METROMAN

I noticed it early on also and had a similar experience when I took it to the dealer. The service tech noted that it was loud and said they'd contact Ford for guidance. In the end Ford engineers advised them it was normal and nothing was to be done. The service tech did mention that they checked other C-Maxs on the lot and two others made the noise and a third did not.

AC UPDATE

Original problem continues. When it decides to act up, I notice that the wife's phone doesn't connect when we get in & the big screen says the ac is off when the bottom panel says it's on. The bottom panel can be set for 68 deg & it doesn't blow cold. Could I need the 3.5..1 update too? Car was built in 04/13. How do you know what software version you're running?

Having the same issue with mine - although from outside it sounds like we have 1000 angry bees under the hood. Already had the fan unit replaced like TxTom and had similar experience with the dealer not having heard this before. It still makes a racket and its getting to the point where its embarrassing, especially as we have many neighbors with Prius' that are silent (I still wouldn't have one though).

The C-Max is headed in to get the updates next week and I'm planning on asking the dealer if they have any updates on the noise cause/resolutions.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but I have been driving a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid since July of 09. It has 79,000 miles on it. From my experience I can tell you that it makes all kinds of weird clicks, buzzes, hums, and such. At first I wasn't sure what any of it was. I remembered reading on a FEH forum that hybrids can/will make sounds and noises you may not be used to. Partly because of the hybrid components doing their thing, partly because you are used to the gas engine masking most other sounds. Over time, probably somewhere around 10,000 miles, I got used to the noises. Now when I hear them, they make the Ka-Ching sound in my head. I know the hybrid components are working, thus saving me some money.

I listened to the video in this thread, and it sounded kinda like my Escape hybrid.

I cannot comment about a Prius. I have never spent enough time with one.

Looks like we might be keeping the Escape, and will have both generation Ford hybrids. I kinda like the sound of that.

I followed the link in this thread

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1841-12-volt-battery-tsb-5962-or-fsa-13a01/

and found this. Notice the date, 09-JULY-2013.

BROADCAST MESSAGES

BROADCAST MESSAGES

09-JULY-2013
4:06:17
FCXWS446

*BROADCAST MESSAGE

"6298 - 2012-2013 C-Max/Focus/Fusion/MKZ Hybrid - Plug In Hybrid - Battery Electric Vehicles - A/C Compressor Noise - Low Refrigerant Charge
Some 2012-2013 C-Max/Focus/Fusion/MKZ Hybrid/Plug In Hybrid and Battery Electric vehicles may exhibit excessive noise from the electric A/C compressor. A/C compressor noise in these vehicles may occur due to an incorrect refrigerant level or restriction in the system. Prior to following normal diagnostics for A/C compressor noise, check for refrigerant leaks and line restrictions. Repair as required per Workshop Manual, Section 412-00 then evaluate the system for noise. Typically, no additional service will be required after performing these repairs."

I followed the link in this thread

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1841-12-volt-battery-tsb-5962-or-fsa-13a01/

and found this. Notice the date, 09-JULY-2013.

The link you are referring to (http://www.vrep.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/oasis/oareq.asp?broadcast=ON&from) lists the broadcast messages issued in the last 7-10 days.

The A/C Compressor Noise message was actually issued on July 3, 2013.

See this post from Bill-N.

• 2 weeks later...

Driving along with the ac on & noticed it was getting a little toasty. Had it set on 74, blower on 3rd bar & recycle on. Kept turning down the temp, even to 60 something & increasing blower speed. Never got any cooler. Started thinking maybe the compressor just died like others have expirenced. Decided to pull over, shut off the car & restart it. Worked fine after the "reboot". Guess it's a typical Bill Gates kind of thing. Doesn't work right, just reboot the system. Anybody else seen this?

I was on an eight hour road trip when this happened to me five times. I got it working again buy pushing all the control buttons including the off/on button. I don't know what combination was correct but sooner or later it would start working again.  I would have the air on speed 2 and it would start getting warm so I would switch to a higher speed with no affect.  I put my hand over the air vent to check the amount of air flow.  No matter what speed I set the fan at the air flow felt like number 1 speed or less. I could hear the fan running at different speeds, but the air flow from the air vent would still be at number 1 or less.   When ever I would get it working normal again it would work for about  30-60 minutes then I would have to repeat the process again.  I only had  trouble on this one day.The next day the air conditioner worked normal and has for the last five weeks.   I guess you're right,    "Reboot"  

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you who are having AC noises does your fan start as soon as your turn your vehicle on?  For the first 6 months mine did and then when I got in last night nothing happened.  Played with the settings, turned the speed up/down, floor vents, normal vents, defrost, etc, cycled the system on and off, nothing happened.  Heard a sort of groaning sound in the background similar to the video in this post that got louder as I clicked fan speed up.  Finally gave up after about a minute of nothing happening and turned the system off.   A few minutes later decided to try again and it worked with no problem.   Today when I get in the blower doesn't start for between 30-60 secods regardless of what buttons I push / settings I change.  Anyone else have something similar?

For those of you who are having AC noises does your fan start as soon as your turn your vehicle on?  For the first 6 months mine did and then when I got in last night nothing happened.  Played with the settings, turned the speed up/down, floor vents, normal vents, defrost, etc, cycled the system on and off, nothing happened.  Heard a sort of groaning sound in the background similar to the video in this post that got louder as I clicked fan speed up.  Finally gave up after about a minute of nothing happening and turned the system off.   A few minutes later decided to try again and it worked with no problem.   Today when I get in the blower doesn't start for between 30-60 secods regardless of what buttons I push / settings I change.  Anyone else have something similar?

If my car has been sitting out in the heat all day, and in the Auto setting, it takes a few seconds for my fan to turn on (so the car doesn't blow hot air on me).

However, using the manual settings, I believe it is immediate.  Your car does not behave like mine.

You mean your A/C was quiet before?  Mine has always sounded like a chain saw.

No, I had it on but had my windows up so naturally with the noise cancellation I did not hear it. U know, windows up to keep the cool air in....but last night, I was playing with the new MFT 3.6 and turned on the AC with both windows down - and in the garage - so the sound got magnified & it was crap. I turned it on with the windows down this evening and heard the same thing....

Now, did you take yours in and see if the SA can do anything about it?

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

No, I had it on but had my windows up so naturally with the noise cancellation I did not hear it. U know, windows up to keep the cool air in....but last night, I was playing with the new MFT 3.6 and turned on the AC with both windows down - and in the garage - so the sound got magnified & it was crap. I turned it on with the windows down this evening and heard the same thing....

Now, did you take yours in and see if the SA can do anything about it?

Ah, I noticed it because I use remote start so I approach the vehicle with it running.

I never took it in for that because I always assumed it was normal because other people reported the same. I figured it has the added bonus of alerting people so they don't walk in front of me  :detective:

I often pull away from parking with all windows open, blowing out the even hotter air out into the hot outside air.  I hear that noise.  It starts within two to five seconds, pretty much immediate but building speed.  Since all seems to be working fine, and with all of the reports of the noise turning out to be normal, I stopped worrying about it.

I walked by a Prius V (which has, I believe, the same new electronic compressor) as it was starting up, and it was making the same noise. It may just be a drawback of these electronic compressors. 

On the other hand, when I turn on the car, with AC off, in silent start mode (no ICE), and have my foot on the brake, I'd swear I'm hearing the same thing, but a lot quieter. So I'm wondering if it's something to do with pumping coolant to the inverter? The brake booster is powered by the high-voltage battery as well, no?

You mean your A/C was quiet before?  Mine has always sounded like a chain saw.

Mine too. So did my 2007 Camry hybrid and my 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid. I think my C-Max might not be as loud as the Fusion was. I just ignore it as the AC works very well

• 1 month later...

New to forum. Have had C-Max 10 months or so and have same issues. I have the noise (very loud) when starting up and in electric mode. Also, A/C not functioning as others have described. What happens to us it that we'll get cold air on driver side, and often blow heat on passenger side. If not heat, will be outside air. It can be fixed by leaving A/C on, but turning car off for a good 10 seconds to (apparently) reboot. Will generally work after that, although we don't generally get really cold A/C. I say 'generally' as we've had A/C working fully and sending in really cold air, both side.

Of course, dealer can find nothing wrong with anything. I don't know what to do.

As an aside, we're getting 41.5 mpg in a lot of suburban-type driving and highway. The trick to staying in electric mode, as I would assume most would know, is to be gentle on the accelerator. Heavy foot, cruddy mileage. I can run around town mostly in electric mode if I'm careful on the gas.

Edited by retiredtraveler