People with broken windshield getting a replacement-Beware!

I got a busted windshield in my C-Max a couple of months ago. Went to my local glass shop to get it replaced. Had it replaced and all was good, or so I thought. Weeks after the fact, I spent a nice weekend detailing my car. When I got to the windshield, I was putting rain x on it, starting at the top. While staring at the windshield, I noticed that I could see the front and top edge of the headliner. I could actually see the wire running above the headliner to my remote start antennae. I knew something wasn't right. Got in the car and checked the headliner, nothing wrong there. All I could figure was the black trim around the top of the windshield wasn't wide enough. Drove down to the dealer and measured the black trim on a new one and compared it to the black trim on my new windshield. Mine was 2" wide and the new car at the dealers' was 3". Mystery solved. Went back to the glass shop and told him and he looked at me like I was crazy. He said that was the replacement windshield and he's never had any problem before and he's replaced C-Max windshields. I told him it looked like crap and was unacceptable. He said he would look into it and call me. 2 hours later he calls and tells me I'm right. There's two different companies that make the replacements. Carlite, which is the original that comes in the car from Ford. And Guardian, which is what they put in my car (because it's cheaper). They ended up getting a Carlite and swapped it out for me.

Here's the 'bad' replacement.

IMG_20130530_091537_906_zps87d53051.jpg

Can't believe I didn't notice it sooner.

Edited by Michigan Max

• 2 months later...

Also beware of installation. I just had mine repaired, they had one guy do the install, but because the windshield ducks down under the hood a little bit, he lost controll and scratched the h*$& out of my pillar. Luckily the place that replaced it also owns a body shop and they fixed everything, but I would ask that two technicians do the install. 

They told me that Carlite was the only option they would consider and that it was an expensive piece of glass because it was so new. 

• 6 months later...

I had my windshield replaced last week by Safelight with the Ford Carlite Solar glass with rain sensor. Two techs showed up at my home and had the windshield replaced in about one hour. Tech said there is no other windshield but the OE. The techs out of the office nearest me said they have replaced several C-Max windshields recently. It makes me wonder if the C-Max windshield is more susceptible to cracking given it's size as I very seldom see a C-Max on the road. In fact, the lady gas attendant today at Costco ask me what is a C-Max as mine was the first she's seen.

Fortunately, I opted for full glass coverage on the C-Max as normally I carry $1000 deductible on comprehensive. Safelight's receipt show the charges below. For comparison, my 2009 Jetta Tdi replacement rain sensor windshield ran about $225 out the door a two year ago .

Windshield - $265 (list $715)

Install kit - $30

Labor - $124

Total -$419 + tax