Kayak rack questions

I am looking for a kayak rack, ideally to hold 2, but I can get by with a single carrier.  Most of the 2 kayak rack styles have a central post and the kayaks will load on their sides which would seem to be the worst for aerodynamics (which probably does not matter so much once a 50lb kayak is strapped to the roof).  I am guessing that the lower profile ones where the kayak is either upside down or sitting normally would be better with regard to airflow, and not causing a problem with crosswinds.

My current kayak is 10' x 28" 

Right now I am stuck between these:

Inno dual carrier (INA450)

Inno locking carrier (no pads) - I will probably buy some foam v shaped blocks or wrap around bar pads if I go this route.

I am not committed to these, they just looked like the best for the money and have good reviews (any suggestions would be great).

Run a search on the Forum.  I originally wanted to get the Panoramic Roof with the carrier offered by Ford.  When they told me that you can't use the rack with the glass, I got some good suggestions for other roof racks that I liked.

Sorry I searched before I posted and again just now, only found a thread where you mentioned the same thing, but could not locate the post you are referring to. 

I've heard similar things about the pano roof and load capacity in general, but thought it was just a big decrease in the load rating, not a complete no-go - but it makes sense they would just say no to it since some vehicles will have a higher load capacity than others to start with.  I have seen other ford cars (not C-max) with the pano roof and a rack, but again that is apples and oranges.  As far as maximum functionality though, the pano roof (in general) would be a problem if you gotta haul stuff on the roof.

Back to the original question, I am leaning more towards the dual carrier, and may do something with the blocks and a bar pad to hold one kayak flat when I only need to carry one of them.

On a side note, I was looking a permanent roof rack installs last night and happened upon this:

http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4825&sid=110a0b7c84b0c9db89d607da156517ce

There is a gutter strip cover on the flex which looks like the one on the c-max, and if they are similarly held in place, it seems likley that a low profile permanent attachment with the Yakima landing pads could be an option for folks who need more security than a clip on rack can provide.  It would require drilling the strips, but that is much better than drilling the roof for a perma-rack.  I am not really keen on selling my Thule rack and buying new Yakima stuff, but it could be a project I look at in the future.

Edited by CNCGeek

Thats a cool idea.  I already have a thule rack but the seasucker has the edge on ease of use.  I'd suggest using some of the 3m "clear bra" material under the pad locations to keep it from marking the roof, I used some under the pads on my thule rack and I suspect they have already saved a few scuffs.

• 1 month later...

This is my update for anyone else considering hauling a kayak.  I purchased the Inno Dual Carrier (INA450) and have to say I am impressed.  I bought it since it is more flexible to have the option of carrying 2 or 3 kayaks when friends want to hitch a ride.  I only had to get 4 longer bolts for the center post (used on the clamps, then moved the longer clamp bolts to the side with the knobs), now it fits my Thule Aerobars without a problem.  I hauled a 10ft, 50lb kayak about 180 miles round trip recently through wind and rain, and though I was a bit concerned, the kayak remained solid.  Compared to another trip, my mpg dropped about 4-5mpg on the way up, I did not check it on the way back - going up was mostly uphill.  I think if I had covered the open cockpit it would have helped shave off some drag, I may try that next time.  The kit does not come with the front or rear straps which I have seen in some kits, but I used some additional straps around the front and back of the kayak which I then tied to the rack for a bit of extra security.

Edited by CNCGeek

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

anybody try the yakima landing pad mounted into the weather strip mount points yet?

I started to poke at removing one of the moldings last night, but it was dark and I didn't have a lot of time.  It appears to be glued down-- it's not clear if there are also bolt holes and clips as there are on the flex.  Once I got to feeling sticky goo under the molding I decided to wait til I would have time and better light.  I've also been poking around to find any pictures or drawings of the roof to see if rack tracks could be installed (presumably inboard of the gutters due to avoid the air bags).  I might call around to some installers and ask about that.  They might have to drop the head liner to figure it out, though

edit: I took a look at the Ford parts site and it looks like the molding is probably just glued into place.  If you look up the roof parts there aren't any clips that the molding snaps onto like on the flex. The molding is here: ford parts and you can click on the picture to get a slightly bigger version.  I'll probably still pry up the molding and check, but it doesn't look promising.

another edit:  I took a look around inside between the headliner and the roof with a boroscope, and while it's pretty busy in there, it looks like inboard of the gutters is pretty clear for drilling for mounts, as long as you use a drill stop set pretty shallow (~1/4").  I have to decide where I want to put the crossbars, but I'll probably do yakima landing pad 7 plus control towers this weekend.  My initial plan was to put the fore towers 20" back from the edge of the windshield, but it looks like the thule rack mounts forward of that, and that would also keep me clear of some electronics (air bag controllers?) that are near the B pillar.

Edited by chrisl

• 2 years later...

I am looking for a kayak rack, ideally to hold 2, but I can get by with a single carrier. Most of the 2 kayak rack styles have a central post and the kayaks will load on their sides which would seem to be the worst for aerodynamics (which probably does not matter so much once a 50lb kayak is strapped to the roof). I am guessing that the lower profile ones where the kayak is either upside down or sitting normally would be better with regard to airflow, and not causing a problem with crosswinds.

Inno locking carrier (no pads) - I will probably buy some foam v shaped blocks or wrap around bar pads if I go this route.

I am not committed to these, they just looked like the best for the money and have good reviews (any suggestions would be great).

I am looking for a kayak rack, ideally to hold 2, but I can get by with a single carrier.  Most of the 2 kayak rack styles have a central post and the kayaks will load on their sides which would seem to be the worst for aerodynamics (which probably does not matter so much once a 50lb kayak is strapped to the roof).  I am guessing that the lower profile ones where the kayak is either upside down or sitting normally would be better with regard to airflow, and not causing a problem with crosswinds.

Aerodynamics matters far more than 50lb... 50lb has zero impact on gas mileage, but increasing drag by 50% does