Purchase an extended warranty

How long do we have to buy an extended warranty? Any known dealers giving a great price? What coverages are available & prices paid? Last two cars I bought I was very happy I purchased the warranty. 100k warranty on a Chry minivan & engine died at 96k. Honda Odyssey van trans died at 83k with 100k warranty. Both repairs were north of $3, 000.

The plan I bought was about $2200 for 100k with a $100 deductible. Rental after one day and for Ford dealerships only. Since I bought a new model in it's first year I expect some issues. The amount of gas I am now saving makes up for a few issues along the way.

Time wise I am not sure, since I bought at the time of purchase.

I would recommend it to anyone who has doubts about buying a hybrid like myself.

They offered the warranty to me but it was over $2,000, can't remember what the exact cost was, but it was a lot.  The guy asked us 3 times, each time lowering the cost from the previous time.  I think it started at $2,900, he dropped it to $2,500, then it was in the lower 2's, maybe $2,200 like KAL Cmax said.  

I figure the majority of things that will need to get repaired in the first 100k miles are typical wear and tear items that the warranty wouldn't cover anyway, so that was an awful lot of money to put down up front betting something would go wrong with the car.

Even the wear and tear items on the C-Max should last a lot longer than a typical car.  We barely use the friction brakes because of regeneration, oil changes are every 10,000 miles, heck even getting gas is a once a month occurrence for me!  (used to be almost a weekly event!)

Edit: I have yet to fill up this month and I still have a quarter tank!

Edited by SnitGTS

My go-to dealer (and website) for the Ford ESP extended warranties was always Lombard Ford in Barkhamsted, CT (www.fordwarrantys.com), but I found a dealer that beats them in price: Anderson and Koch Ford in North Branch, MN (www.andersonandkoch-ford-warranty.com).

A&K quoted the 125,000-mile/84-month/$200 deductible ESP PremiumCARE (highest level) warranty for $1,400.  They also quoted (via e-mail, not available on their website) $1,425 for the ESP maintenance plan (125,000-mile/84-month/10,000-mile service interval) if purchased at the same time.

My dealer (Sheehy Ford) initially quoted about $2,800 for each, but when I gave them the A&K quotes, they came down to as low as they could get ($1,625 on warranty, $1,585 on maintenance).  Turns out that the more warrantys/maintenance plans a dealer sells, the lower price they get from Ford, so a dealer like A&K that is probably the #1 online seller of warrantys/maintenance plans can offer a lower price than Sheehy.  GIven that I could roll the plans into my financing if I bought through Sheehy, I felt the slightly higher price was worth it.

So, if you're willing to buy separately from your vehicle, I definitely recommend A&K.  At the very least, get quotes and use them to bring your dealer's price down.  It can't hurt to try!

Edited by MadManMoon

Dealer said MSRP for warranty was around $2800-$2900. With X-Plan, it dropped to around $1800-$1900. I recall searching on internet and found a few dealers that quoted around $1400-$1500.

Also, you might want to see if your auto insurer offers Mechanical Breakdown Insurance. I switched to Geico and picked up MBI. The car has to be purchased new, be less than 15 months old, and have less than 15k miles on it. It's coverage is for 7 years / 100k miles with $250 deductible and covers everything but routine maintenance. Reviews about Geico handling claims under MBI are excellent.

My 6 month premium is $13.88. It can (and likely will go up over time). I've heard that an increase of about $30 per year should be expected. So, I figure I'll pay around $30 the first year, then $60, $90, $120, $150, 180, 210 = $840 total. What I like is the low upfront costs and if I accumulate miles such that I reach 100k before 7 years, I will pay less than $840. In addition, because the Ford extended warranty is prorated and the MBI increases over time, if I keep the car less than 7 years (and don't exceed the mileage), I would end up paying even less for the MBI coverage vs the Ford coverage. Also, it's likely that if one files a claim under the Ford policy, it negates any proration for terminating early.

Update: Geico 1st yr premium = $27.76;

2nd year = $27.64

3rd year = $30.90

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

I did have X-Plan pricing, not sure of the timeline since I average 25k a year so it will expire by mileage first.

I don't recall the deductible for the $1800-$1900 X-Plan price I ask about. It probably was $200 deductible.

Also, I did a quick internet search again for the Ford ESP and the rates are less than what I remember from about 3-4 months ago. Here's the link.

http://www.floodfordesp.com/esp_plans.php?PlanDetailID=31&ModelID=29&VehicleYear=2013&VehicleMileage=1000&StateID=3&Surcharge1=0&AWD=0&Surcharge4=0&Surcharge2=0&Surcharge3=0&Submit=Continue

It appears to be the same prices as in above links except all plan rates are on one page. Other than paying early, Flood Ford appears to have rates that may be very close to Geico's MBI (PremiumCare, 7/100k, $200 deductible for $975. These are certainly more realistic prices once one removes most of the "dealer profit" from the MSRP price.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

I believe you can cancel the Ford ESP within 30 or 60 days with no proration and maybe no cancelation fee. It should be spelled out in the paperwork. The only issue will be if the extended warranty was financed. Then, the dealer will have to give the refund to the finance company.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

• 6 months later...

Hi! I just purchased my Ruby Red SEL on 12/26. (Pretty excited!) While I think purchasing the ESP is a good idea I'm a bit lost with all of the plan types. Which one(s) did you buy? Are there that many items not covered by the standard warranty? Those with miles on their cars, have you needed/used the ESP coverage?

If it makes any difference when I turned my 2004 Escape in (one day shy of 10 years) it only had 103K miles on it. Any advice/clarification would be welcome! :)

Katherine

KAC I bought a few things when we went in to get the car.  They had me captive in the manager's office to go through all the paper work,  and I was so excited about picking up my car that I nodded my head to anything they asked LOL.  That is basically true, but I will have to go through my papers to find out what needless things I bought.  I know we have the ESP.

I will add that Lombard Ford, unlike Anderson & Koch, also carries the same genuine Ford ESP for used vehicles -- I just renewed the PremiumCARE ESP on my 2007 Shelby GT500 whose ESP was about to expire (purchased new on 12/31/2006, 7-year ESP expired on 12/31/2013)...I picked up a 5-year, 48,000-mile, $200-deductible PremiumCARE ESP for $1,470.  That will cover me until 12/31/2018 or 98,516 miles.  I'm pretty pleased - that car is expensive to repair, so it's nice to know I'll be fully covered for another five years!  As long as your car has an existing genuine Ford ESP, they'll waive the inspection requirement when you buy the used ESP contract.  Something to keep in mind 5-7 years from now as our extended warranties run out!

I've never purchased an extended warranty before, but it seems that Ford's ESP is pretty well regarded all around the Internet, so I finally picked one up last night. Our car has 11,595 miles on it, and I think the prices go up after 12k, so I figured it was now or never. I went to Flood Ford's website, as they were a few dollars cheaper than A&K. I mean, all things being equal, why pay $1210 when you can pay $1180, right? That was for the PremiumCare 5yr/100k miles, $50 deductible, enhanced rental.

Our loan is for 5 years, and if history is any guide, we'll likely sell the car right after we pay it off (because that just seems to be our track record with previous vehicles; it might not be great, but it's us). So, yeah, 5 year coverage oughta' do it. Also, look at that odometer reading, on a car we purchased in June. We're gonna need all of those 100k miles. :)

Then, my thinking on the "enhanced rental" over the "first day rental" was this: First of all, we needed at least A rental option, because this is our only car, so if it needs work, even for a day, that's a day my wife can't get to work without a rental. So, once you're opting for the rental anyway, the question becomes, $30/day reimbursement or $75/day reimbursement? The CMax is a very nice car. You can't rent something like it for $30/day today, let alone 4 years from now. Who knows what a rental car will cost in 2017? So we figured, since this plan is supposed to remain useful for several years, we might as well get the pricier rental coverage.

So, I guess we'll see how it goes. Maybe the car will have over $1.2k worth of components fail during our time with it, maybe it won't. It's a gamble, of course. But a brand new car? (I mean, first model year.) And with all these gadgets? It seemed safer to go for it, right? Right? (Just a tinge of buyer's... not so much remorse, but perhaps skepticism.)

Edited by CarpeNivem

• 2 months later...

Thanks for telling the details of your experiences.  After getting a letter from Ford Inc inviting me to get an EW and reading this thread I went to www.andersonandkoch, got quotes.  I selected one that was priced $1,010.  Called Ford Inc: $2,110.  Went to my nearest dealer: $2,300, trying to negotiate just got into weaseling around with lower coverages.  So I went back to A & K's www and got that first deal for 7 years PremiumCARE, $100 deductible on my 2013 C-Max SE, 8800 miles.

marchtex2 you won't regret the expense.  With these temperamental beasties, we need all the help we can get.  I actually have two EW's.  When the first one runs out a second kicks in.  After buying my SEL the dealer told me there was a rebate of some kind not figured into the purchase of Maxus.  They asked if I wanted a check or roll it into another EW.  I said by all means I'll take the warranty.

My Dealership told me it had to be purchased at the time I take delivery of the car.  I didn't think that was true, and emailed Ford direct and they got back to me saying I could buy it at anytime, but after 12,000 miles the price would increase substantially.  I purchased it just before the car turned 12,000 miles from a dealer out of my state and got 100,000 miles 7 years for $1500.00.

• 2 weeks later...

Per FloodFord the price for any car over 1 year old or millage over 12,000 is $1680 (PremiumCARE $100 deductible).  If less than 1 year old and up to 12,000 miles it is $1580.  The difference is only $100 and only applies if your car is less than 1 year old.  I would hardly call a 6% increase "substantial".  The real cutoff is 36,000 after which you must go to a used car policy.

My question though is: Is there an extended warranty for the high voltage battery?