Installed GasPods on liftgate

Suzanne,

The sailor in me is a bit skeptical and the engineer in me wants to believe :) One assumes that this works when apparent wind is always forward due vehicle speed. Most of my driving is hwy and I try to say under 62 mph to maximize EV mode. I would love to try your product cause I am a GEEK and think its got legs to it at speed. Did my masters work in hydrodynamics and I know the effect of separation of the streamlines. Ever see a bow of a ship ...looks like a big bulb. We will be talking when I get back from vacation. Magnetic in white for me and I am already on Fuelly and am lucky to be nailing +45-47 mpg each tank full.

From what Suzanne has told me there is no problem with the rare earth magnet GasPods staying on the car when going through a car wash.  They have a strong hold once contact is made with the painted surface.  But not so strong that you don't have control over their placement as some might think.

Edited by mtb9153

Susanne I'm not sure I follow what you are suggesting with the red "X"'s?  I think you are saying remove those Pods and place them down lower on the lift gate spoiler?  But only on that one side (Drivers side?)

mtb9153 - the "x" are meant to tell you to remove the GasPods from that location when you place the next row further back. Just in case you misunderstood from the illustration and left 2 rows, when you move onto step 3. Please place all the way across in a curve as shown an inch or two from the trailing edge. Please place GasPods all the way across as shown in our installation instructions - center point, right and left sides, then equidistant in between. 

Okay I just removed the black GasPods and being on the glass, they came off easily.  After use of Goop Off the residual jell adhesive came right off with a final cleaning of Windex.

So I will be moving "ALL" 9 white GasPods to the rear spoiler as Ford calls it on the Liftgate?  Correct?  Starting at the center and spreading across the full width of the spoiler about 1 to 2 inches from the edge?  Correct?

Question:  If someone already knows where to place them on the car, why would someone opt for the magnetic style?

To make them easier to remove once you discover they don't do squat for fuel economy? As a reminder, Ford says fuel economy on the C-Max will continue to improve up to about 3,000 miles, so don't let that be interpreted as a GasPod effect.

Thanks for that comment ArizonaEnergi, nice to know.  I love having these rare-earth magnetic GasPods while we tweak the positioning for the sweet spot.  I moved the black GasPods 4 times and it was a pain to have clean all the residual adhesive off both the Pods and the CMax and then reinstall another application of the 3M gel adhesive which costs me about $5 at Target for a roll each time.  Thank you Susanne for the white set.  With each gas fill up I'm of course recording my numbers to Fuelly.com.  Is that going to give you the data you need for your research?  Or do you need me to supply more info?

Edited by mtb9153

So I will be moving "ALL" 9 white GasPods to the rear spoiler as Ford calls it on the Liftgate?  Correct?  Starting at the center and spreading across the full width of the spoiler about 1 to 2 inches from the edge?  Correct?

Yes. But until you receive the new adhesive hoofs, just leave the white GasPods where they are, as long as you are game for doing a bit of comparison, I'm assuming the spoiler, or lift gate, is not ferrous. 

To make them easier to remove once you discover they don't do squat for fuel economy? As a reminder, Ford says fuel economy on the C-Max will continue to improve up to about 3,000 miles, so don't let that be interpreted as a GasPod effect.

My experience and documentation shows the engine breakin starts around 2,000 and goes way past 3,000. My trips from Mammoth back to Los Angeles document engine breakin to at least 11,000 - 12,000 with improving MPGs at a steady rate (steady temps, traffic and exact same roads). However, I am finding the MPG still goes to 15,000 approx and then the 3.5.1 updates kick in (apparently this does add some salt to the recipe to make it better...so to speak). Not speaking for Matt but he too reported something similar beyond the 12,000 in his 700+ tanks.

I think the fact that us hypermilers run the ICE way less, would indicate a much longer break-in time. However, I know for a fact that between my new car and 12,000 I was going at > 50% freeway (especially my trips from Los Angeles to Mammoth and back) so use of ICE is higher than city. Anyway, its all BETTER news because that 3,000 is not :airquote: jus it...the mpg just gets better like a very fine red wine :drool:

My 2c

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Hey MTB what is ur brake score. I think I have been doing well due to a 95 % brake score. I don't see how u can keep a battery charge without a good brake score. Anyway when I get back from vacation I am going to buy those crazy magnetic units and give suzzane a test since I have been on fully a whole lot for a baseline and want to do this before cooler weather.

better during resale of the vehicle, easier to wax your car with them removed, easier to try different placements to tweak mpgs as it might take a while to figure it all out, you might change your mind down the road , you hate the look of glue  seeping out around the edges, or you find they don't work and don't want them anymore. magnetic is the way to go. imo

With service like this, I may also be in, once you work out the final locations.  Pretty cool!

Question:  If someone already knows where to place them on the car, why would someone opt for the magnetic style?  Is it for removal for going through carwashes?

Well I drove a bit around town today, short trips and a few miles on the freeway.  Set the cruise to 62 with A/C as always and didn't see anything positive happening to make me think there was an improvement so far.  But it didn't have much of a chance since it is was short trips.  I'm about done with my current tank with a little more than 100 miles left before empty.  Checked the trip1 numbers and this tank is about 470miles give or take.  Not too pleased with this tank or the last previous 2 for that matter.  My numbers have been steadily falling.  Right now my AvMPG is 41.5, it was 42+ when I pulled out of the garage this morning

As for my brake scores, all I can say is they aren't consistent.  If I really work at it I can land a 100% here and there.  But the next time I break it will be maybe 95 or 93.  I did have to slam on the brakes to avoid a close call today and got my worst score of 83%.  So I'm like a yoyo going up and down.  I'm afraid I'm not too good at this game of being Fuelly.

mtb9153 - Is your road trip reflective of the best mileage you've had to date?

Let me say that I have had higher mileage numbers but I think they were flukes after resetting my fuel history.  I had been so frustrated with continuous low numbers failing below 40.0AvMPG so I'd reset the fuel history to bring up my numbers up fast and make me feel better.  I did post a screenshot which shows 109.4AvMPG but again that was after resetting my fuel history shortly before shutting the engine off in my garage.  It was a short trip and the computer had not settle down yet. 

But these numbers I reported yesterday and today are honest to goodness numbers reflecting continuous careful driving over longer periods of travel than I've ever done since getting my Max last September.  If this keeps up I will feel my Max has redeemed itself after 10 months of averaged numbers in the upper 30's low 40's.  With the upgrade being done next week, I hope it will only get better? 

I have burned through the first half of my current tank and presently show 340.8 miles traveled on the first half.  This is shaping up to be my best tank of gas.  I've never been able to match miles per gallon between first and second half of a tank.  If this keeps up and this is a big IF!  this could be my first tank over 600miles???? :happy feet: :worship: :drool:

Edited by mtb9153