Weather seals around small window alongside the A-Pillar

MADCMAX

The weather seals on the front little windows that are near the A Pillar had to be replaced.  Seems ours were missing the little "nibs" that snap into the holes that are exposed if you do not have the proper weather seals installed.  Ford promptly replaced the seals but when I went there and we walked the lot of new Cmax's, some had the problem and some didn't.  Seems the early run of these was the problem.  I had noticed they were peeling back like little baby wings after doing some highway miles.  

Check your weather seals - that water will drip down and while told it won't collect in there, I did see a lot of noise insulation that it will get trapped by and could lead to long term problems with mold, mildew, or potentially corrosion?

No, the seals were replaced early on and unfortunately didn't resolve the noise we are hearing.  We just dropped off the cmax at the dealer to have the microphones installed to see where the noise is specifically coming from.   It is a very concerning creaking, like if you were able to twist the frame without any lubricant.....a creaking sound.   And as it warms, it gets worse.  It is somewhat suppressed with cold weather, which makes me think the lubrication grease on something isn't meant for hot weather.  But who knows, will let you know what i find out when it comes back.  It was there all last week with no resolution other than they need to install these listening devices to pinpoint the location.  

Great pics.  Thanks.

BTW, might this have been the source of the noise problem you mentioned in a different thread?

I think you are referring to my noise problem? Let me check my seals!

Is this on the front? Mine has chrome under them and the seals are stuck down tight.

These being loose won't cause a noise problem.  We have the SE, which doesn't have chrome strips.  

Here is what I had to say about the creaking noises we are hearing:

We have been back to the dealer multiple times for this, but we have a horrible creaking sound that worsens as the weather warms.   It sounds like a creaking frame but it may end up being in the struts or other some other area.  

In fact tonight I have to take it back to the dealer so they can install little microphones or something to measure where the sound is the loudest (it is loud in the cabin) to isolate and try to determine where the sound is coming from.  Many trips back and now they acknowledge they finally hear the noise and are going to try to fix it.  Previously I was told that it wasn't happening, then was told it was normal noise not usually heard because of a gas engine running, and now finally they acknowledge it is real, they do hear it, and they are going to TRY to pinpoint the cause.  

Is this the result of buying a first year model?  I would have hoped that since it has been around in Europe that this wouldn't be the case.  But it turns out, this is just one of the many issues we have had so far.  Nice car, fun to drive, but the problems sometimes outweigh the limited MPG benefit.  

Edited by MADCMAX

• 2 months later...