Free initial maintenance for C-max and costs after.

I get 3yr /36,000 mi free maintenance on my current car. does Ford do this on the c-max and others in their line and if not how much are the first 3 scheduled one's cost for those who have had yours a while now (over 30,000 mi) and if not why don't they match this of other car mfg ´s?

Ford does not offer free maintenance.  They offer to sell it to you but I don't think it is a very good deal.  I have a 2012 Ford Fusion with 27k miles on it.  To date I have spent about $150. on maintenance and I'm over doing it.  If I went by the cars oil change computer it needs service around every 10k miles.  I am having the oil changed, tires rotated and full car inspection (The Works) done every 5k miles.  At 20k they checked air filters and said they were fine.  I expect the 30k service to be a little more but not enough to worry about it.  The Works cost $40 at my dealer but they are always sending coupons for discounts or rebates.  After years of owning a European car I'm astonished at the low cost of ownership.

Edited by lowbar

Maintenance isn't free.  You pay for it upfront in the price of the vehicle or when you perform the maintenance.

If one looks at the maintenance schedule in the on-line owners manual, the maintenance required for 3 years / 36 k miles includes 3 oil changes, 3 tire rotations, 1 cabin filter change and 1 engine air filter change. Everything else listed in the maintenance schedule is inspection of the functionality of components and systems.  One can buy the parts for this 3/36 maintenance for less than $150 in total (including about 15 quarts of Mobil 1 engine oil) .  That's what I will spend. I prefer to DIY as then I can inspect my vehicle when I rotate tires and change oil and filters.

Below is the "Special" my dealer advertises for an oil change, tire rotation, and inspections (seems to me I got something similar in the mail recently from the dealer for my first scheduled maintenance).

You'll have to ask Ford why they chose not to include free maintenance with the purchase of the vehicle.  IMHO, the free maintenance is a way to entice an owner to stay with the dealer for maintenance and repairs past the warranty period.

gallery_167_32_35207.jpg

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

If one looks at the maintenance schedule in the on-line owners manual, the maintenance required for 3 years / 36 k miles includes 3 oil changes, 3 tire rotations, 1 cabin filter change and 1 engine air filter change. Everything else listed in the maintenance schedule is inspection of the functionality of components and systems.  One can buy the parts for this 3/36 maintenance for less than $150 in total (including about 15 quarts of Mobil 1 engine oil) .  That's what I will spend. I prefer to DIY as then I can inspect my vehicle when I rotate tires and change oil and filters.

Below is the "Special" my dealer advertises for an oil change, tire rotation, and inspections (seems to me I got something similar in the mail recently from the dealer for my first scheduled maintenance).

Ditto.  I do my own normal maintenance and use full synthetic which with filter cost me around $30-35 but that coupon special even with a syn. blend would be pretty tempting.  I did take my dealer up on their free first oil change and was very happy to see them use mobil 1 instead of the motorcraft blend.  I gave them high marks on the phone call survey from Ford.

My Prius offered a 2yr free maintenance plan but I didn't use it primarily due to time/distance from the out of town dealer plus the number of reports from forum members around the country of overfilled oil levels, cheap non-syn oil used, underinflated tires, pressure for services not covered under the plan, etc.

And I truly enjoy doing the work.

• 2 weeks later...