C-Max making noises at night

My next door neighbor claims that my C-Max has been making noises at night. On 2 separate nights they've claimed that they've heard a loud alarm-like noise coming from the car, though not loud enough to be an actual car alarm. Both nights they heard it on multiple occasions, and they thought the noise started almost exactly an hour apart. Their bedroom window is right next to our driveway where we leave the car, which is why they've heard the noises and we have not.

We have the base SE model (200a) with MFT and the winter package, so we do not have any proximity sensors or anything like that (I think). I've contacted my dealer and they could not find a similar issue reported in their database. . Anyone have any idea what could be causing this or experienced similar issues?

You neighbor probably sleeps right next to the rear wheels of your car, hugging the wheels like pillow...cause thats the only noise mine makes when the car cools the Lith batteries when the car is off. To hear that, you literally have to have your ears next to the wheel as I found out while checking the tire pressure. No other noises reported.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax...you live in the hot Valley (I'm from Northridge previously)...do you have the a/c buzz noted in the other postings? The claim here is that all other C-Maxs have it at a/c start-up. Dealer went so far as replacing the compressor ($1,800+) since they thought it was not normal...until Ford engineering in Michigan told them to check the 3 others at the dealer...and found the noise as mine/others. Ford HDQ was not previously aware of this "issue."

Thanks for your insight in advance...Tom

All I can think of that would honk the horn is the perimeter alarm system going off, i.e. a door or hatch is ajar or not adjusted correctly, and/or somebody's messing with your car.

There's no other alarm-like noise that the C-Max would make.  If it really sounds like an alarm and not a horn (and you haven't got an add-on alarm system), it must be somebody else's car.

My C-Max has made noise on at least two occasions ( that I heard ). The door to the garage ( the C-Max is parked with the front end right at the door ) is located between the MB and the kitchen. The noise prompted me to open the door and see what was going on in the garage. What I heard was more of a buzzing with some clicking sounds. I figured it was par for the course for the C-Max.

My C-Max has made noise on at least two occasions ( that I heard ). The door to the garage ( the C-Max is parked with the front end right at the door ) is located between the MB and the kitchen. The noise prompted me to open the door and see what was going on in the garage. What I heard was more of a buzzing with some clicking sounds. I figured it was par for the course for the C-Max.

Like this?

Like this?

From http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2130-c-max-romance-andor-sleeping-tips-and-tricks/?hl=romance

obob, on 01 Jun 2013 - 03:15, said:snapback.png

t one point my friend and I both heard a buzzing/motor sound that lasted about 8 minutes with key off. 

I and several others have noticed this.  I'm guessing it's the C-Max performing fuel system evaporation leak test(s).  These apparently need to be done after the car sits awhile so there is no pressure inside the fuel system.  There's some mention of these tests here (http://fordcmaxhybri...ne-light/page-4) that may help.

Edited by Bill-N, 01 June 2013 - 11:27 AM.

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd follow up on this issue. A couple weeks ago, my wife heard one of our neighbor's alarm clocks go off that fit the description of the noise that my other neighbors thought was coming from our car. They haven't heard any noises from our car in a while, so I'm going to chalk it up to them mistaking the alarm clock noise for a noise coming from our C-Max.  

Those of us who tow CMax's and Hybrid Fusions behind motorhomes have discovered that the brake system vacuum pump is always live regardless of key position.  So with everything off, if the vacuum leaks down, the pump will fire up and pump down the vacuum in the reservoir.  

This is, I believe, what runs down the 12V battery in 3 hours or less when we tow.  Every Time our auxiliary brake systems apply the brakes, it uses vacuum and then the pump has to run.  This is a big pump, the fuse is 40 amp!  This is also why your 12V battery will run down if you let the car set a few weeks.  It even warns you in the owner's manual to put it on a charger if you're going to leave it set for a few weeks.

You can hear it fire up when you first open the driver's door to get in.  It almost always does this unless you have recently driven it.  As these cars get older and the vacuum system gets leakier we can expect the battery to run down more often as the pump has to run more.

This could be one of the dumbest design flaws on this car.  I cannot imagine why it's designed this way.  Pump should be hooked up to the accessory circuit so it only runs when the ignition is on.

Those of us who tow CMax's and Hybrid Fusions behind motorhomes have discovered that the brake system vacuum pump is always live regardless of key position.  So with everything off, if the vacuum leaks down, the pump will fire up and pump down the vacuum in the reservoir.  

This is, I believe, what runs down the 12V battery in 3 hours or less when we tow.  Every Time our auxiliary brake systems apply the brakes, it uses vacuum and then the pump has to run.  This is a big pump, the fuse is 40 amp!  This is also why your 12V battery will run down if you let the car set a few weeks.  It even warns you in the owner's manual to put it on a charger if you're going to leave it set for a few weeks.

You can hear it fire up when you first open the driver's door to get in.  It almost always does this unless you have recently driven it.  As these cars get older and the vacuum system gets leakier we can expect the battery to run down more often as the pump has to run more.

This could be one of the dumbest design flaws on this car.  I cannot imagine why it's designed this way.  Pump should be hooked up to the accessory circuit so it only runs when the ignition is on.

Did this 'feature' get added to the 2013 Fusion hybrids (my 2010 fires up its pump when I turn the key to run (just opening the door(s) won't do it ((not doubting you, just curious))

I don't know about earlier models.  In fact I argued with a Fusion guy on this forum because I thought mine didn't do it.  While running some tests to fine tune my auxiliary braking system I discovered that mine was always live too. 

Certainly keeping the pump disabled when the key is off would be the logical approach.  I think someone dropped the ball here.

sounds like what might be a possible culprit for the dead battery issues if something is staying on.

or.... do you have a cat or maybe dogs walking in front of car at night? goblins or ghosts....

can you leave a webcam on a tripod to record it?

My next door neighbor claims that my C-Max has been making noises at night. On 2 separate nights they've claimed that they've heard a loud alarm-like noise coming from the car, though not loud enough to be an actual car alarm. Both nights they heard it on multiple occasions, and they thought the noise started almost exactly an hour apart. Their bedroom window is right next to our driveway where we leave the car, which is why they've heard the noises and we have not.

We have the base SE model (200a) with MFT and the winter package, so we do not have any proximity sensors or anything like that (I think). I've contacted my dealer and they could not find a similar issue reported in their database. . Anyone have any idea what could be causing this or experienced similar issues?