METROMAN

Driving along with the ac on & noticed it was getting a little toasty. Had it set on 74, blower on 3rd bar & recycle on. Kept turning down the temp, even to 60 something & increasing blower speed. Never got any cooler. Started thinking maybe the compressor just died like others have expirenced. Decided to pull over, shut off the car & restart it. Worked fine after the "reboot". Guess it's a typical Bill Gates kind of thing. Doesn't work right, just reboot the system. Anybody else seen this?

Mine has 4,100 miles on it and about a month ago it started making a "buzz" noise when I turn the A/C on. Definitely coming from the compressor, as I hear the fan for the "engine" sounding normal. After running/driving a short distance, it goes away. On restart it is there again, also for a short time. Very noticeable loud buzz. Taking it in today for analysis. So far always cools great, not like your problem. But may be early stage of compressor failure. Does your make any buzz/excessive noise? While it is buzzing, and I turn the A/C off, the noise goes away immediately. 

Sounds like my buzzing noise, noted above. Mine goes away after up to five minutes and is related to the a/c compressor. Took it in this morning, and it "performed" for the technician. Was told probably when manufactured the refrigerant and the oil in the refrigerant system was not filled properly/fully. Likely the oil since it cools okay. Anyway, they kept the car, ordered a new compressor (to be on the safe side, instead of just adding oil, since damage was likely due to the noise, as evidence). Compressor due in tomorrow, and about 3 hours of labor to replace it properly. They put me in a Hertz rental at no cost for the two days. Vehicle build date was Jan 7, 2013. Have 4,100 miles on it. Noise started after use over the past month or so due to hot weather here in Texas. Great dealer in Denton, TX!!!

When I am running the AC on a warm day, the compressor gets quite loud.  I am assuming that this is how it is supposed to sounds when running with a decent load.  If others are not having this noise, please let me know.  I have noticed that it puts quite a load on the battery and has surely caused my milage to drop lower than winter norms.  I am averaging around 34MPG with the AC running.

TxTom, many of us have this same issue with the noise.  If they end out replacing the part, and that eliminates the noise, please let us know. 

This noise has already been cited a number of times by many people.  So, if they tell you that Ford told them to replace it, there are a lot of us that want to know about this ASAP.

Will know later today as the part is due in, and to be installed today. Dealer confident the noise is due to low compressor oil, and replacement save rather than just adding some oil. will advise once complete and resolved, hopefully tonight/tomorrow morning. Before, compressor was actually very quiet...but operating a/c does drop mileage, especially when it is very hot out.

I've recorded mine. My wife turns the A/C off at 0:09 and back on at 0:11. Can you confirm it's the same sound? 

I'm gathering info before going to the dealer and have them tell me it's "normal".

I'm also interested if anyone manages to get service to fix this.

Edited by HalBran

I've recorded mine. My wife turns the A/C off at 0:09 and back on at 0:11. Can you confirm it's the same sound? 

I'm gathering info before going to the dealer and have them tell me it's "normal".

Thats pretty much what mine sounds like.

Mine is much louder, and goes off (less buss) after anywhere from 3-5 minutes...then sounds like yours. Waiting to hear from dealer re compressor replacement completion today. Mine didn't start the loud buzzing until about 3500 miles. Now have 4100 on it.

This is much quieter than mine.  Mine does that noise, yet when the AC is running there is also a higher pitched whine.  It's quite loud and sounds like a swarm of cicadas.  It's louder than most cars nearby and seems to turn heads in wonder.  After seeing this video, I am thinking about taking mine in.  I do want to hear what TxTom's outcome is first though.

Driving along with the ac on & noticed it was getting a little toasty. Had it set on 74, blower on 3rd bar & recycle on. Kept turning down the temp, even to 60 something & increasing blower speed. Never got any cooler. Started thinking maybe the compressor just died like others have expirenced. Decided to pull over, shut off the car & restart it. Worked fine after the "reboot". Guess it's a typical Bill Gates kind of thing. Doesn't work right, just reboot the system. Anybody else seen this?

It seems I once had the opposite problem  - I couldn't get the AC to turn OFF using the AC OFF button (or what ever it's called).  It also kept showing power on the climate power meter.  Turned temperature up and tried turning entire system OFF but it kept running (drawing power).  Only after stopping, turning off the car and restarting did it start working properly.

I have not had any strange sounds.  Climate meter will show up to 2 kW (2nd major bar) at first turn on and then drop to about 300 watts with recirc and 75 to 76F setting.  Have had outside temps to 88 or 90F.

Have any of you with loud compressors checked the climate power meter while the compressor is making a lot of noise?

Since my compressor noise/buzz has been temporary, the dealer thinks the new/replaced compressor with proper fluid levels will stop the noise. Car not ready tonight, will get tomorrow afternoon (Wed). Compressor from Ford parts depot arrived later than expected. Never thought to check the climate power meter.

My KW meter on the MyView of the dash is usually hovering around the second bar for the climate portion.  When it's warm, it almost maxes out on that meter.  I usually keep the temp around 73.  Temps have been in the mid-90s, yet the norm has been mid-80s.  My MPG seems to really be dropping as it gets warmer though :(

Reference my a/c loud buzzing noise noted above:  Dealer replaced a/c compressor and did all possible to ensure refrigerant and a/c oil was properly filled. Total cost under warranty (no cost to me) was in excess of $1,850.  Kept the car overnight, and today I picked it up after their call that the noise is still there.  They conferred with Ford Engineering in Michigan. Per Ford, none others of significance have been reported with this problem.  No solution offered, nor any indication that one is pending. Ford HDQ advised dealer to check other C-Max units on hand. Dealer had one in service for Sync update, and 2 others that are brand new. All three exhibit same issue! Temp here has been in the mid-90s...maybe why just now noise is appearing. Only thing I can offer as next step is for all on this forum with a/c excessive noise is to take to their dealer and also push for resolution. Ford HDQ said to dealer that they should not have replaced the compressor (even though the dealer found the refrigerant and oil low, as well as a leak in the system). Ford HDQ said they should have first tried the other units in stock to determine if it is "normal."  Dealer agrees that noise is excessive but has no recourse without Ford HDQ involvement in recognizing it is a big issue...car cools very good, just noisy for first five minutes. Maybe Fords are okay to be noisy...this is my first Ford out of 50 or so cars in my life time!

Could it just be your (everybody) is in EV mode more these days (cause it's warm/hot) and you can here the radiator fan when its running full tilt boogie (like when the A/C is on) plus the compressor makes a clicking noise when the (compressor) clutch does its thing ((stick your head under a friends gas only car & have them cycle the A/C on & off, your gonna hear lots of strange noises)) this is not to say there isn't a problem but you may be hearing noises you've not heard before that are normal. 

Dealer doesn't think it is a normal sound (but they don't really have had any experience with these cars so far)...but it's an electric compressor...no clutch on/off...just buzzing, then it goes away.  Not the fan...can hear the fan and it is not a crazy buzzing noise...just a typical car fan noise...maybe a little louder because the gas engine not running doesn't mask it.

Today, when I pulled away from a parking spot where I usually park, I had more battery charge than usual.  So, I was able to go about a block and a half in EV.  Instead of putting the windows up as soon as the first breeze came through, I left them down.  The noise stopped within about 30 seconds or maybe less, though it could be that increased speed, other traffic noise, etc. made it seem to go away sooner.

One other thing to consider.  I got my C-MAX with 113 miles on it already.  My dealer informed me (weeks prior) that my C-MAX had been pulled for in-depth testing before shipping.  I am going to imagine that Ford would have heard the noise when they performed this testing, and that they would have done something about it then, if it were a problem.  So, I am not going to worry about it anymore.  Besides, I got the 125,000 mile extended warranty.  If the A/C fails, I will have a clean conscience about the issue.

I have my liftgate update scheduled for July.  I'll bring it up with my service advisor, just to let the SA know everything I know, and to see what the dealership says by then.  By that time, maybe dealers will have been given enough guidance from Ford about what, if anything, to do about the noise. 

My C-MAX is running up to expectations.  So, I am not too worried about the noise that I only hear with windows open, during the first minute of my startup.

I was thinking that your response would be similar to what you have reported.  It is quite loud when running at a higher pace on hot days.  It's noticably louder than gas powered vehicles.  This weekend I left it on while I ran into a grocery store.  I was parked about 6-7 spaces back.  There was plenty of traffic noise and other cars running around the lot and I could hear my A/C as soon as I came out of the store's doors over the other weekend noises.  I have noticed that if I leave the AC at a lower setting (3 bars for the fan) and leave recirc on, it will usually go away.  I have been playing with the settings a bit lately to see if I can decrease the load, noise, and hopefully increase MPG again.  At this point, I think we will just have to deal with it.  I do think that Ford should take note though.  I have plenty of Prius' in my area and I have not noticed the same issues with them.  And I have been paying attention for the last several days too :) 

Thanks for the Prius report. Hope other C-Max owners with this noise make comments...just in case the Ford marketing team is following, and it feels they should investigate with the Ford engineering folks. Would like them to advise if all is as they planned it, or is a "surprise." And if anything can be done via a TSB.

Edited by TxTom