How to hang a front license plate on the C-MAX?

I took delivery of my (gently used) C-MAX SEL last week and went to get new plates from the DMT/DOT or wherever here in Illinois. I discovered that there is a law in Illinois that you have to display plates on both front and rear, but can't figure out where to hang the front one from. I don't see holes for a frame or anything, but I notice that many of you in this forum show the front plate hung in your profile photos. How do you do this to be legally compliant? Do you have to drill holes in the grill to accommodate this? (Please say no...) Any advice appreciated!

Dealer has to install then here in Ohio. Ask your dealer about putting one on. We have to have them on both ends to.( for now) They just raised the speed limit to 70 starting July 1 and there is a bill in the house to eliminated the front plate to save the state money by not have to make the 2nd plate. Might be taking mine off if that happens

Thanks, guys. The dealer I purchased from is not in the same state I live in, which explains why there was no bracket and hardware! Now I have to go tho the local dealer (from whom I cancelled my order after waiting 8 weeks!) and beg for a frame and bracket at no charge. This is gonna be awkward!

Thanks, ceemax71. I might be better off driving the 100 miles to the original dealership-- they told me that you need a special rivet-puncher-thingy and a lot of experience to do it right, as you have to pierce the bumper and shoot the holder thingy in there correctly. (Very technical explanation!) I wish they would just revoke the law for this so I don't have to violate my bumper!

The state will most likely keep the front plates - I bet the bill fails. Take off the front plates and photo-radar becomes less reliable and photo-radar is a huge revenue generator...

Also police like the front plates for aiming laser guns at. It's a nice flat reflective surface for good laser results. Also a large revenue source...

I have gone back and forth from states with front plates and states without. (Nevada actually has a law where if your car has a front plate bracket you are required to have a front plate but if your car does not have a front bracket you do not have to have a front plate... A stupid law, what's the point?). I usually just keep the front brackets and in states without front plates I put my Oakland Raiders novelty plate on the front...

Thanks, ceemax71. I might be better off driving the 100 miles to the original dealership-- they told me that you need a special rivet-puncher-thingy and a lot of experience to do it right, as you have to pierce the bumper and shoot the holder thingy in there correctly. (Very technical explanation!) I wish they would just revoke the law for this so I don't have to violate my bumper!

You would come out ahead driving the 100 miles with the C-Max mpg.  A good excuse for a road trip! :)

I had to do this for a truck I bought in a single plate state then i moved back to a double plate state.

I bought a rivet gun from Harbor Freight for $15, and bought an OEM front bracket for my truck off eBay for another $15. The truck bumper had two tiny dimples - almost completely unnoticeable - where you drill small holes then used the rivet gun to attach the OEM license plate bracket. Dealer wanted $60 parts and $80 labor. Took me about 10 minutes and a trip to harbor freight...

Thanks, valkraider and ceemax71. The good news is that the good people in the service department of my local dealer have agreed to hang the bracket and plate, no charge. I have an appointment for Monday, at which point I will get the MFT upgrade and a liftgate software upgrade as well.

Oddly, as soon as I pulled out of the dealership's service bay (before they did anything to my car), my display went completely blank (even backup camera), and later displayed a message that the software was being updated. I wonder if some of the components of the upgrade are automatically downloaded? Dealer said each upgrade takes approximately 2 hours to do, so I kind of doubt it.