Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Stuff doesn't fall off my glove box shelf anymore! :)

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dtorres

dtorres

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 267 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:24 PM

Thanks Jeff for doing these it fit awesome.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   MtnMarty

MtnMarty

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 177 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationAsheville, NC
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C Max Hybrid

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

Thanks Jeff. The shelf thing arrived in today's mail and about 1 minute after removal from the envelop it was in place. Fits perfectly.

#43 OFFLINE   YakMax

YakMax

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 20 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWashington state
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

Jeff, after spending some time to find your post on this simple fix, I ordered mine and can`t wait to put it on. Oh, BTW, thank you again! :yahoo:

#44 OFFLINE   CarpeNivem

CarpeNivem

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver, CO
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX SE

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:02 PM

The two recently ordered shelf-fixers (one today and one Saturday) have been made, and were just shipped out tonight.

#45 OFFLINE   CarpeNivem

CarpeNivem

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

How many inches wide is it? I wonder if one of these would work in our Fusion Hybrid. Thank you

Would you like one for the Fusion? I visited a Ford dealership yesterday and took some measurements. Not only should the whole thing be longer, but it also shouldn't be as tall, and the adhesive shouldn't be as thick. That said, I could easily make one to these dimensions, if you would like. Just let me know.

#46 OFFLINE   CMax-Traveler

CMax-Traveler

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 90 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Hybrid SE 201A

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:30 AM

Assuming you're still doing these, I just ordered one... such an awesome idea, I'm still not sure why Ford couldn't have done this themselves!

Thanks so much!!

#47 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

Brother Mike (a.k.a. mtb9153)

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationS.F. South Bay Area, Ca.
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL with 303A, with Panoramic window using GasPods on the roof, born 9/9/12

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:24 AM

Awesome service you are providing to the Forum.  Certainly enjoying mine

#48 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 494 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium, 2013 Focus Electric, my parents have a C-Max Energi

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

Would you like one for the Fusion? I visited a Ford dealership yesterday and took some measurements. Not only should the whole thing be longer, but it also shouldn't be as tall, and the adhesive shouldn't be as thick. That said, I could easily make one to these dimensions, if you would like. Just let me know.

I posted a topic on the FFH Forum with links to your work here so we can see how many FFH owners are interested. How tall are you thinking you'd make the lip for the FFH? It seems like our glovebox has a much shorter opening from top to bottom but is wider side-to-side. I'd think it would need to be pretty short to still allow you to reach over it to items inside. But yes I am interested in one for our Fusion. Thanks!

Here's a link to the FFH Forum topic

Edited by hybridbear, 12 August 2013 - 11:03 AM.

#49 OFFLINE   CarpeNivem

CarpeNivem

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

I posted a topic on the FFH Forum with links to your work here so we can see how many FFH owners are interested. How tall are you thinking you'd make the lip for the FFH? It seems like our glovebox has a much shorter opening from top to bottom but is wider side-to-side. I'd think it would need to be pretty short to still allow you to reach over it to items inside. But yes I am interested in one for our Fusion. Thanks!

Exactly. I noticed that too. The glovebox is shorter overall, so the lip would need to be smaller, for easier access to put things away or take them out.

When I made my own, I experimented with height and found roughly 1.5" was just tall enough to be useful without being cumbersome. I'd probably make two or three prototypes, take them to a dealership, and stick them in one of the showroom Fusions (with Scotch tape, of course, for immediate removal) to see what works best. I'm thinking probably 1" tall or less, but whatever works.

#50 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 36 posts
  • Region:North Africa
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium Energi x 2

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

Here's a FFH forum user interested in two of them!  Will use that link and go from there, thanks,,,

#51 OFFLINE   CarpeNivem

CarpeNivem

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:35 PM

Rubbermaid shelf liner, as mentioned by someone there, would actually be cheaper, yeah. That's another good idea, which I hadn't thought of. It wouldn't do anything for stuff on top of other stuff - like my Sirius channel guide, for example - but it'd probably still work overall for most things. Oh, and round things, it wouldn't work for either; they'd still roll off. But still, yeah, most things, I'll grant, that would be totally fine for. It really is another good idea.

Keep in mind, I didn't get into this as a business venture. This was just an idea I had for my car, and felt proud enough to share. That others would be interested as well came as a surprise, which I welcomed and embraced, seemingly to the delight of many, but a surprise nonetheless. I'll make them as long as people want them, and/or feel no dismay if others don't.

Speaking of which, fresh plastic has been acquired for the piece that was ordered earlier today. I haven't had a chance to shape it yet, but I plan on doing that and getting it in the mail tomorrow.

• hybridbear likes this

#52 OFFLINE   CarpeNivem

CarpeNivem

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:37 PM

Also, re-looking at my own picture in the beginning of this thread, it's funny that I now think that's the worst one. All of the others have nice rounded edges. I've made so many for other people, I forgot to go back and remake my own. Haha. I should really do that. :)

• slampro likes this

#53 OFFLINE   salsaguy

salsaguy

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,371 posts
  • LocationWhittier, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2012 VW Passat 2.5L SEL Premium

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:52 AM

Will be interested in one once we get our cmax.....

Edited by salsaguy, 14 August 2013 - 02:55 AM.

#54 OFFLINE   CarpeNivem

CarpeNivem

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:35 PM

Okay, not gonna lie, the Fusion edition was considerably more difficult. Nevertheless, here it is: http://i.imgur.com/gsKsSMC.jpg

I'll swing by a Ford dealership tomorrow for a test fit, but I think it'll be perfect.

#55 OFFLINE   CarpeNivem

CarpeNivem

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

Test fit in a showroom Fusion went perfectly! :yahoo:  This one is ready for sale...

pIdCgRD.jpg

(What appears to be imperfections the plastic are actually the results of having used a flash. In reality, that piece is flawlessly clear all the way across.)

I also shipped out the CMax one that had been ordered recently, so if you're my silent Massachusetts customer, I haven't forgotten. You'll have yours soon.  :victory:

Edited by CarpeNivem, 14 August 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#56 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 494 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium, 2013 Focus Electric, my parents have a C-Max Energi

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

Test fit in a showroom Fusion went perfectly! :yahoo:  This one is ready for sale...

Thanks so much for making these for Fusion owners too! PayPal payment sent!

• CarpeNivem likes this

#57 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

Brother Mike (a.k.a. mtb9153)

• 1,527 posts
  • LocationS.F. South Bay Area, Ca.
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL with 303A, with Panoramic window using GasPods on the roof, born 9/9/12

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

pIdCgRD.jpg

(What appears to be imperfections the plastic are actually the results of having used a flash. In reality, that piece is flawlessly clear all the way across.)

I also shipped out the CMax one that had been ordered recently, so if you're my silent Massachusetts customer, I haven't forgotten. You'll have yours soon.  :victory:

Interesting, thinner and slightly longer than the CMax version or so it appears.  Great job once again.  Was wondering have you been keeping track of how many orders have been placed?  Just curious.

Edited by mtb9153, 15 August 2013 - 08:02 AM.

• hybridbear likes this

#58 OFFLINE   CarpeNivem

CarpeNivem

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

Yeah, it's a bit thinner and considerably longer. It's only 1" high, instead of roughly 1.6", to account for the glovebox itself not being as tall, and much longer, at 16" instead of 10". The Fusion glovebox is WAY wider than ours. The Fusion itself, I think, is way wider than ours. It was difficult at first to cut a piece that long and still keep the edge that straight, but with some practice, I got it. And with that practice, the next one will go much quicker. :)

I'm loving the practice, actually! I feel like every one of these has been nicer than the one before it. I almost feel a little bad for the earlier customers. The last one I sent out (to MA) was definitely the best so far. Just remember, mine's the worst one. I have the first. But they all work the same. ;)

To your other question, I hadn't been keeping track, but I just checked my PayPal records and it seems, wow, I've sold 10 of them. Awesome!  :drop:  

Although, to be clear (hehe), before anyone thinks that's ninety-nine dollars, remember that PayPal takes a piece of each sale, the post office takes their cut, the plastic and adhesive aren't free, and I've really been taking my time making sure each piece is cut and sanded smoothly. I still throw out pieces I've finished and then decided aren't good enough. So while I've definitely collected quite a bit of money (thank you all!), and I have to admit, it hasn't been TOO difficult, the truth is, it hasn't been all that easy either - ask Mrs. Nivem; she'll tell you. ;)

Mostly though, I really have to say, it HAS been flattering, so thank you all again for that. I mean it.  :love_shower:

( Edit: Wait, I just remembered, I've sold 9. I see 10 sales receipts because my dear Canadian friend paid double.  :victory: )

Edited by CarpeNivem, 15 August 2013 - 09:25 AM.

• hybridbear and slampro like this

#59 OFFLINE   CMax-Traveler

CMax-Traveler

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 90 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Hybrid SE 201A

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

Assuming you're still doing these, I just ordered one... such an awesome idea, I'm still not sure why Ford couldn't have done this themselves!

Thanks so much!!

Silent? ;)

Thanks so much, looking forward to not having to clean up a mess every time I open the glove box!

• hybridbear and CarpeNivem like this

#60 OFFLINE   CarpeNivem

CarpeNivem

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

So, it seems the Fusion piece costs more to ship, because its size pushes the packaging out of the "document" realm and into the "parcel" realm. I swear the post office makes these things up as they go along, but that aside, the first one is on its way now (don't worry about the extra cost; it wasn't much, and I appreciated the opportunity to try something new anyway).

However, because of this, and the slightly increased difficulty, I think it would be fair to charge a little extra for subsequent Fusion pieces (just in case anyone else wants one), right? I mean, is that fair? Here are some new links...

[Links finally removed on 12/17/2016]

I plan on making two Fusion pieces and three CMax pieces this weekend, so I'll have stuff ready for shipping, just in case.

Edited by CarpeNivem, 17 December 2016 - 01:26 PM.

• hybridbear likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·