FOOT ACTIVATED LIFTGATE - BROKE THE CODE!

We were having problems - the liftgate would unlatch, then close again.  Went to the dealer, showed them the trouble, and they showed me what were were doing wrong...we were too close and the liftgate was sensing us as an obstruction!

This seems to be the correct procedure:

Get close enough to the rear bumper to kick just your toes under the the bumper, directly under the license plate, then, get the heck out of the way and take a ful step back.

That seems to work every time.

As ScubaDadMiami is saying:  Very recently Ford issued a FSA, Field Service Action (sort of like a recall in that you don't have to have to prove you have the issue like you have to when they issue a TSB).  It involves reprogramming the liftgate release firmware through their Ford IDS system.  It will fix the issues; I got it done yesterday and now it works on one kick each and every time, regardless of how long it has been "asleep".  It is likely you were not standing too close causing an obstruction; like fotomoto said, it is likely it worked because it hadn't been asleep long enough when you were at the dealership.

Edited by JohnTrigger

Thanks for the feedback, but nope - I was just standing too close.  The kick/s would always unlatch the door, it would start to go up/open, and then stop and close again.  If the door was already open, a kick would get it to start closing and then it would stop.  I have done it both ways since then and it always works OK if I take a backward step, and it always messes up if I don't.