more likely to be tossed in the backseat which can be a pain in the back to grab each time. Otherwise it will toss around on the front passenger seat.

i don't know what you mean by installing? It just slips into place and they fold up for storage. It helps keep the sun from drying out your dash and the steering wheel from being so hot. I also have a steering wheel cover because it just gets so darn HOT here. 

The other benefit is it keeps the dash cooler and the ventilation ducts contained within so you'll get cooler air quicker.

I don't use mine for short trips but you get use to using them especially after you see (rather feel) the benefits.  Kinda' like seatbelts, you get in the habit and forget you even put the screen up or took it down.

UPDATE: The HeatShield is fine, the edges that were curling just needed to be "tucked" in and its a PERFECT fit with the large window. Did I say LARGE? It's friggin huge, like putting a tent up ;)

I bought the same one a little over a month ago - we've had a few days nearing 100 lately. Works great. Takes about 20s to put up and take down. It did force me to finally wire my dashcam into the headliner though - navigating that thing past the power cable was just too much effort.

I bought the same one a little over a month ago - we've had a few days nearing 100 lately. Works great. Takes about 20s to put up and take down. It did force me to finally wire my dashcam into the headliner though - navigating that thing past the power cable was just too much effort.

You have a dashcam? I am interested in getting one of those too. This is a crazy city to live in. Do tell.... :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I bought an iTronics ITB-100HD last year http://www.ebay.com/itm/281108181326. If you google it you should find some good reviews and comparisons, plus software updates (probably included by now). The quality is pretty good for such a low cost camera. You can certainly pick up the licence plate of the car in front. It records in a loop onto SD card and has GPS and motion sensors. When I had it plugged into the front power socket it would work for an extra 20 mins or so after turning off (recording in "parked" mode - only scene movement). Now I have on the "ignition" fuse it turns off immediately - I may tinker with that one day. I mounted it discretely in front of the rear view mirror - the rain sensor cover obscures just a little on the right, but not bad. No shots of meteors or people jumping on the hood yet, but you never know when...

I editied the link...

Edited by mipmapped

You have a dashcam? I am interested in getting one of those too. This is a crazy city to live in. Do tell.... :)

Jus, I'm hoping to get a GoPro HD cam for Fathers Day which would work excellent for just about any reason I need to record while driving or whatever.  I put the bug in the wife's ear that I need one of them.  We'll see if it happens?

Jus, I'm hoping to get a GoPro HD cam for Fathers Day which would work excellent for just about any reason I need to record while driving or whatever.  I put the bug in the wife's ear that I need one of them.  We'll see if it happens?

Does that loop like mipmapped's? I've seen those things when people ski/snowboard...suppose to be brilliant quality. mipmapped - good stuff...this looks like its a good solution for what I need,

Does that loop like mipmapped's? I've seen those things when people ski/snowboard...suppose to be brilliant quality. mipmapped - good stuff...this looks like its a good solution for what I need,

Jus, I was at Target over the weekend and they had a big screen on their display running video supposedly shot with the Go Pro.  There were scenes under water since it is rated to 195ft I think?  As a Video geek the quality of the video was flawless and all in High Def at 1920 x 1080 pixels.  Plus it seems they have a 3D model if that sort of thing impresses you?  I personally don't need it, just a high quality HD video is enough for me.  Some of the footage taken by Snowboarders while jumping off mountain peaks down near vertical slopes is very clear and steady.  Spectacular footage of your favorite extreme wintersport.

I got the biggest they had at Wal-Mart and it looks like the one you have pictured, except its a shiny foil instead of the matte silver. Super Jumbo or something like that. It was less than ten bucks with tax. After a couple of days I was able to put it up and take it down in one fluid motion.  Fits great under the passenger’s seat.

We had a previous thread on these with pics but I can't find it ATM.  The windshield is big but there are way bigger designs like our old Nissan Quest van.  Anyways, I have been using that one or another one leftover from one of our former cars.  Odds are it was purchased at Walmart and it works well.

EA7DB98B-3055-4AEE-A47F-E55157A08D15-415

8D593D24-14ED-4276-8F4F-A9953148B0C3-415

I've since purchase an IntroTech that works very well too (especially heat).

Edited by Edsel

I got the biggest they had at Wal-Mart and it looks like the one you have pictured, except its a shiny foil instead of the matte silver. Super Jumbo or something like that. It was less than ten bucks with tax. After a couple of days I was able to put it up and take it down in one fluid motion.  Fits great under the passenger’s seat.

You can probably tell that the one pictured isn't the tinfoil design.  I've read a few user reviews of that material flaking off so save your receipt just in case.  I can slide mine between the front passenger seat and the center console so it very easy to grab and it doesn't get in the way of the passenger.  It's too large to fit in the door map pockets.

Here's the link for the Intro-tech sun shade thread for those that might want to compare it with the roll-up type.  

I've had my Intro-tech for over 2 months and I wouldn't trade it for any roll-up one I've owned (includes several custom fit ones) + $59.  It folds up easily (need to get the hang of which direction to start the fold) and fits between the seats on the center console.  We normally just keep it in the passenger area even with my wife in the seat. :)

You know, after a few days use I am thinking a folding sunshade is the way to go. Right now, this thing has to be rolled and the only place for it is in the back seat and I have to reach for it in the back.

I might toy with folding it to see if it makes a diff. However, this is a GREAT heatshield, it really kept my Maxine cool on the inside. Very noticeable, especially after I got back from golf this afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the Heatshield shade and received it yesterday. This thing is huge! I haven't had a chance to try it yet but will use it on Friday while the car is parked at work.

Near the bottom of the UPS label, it says, "DESC: Aircraft Covers" Hmmmmm Now I'm looking for a jet engine and the button that extends the wings from under the doors! LOL :superhero:

I ordered the Heatshield shade and received it yesterday. This thing is huge! I haven't had a chance to try it yet but will use it on Friday while the car is parked at work.

Near the bottom of the UPS label, it says, "DESC: Aircraft Covers" Hmmmmm Now I'm looking for a jet engine and the button that extends the wings from under the doors! LOL :superhero:

Congratulations! Its a perfect fit, don't even have to use the shades to hold it up but make sure sure you tucks the edges in. I have been folding mine instead of rolling it, seems more compact. It will take a while to get use to the size of it....thats one big a** window we have!