Seriously, WELCOME!!

Adair

Hello all you Ford fans!  I just put a deposit on a new 2016 C-Max SEL hybrid.  I take delivery tomorrow afternoon. So excited!  I'm looking forward to checking out what other C-max owners have to say about this model.  

Here is a Link on how to get the best gas mileage thread I started: http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/6568-how-to-drive-a-cmax-hybridffh-to-get-great-gas-mileage/

This car can be a lot of fun to drive.

Paul

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello forum folks - I took delivery of my 2018 C-Max Titanium about 2 weeks ago. So far I am really enjoying it, averaging 46.9 MPG on my daily commute. I'm a weekend musician, so cargo room was important - and there's plenty of room for two professional keyboards, an amp, stand, and seat, while still having seating for two passengers. I've already learned a lot from reading some of the posts here. It's nice to find out about the stuff that's "not in the manual" from other owners.  :)

• 2 months later...

A 'new' C-Max owner here.  Bought a 2016 (delivered to the dealer in Oct. of 2015...) from a Toyota dealer in OH for $15,750 (we live in Michigan) in late June of this year.  Astonishingly, it had 2,200 miles since that date.  I checked several sources and verified with Ford that it was still under warranty (til July of 2019).  We just passed 4,000 miles.  An SE model with the old Sync version with no upgrade path but we don't care for or need all those bells and whistles. More stuff to break and cause you issues.

So far we love it - quiet, very easy to drive and we're getting around 43 mph both on the highway and around town. 

'Kona blue' - didn't like it at first but now it looks great. 

The car had an odd tire (it was leased for 10 months and the person who leased it must have wrecked the tire and bought a cheap Kelly tire instead of the OEM Michelin) so I got another Michelin and a new wheel and turned the Kelly into a spare and got a jack (already have a great manual pump) and have practiced jacking it up. Heavy car compared to our 2004 Ford Focus ZTW wagon!  Found the nice triangles indicating the lift points and want to paint them white so they're easier to see. 

I've experimented with the ECO setting versus 'normal' and when you go back to 'normal' it's quite a contrast!  Rocket time.

I've learned a ton from this forum and it's sad to see it slowly declining since we're now orphans.  I did make up a license plate frame noting that this is a car built in Michigan (Wayne), USA.  

Thanks to all the people who have contributed knowledge here. 

Welcome, C-MaxA2

I also have a 2016 (SEL Ruby Red metallic) and love it. Bought in March 2017 and I paid $19500. Sounds like you got a great deal but hard

to believe the car only had just over 2000 on it. Mine had 22,300 on it and was also a fleet car. Whenever I take it to local Ford dealer for general

service, they don't explicitly say anything about upgrading the Sync software, but it appears they do. First time I took it in, I was having an issue

where it would go into "limp" mode (wrench service symbol on dash and car still runs but won't perform correctly). Turning the CMax off and back

on would fix it for awhile. Dealer said it was a "throttle body" problem and replaced that under warranty. Haven't seen the problem since then.

Took it in again six months later and had just routine ("The Works" - $40 with coupon they sent me) service. Didn't say anything about upgrading

software. Later noticed that I now had an "EV+" mode it would go into when approaching a frequent destination. I'm pretty sure it didn't do that

before that trip to the dealer. "EV+" mode doesn't seem very useful anyway.

My wife and I think this is the perfect car for us, being in our late 60's. High roof, ease of entry and exit, comfort and good climate control. Worst feature

in my opinion is the "Panoramic fixed roof" (not sure if your SE has this option) because it doesn't actually open. Also no spare or jack kinda freaked me out

at first.

Still, we really like the CMax, and I average about 44mpg, but it still has plenty of power for passing and accelerating onto highway. Hope you enjoy driving

yours!

I have EV+ on my 2013 Energi, but I don't know if the Hybrids are different.  The nice thing about EV+ is that it raises the ICE turn-on threshold, letting you drain the HVB more than it usually would, on the assumption that you're about to park it (and for Energi, plug it in).  I have a weekly trip that is *just* at the edge of my EV range, and EV+ often lets me drain the last few electrons out of my HVB.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just purchased 2014 C-Max SEL, 79,000 miles for $10k and I love it.  Will put about 3,000 miles on per month.  Can't wait to see the fuel economy I get.

Congratulations on the C-max.  You will have to wait until warmer weather in spring/summer for the best mpgs however.

I think I get about 40mpg in the worst of winter but we have pretty mild winters in Oregon.

• 1 year later...

Good Day,

I am in the midst of buying a 2016 CMAX Hybrid with 84K miles on it, and I am excited at the idea of having a nice car that gets good MPG. I have read up on the vehicle a lot before buying, and this is why I went for the 2016 over earlier vehicles. (I don't mean to say anything bad about earlier years)

I hope to read through this forum and gather ideas and insights into the many features and functions of the car, and also be active enough to participate with helpful replies to others.

I live in Central Massachusetts and have a home I hope to retire to in northern NH some day, so I am always interested in finding folks and gatherings of folks to get together with and chat up our experiences.

I have some prior experience with a BEV having leased the Honda Fit EV for about a year, and I have to say the range of 84 miles of that vehicle was just not enough in New England winters because that range would  easily go down to 30 miles in the cold....and I wasn't even using the heat!

I have a bit above a 60 mile commute to work, so I like the idea of cars that get great MPG. Also, I like to keep cars a long time.....I think  my last 6 or so cars (not counting the Fit EV) have gone over 210,000 miles with my current Scion xA having 233K (and running great) and my Honda Element just over 211K. So I hope this CMAX can eclipse both of those in the next number of years. (I'd say I drive about 45K a year)

That's my intro....I look forward to the forum!

-Quentin

Welcome! It looks like you've done your research, and no offense taken regarding earlier model years. They are what they are, and all the goodness (and Sync3 I think) is there in your 2016. Coming from a Fit EV, you've already seen most of the unique EV behavior. No reason to expect short life; several folks are north of 200K with no reduction in performance or reliability. 

May you enjoy a long and happy relationship! 

Frank

• 6 months later...

Hello! I just bought this 2013 C-Max a month ago. My first Ford and my first hybrid. 85K on the odometer and 15K of those were on battery. This is the car I have been looking for my whole life and didn't know it. The previous owners towed it behind a class A and have already installed the requisite equipment for me. Quiet, comfortable, and roomy despite outer appearances. I am electrical engineer by trade and I plan to do all the maintenance myself, including the HVB repairs if needed (knock on wood). I do have one question though: I have read that there may be reliability issues with the transmission. What exactly were these? I want to nip them in the bud and repair them before they become problems. Anyway, thanks for having me!

DSC_0242.JPG

DSC_0240.JPG

Edited by bored001

Congratulations bored001!  This is my first Ford, my first North American and love it (having driven SAABs for 27 yrs and Japanese for about 12 years).

Seeing how you are going to do most of the maintenance yourself might I recommend getting the workshop manual for your car. I just got one off of eBay for my 2017

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303624878247?ViewItem=&vxp=mtr&item=303624878247 and love the fact that I now have all the info I need at my fingertips. The manual I got (in PDF) runs 6727 pages and covers everything. As an electrical engineer you will most likely find this a very valuable too. It's huge but with the search function in the PDF reader I am able to find whatever I'm looking for.

Cheers!

On 7/17/2020 at 9:55 AM, bored001 said:

Hello! I just bought this 2013 C-Max a month ago. My first Ford and my first hybrid. 85K on the odometer and 15K of those were on battery. This is the car I have been looking for my whole life and didn't know it. The previous owners towed it behind a class A and have already installed the requisite equipment for me. Quiet, comfortable, and roomy despite outer appearances. I am electrical engineer by trade and I plan to do all the maintenance myself, including the HVB repairs if needed (knock on wood). I do have one question though: I have read that there may be reliability issues with the transmission. What exactly were these? I want to nip them in the bud and repair them before they become problems. Anyway, thanks for having me!

On 7/17/2020 at 6:55 AM, bored001 said:

Welcome.  Well, I really don’t think you are going to be able “nip” the Issue “in the bud.” The link below is the latest TSB on the issue.  Also, I’ve attached the latest Ford OBD System Operation Manual which you will likely enjoy reading.   OBDSM1700_HEV.pdf

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10148717-9999.pdf

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

• 6 months later...