Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

AC issue

Ac acted weird today

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,408 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

Today, when I pulled away from a parking spot where I usually park, I had more battery charge than usual.  So, I was able to go about a block and a half in EV.  Instead of putting the windows up as soon as the first breeze came through, I left them down.  The noise stopped within about 30 seconds or maybe less, though it could be that increased speed, other traffic noise, etc. made it seem to go away sooner.

One other thing to consider.  I got my C-MAX with 113 miles on it already.  My dealer informed me (weeks prior) that my C-MAX had been pulled for in-depth testing before shipping.  I am going to imagine that Ford would have heard the noise when they performed this testing, and that they would have done something about it then, if it were a problem.  So, I am not going to worry about it anymore.  Besides, I got the 125,000 mile extended warranty.  If the A/C fails, I will have a clean conscience about the issue.

I have my liftgate update scheduled for July.  I'll bring it up with my service advisor, just to let the SA know everything I know, and to see what the dealership says by then.  By that time, maybe dealers will have been given enough guidance from Ford about what, if anything, to do about the noise. 

My C-MAX is running up to expectations.  So, I am not too worried about the noise that I only hear with windows open, during the first minute of my startup.

• SOMD likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   FoutsNC

FoutsNC

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 170 posts
  • LocationApex, NC
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

I was thinking that your response would be similar to what you have reported.  It is quite loud when running at a higher pace on hot days.  It's noticably louder than gas powered vehicles.  This weekend I left it on while I ran into a grocery store.  I was parked about 6-7 spaces back.  There was plenty of traffic noise and other cars running around the lot and I could hear my A/C as soon as I came out of the store's doors over the other weekend noises.  I have noticed that if I leave the AC at a lower setting (3 bars for the fan) and leave recirc on, it will usually go away.  I have been playing with the settings a bit lately to see if I can decrease the load, noise, and hopefully increase MPG again.  At this point, I think we will just have to deal with it.  I do think that Ford should take note though.  I have plenty of Prius' in my area and I have not noticed the same issues with them.  And I have been paying attention for the last several days too :) 

#23 OFFLINE   Testdriver

Testdriver

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 89 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max SE

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

I think the AC noise is normal. It's the same with the Prius, apparently:

http://priuschat.com...ng-noise.64630/

#24 OFFLINE   TxTom

TxTom

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 52 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationValleyRanch, TX
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL w/303A

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:39 AM

Thanks for the Prius report. Hope other C-Max owners with this noise make comments...just in case the Ford marketing team is following, and it feels they should investigate with the Ford engineering folks. Would like them to advise if all is as they planned it, or is a "surprise." And if anything can be done via a TSB.

Edited by TxTom, 20 June 2013 - 05:20 AM.

#25 OFFLINE   CNCGeek

CNCGeek

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 309 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:C-max hybrid

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:42 AM

I thought it was a little chain saw running under the hood, at least I know what it is now.

#26 OFFLINE   dtorres

dtorres

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 267 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

I noticed it early on also and had a similar experience when I took it to the dealer. The service tech noted that it was loud and said they'd contact Ford for guidance. In the end Ford engineers advised them it was normal and nothing was to be done. The service tech did mention that they checked other C-Maxs on the lot and two others made the noise and a third did not.

#27 OFFLINE   CassidyB

CassidyB

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 142 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationBirmingham
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

I haven't noticed an AC related buzz....But my AC did freeze up during a beach trip in October. That's never happened with any other car that I've owned.

#28 OFFLINE   METROMAN

METROMAN

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 102 posts
  • LocationFredericksburg, VA
  • Current Vehicle:SEL C-MAX

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

AC UPDATE

Original problem continues. When it decides to act up, I notice that the wife's phone doesn't connect when we get in & the big screen says the ac is off when the bottom panel says it's on. The bottom panel can be set for 68 deg & it doesn't blow cold. Could I need the 3.5..1 update too? Car was built in 04/13. How do you know what software version you're running?

#29 OFFLINE   Laurel

Laurel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

Metroman you can you go to syncmyride.com, register and enter your VIN to see if you have 3.5.1.  I suspect that you do if your car was built in April of this year.

#30 OFFLINE   Baldrick

Baldrick

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 17 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDetroit Area
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

Having the same issue with mine - although from outside it sounds like we have 1000 angry bees under the hood. Already had the fan unit replaced like TxTom and had similar experience with the dealer not having heard this before. It still makes a racket and its getting to the point where its embarrassing, especially as we have many neighbors with Prius' that are silent (I still wouldn't have one though).

The C-Max is headed in to get the updates next week and I'm planning on asking the dealer if they have any updates on the noise cause/resolutions.

#31 OFFLINE   Noah Harbinger

Noah Harbinger

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 425 posts
  • LocationMetro San Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:55 PM

I noticed that there are times when it seems like it makes the noise, but the AC isn't running (although it is most reproducable when it is running) - I wonder if it's possible that there's something else making the noise? 

#32 OFFLINE   slampro

slampro

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 211 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationEL Paso
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2008 Escape Hybrid, Cmax Hybrid Sel 303A, pano roof.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

Not sure if this will help anyone, but I have been driving a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid since July of 09. It has 79,000 miles on it. From my experience I can tell you that it makes all kinds of weird clicks, buzzes, hums, and such. At first I wasn't sure what any of it was. I remembered reading on a FEH forum that hybrids can/will make sounds and noises you may not be used to. Partly because of the hybrid components doing their thing, partly because you are used to the gas engine masking most other sounds. Over time, probably somewhere around 10,000 miles, I got used to the noises. Now when I hear them, they make the Ka-Ching sound in my head. I know the hybrid components are working, thus saving me some money.

I listened to the video in this thread, and it sounded kinda like my Escape hybrid.

I cannot comment about a Prius. I have never spent enough time with one.

Looks like we might be keeping the Escape, and will have both generation Ford hybrids. I kinda like the sound of that.

#33 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,408 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida
  • Current Vehicle:SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

Now when I hear them, they make the Ka-Ching sound in my head. I know the hybrid components are working, thus saving me some money.

:hi5:

#34 OFFLINE   Maximus

Maximus

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 97 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:Prius

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

I think the AC noise is normal. It's the same with the Prius, apparently:

http://priuschat.com...ng-noise.64630/

Yes! My Prius had a similar noise. The C and the Prius both use a scroll type compressor so it sounds different that what I'm used to. It's loud when first started and iits going full speed then it quiets down.

#35 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 672 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

Found this on YouTube:     It's about scroll compressors and the noise made sure sounds like what I sometimes hear.

#36 OFFLINE   wab

wab

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 927 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Locationnorth texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL 303 with Glass Roof

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

I followed the link in this thread

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1841-12-volt-battery-tsb-5962-or-fsa-13a01/

and found this. Notice the date, 09-JULY-2013.

BROADCAST MESSAGES

BROADCAST MESSAGES

09-JULY-2013
4:06:17
FCXWS446

*BROADCAST MESSAGE

"6298 - 2012-2013 C-Max/Focus/Fusion/MKZ Hybrid - Plug In Hybrid - Battery Electric Vehicles - A/C Compressor Noise - Low Refrigerant Charge
Some 2012-2013 C-Max/Focus/Fusion/MKZ Hybrid/Plug In Hybrid and Battery Electric vehicles may exhibit excessive noise from the electric A/C compressor. A/C compressor noise in these vehicles may occur due to an incorrect refrigerant level or restriction in the system. Prior to following normal diagnostics for A/C compressor noise, check for refrigerant leaks and line restrictions. Repair as required per Workshop Manual, Section 412-00 then evaluate the system for noise. Typically, no additional service will be required after performing these repairs."

• andeeca likes this

#37 OFFLINE   ceemax71

ceemax71

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 251 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationMissouri
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

I followed the link in this thread

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1841-12-volt-battery-tsb-5962-or-fsa-13a01/

and found this. Notice the date, 09-JULY-2013.

The link you are referring to (http://www.vrep.ford...oadcast=ON) lists the broadcast messages issued in the last 7-10 days.

The A/C Compressor Noise message was actually issued on July 3, 2013.

See this post from Bill-N.

#38 OFFLINE   ford

ford

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 23 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:c max se

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

Driving along with the ac on & noticed it was getting a little toasty. Had it set on 74, blower on 3rd bar & recycle on. Kept turning down the temp, even to 60 something & increasing blower speed. Never got any cooler. Started thinking maybe the compressor just died like others have expirenced. Decided to pull over, shut off the car & restart it. Worked fine after the "reboot". Guess it's a typical Bill Gates kind of thing. Doesn't work right, just reboot the system. Anybody else seen this?

I was on an eight hour road trip when this happened to me five times. I got it working again buy pushing all the control buttons including the off/on button. I don't know what combination was correct but sooner or later it would start working again.  I would have the air on speed 2 and it would start getting warm so I would switch to a higher speed with no affect.  I put my hand over the air vent to check the amount of air flow.  No matter what speed I set the fan at the air flow felt like number 1 speed or less. I could hear the fan running at different speeds, but the air flow from the air vent would still be at number 1 or less.   When ever I would get it working normal again it would work for about  30-60 minutes then I would have to repeat the process again.  I only had  trouble on this one day.The next day the air conditioner worked normal and has for the last five weeks.   I guess you're right,    "Reboot"  

#39 OFFLINE   mycmax

mycmax

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMissouri
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

For those of you who are having AC noises does your fan start as soon as your turn your vehicle on?  For the first 6 months mine did and then when I got in last night nothing happened.  Played with the settings, turned the speed up/down, floor vents, normal vents, defrost, etc, cycled the system on and off, nothing happened.  Heard a sort of groaning sound in the background similar to the video in this post that got louder as I clicked fan speed up.  Finally gave up after about a minute of nothing happening and turned the system off.   A few minutes later decided to try again and it worked with no problem.   Today when I get in the blower doesn't start for between 30-60 secods regardless of what buttons I push / settings I change.  Anyone else have something similar?

• SOMD likes this

#40 OFFLINE   zhackwyatt

zhackwyatt

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 829 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Sel 303A

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

For those of you who are having AC noises does your fan start as soon as your turn your vehicle on?  For the first 6 months mine did and then when I got in last night nothing happened.  Played with the settings, turned the speed up/down, floor vents, normal vents, defrost, etc, cycled the system on and off, nothing happened.  Heard a sort of groaning sound in the background similar to the video in this post that got louder as I clicked fan speed up.  Finally gave up after about a minute of nothing happening and turned the system off.   A few minutes later decided to try again and it worked with no problem.   Today when I get in the blower doesn't start for between 30-60 secods regardless of what buttons I push / settings I change.  Anyone else have something similar?

If my car has been sitting out in the heat all day, and in the Auto setting, it takes a few seconds for my fan to turn on (so the car doesn't blow hot air on me).

However, using the manual settings, I believe it is immediate.  Your car does not behave like mine.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·