Suitability for occasional towing

I may be in the market for a new car soon and the Energi sounds about perfect for me, with one potential problem.

I have a trailer that I need to tow on a very occasional basis, maybe once or twice a year. The trailer is about 1,200lbs. It's a bit tricky, because I don't tow it often enough to justify buying a beefy car to tow it, but I can't always predict when I'll need to tow it, so renting a tow car for the day of isn't really practical.

I'm perfectly fine with reduced speeds and efficiency while towing. I don't expect it to be a super-strong tow vehicle, I just need it to work. If fuel economy drops to 10MPG with the trailer, that's OK. I just need it to not catch fire or explode.

Any thoughts on whether this is a good idea or not? Direct experience with similar loads would be, of course, awesome, but I'd love to hear any advice anyone might have.

I've towed a 1,500# trailer with a Honda Element, and a 3,500# one with a Honda Odyssey, but both those vehicles have tow ratings to meet those weights. The C-Max doesn't, and the manual specifies "never tow a trailer with this vehicle".

I don't know the specifics, but the calculations that go into determining the towing capacity must include horsepower, torque, transmission capabilities, cooling system, brake sizes, wheel sizes, frame strength, and vehicle load capacity. It may be this vehicle could have a towing rating, but Ford didn't want to offer that as a feature in a car this small.

That said, a hitch can be added and a light, small trailer could possibly be towed safely and easily for short distances at low speeds. The Europe C-Max (non-hybrids, difference engines and trannys) are rated for towing, but they have a different drivetrain and possibly other strutural differences. Euro models towing capacity: http://www.config.ford.co.uk/fordconnection/multimedia/gbr_en/009/yyh/gbr_en009yyhmodelspc.htm

The big question is do you really want to take a chance with a vehicle not rated to tow that is somewhat, or very, expensive to buy and to fix if something went horribly wrong? It would certainly void the warranty.

If I had a need to tow a light trailer a small distance at street speeds I would probably do it.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

I would go about renting a pickup from UHaul to tow when needed. I know it isn't the most convenient though.

Towing would most likely void any motor, transmission and any other drivetrain issue that would arise since it is not rated. Although you could say the hitch is for a bike carrier only...

Edited by KAL Cmax

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My husband thinks my C-Max will haul his motorcycle on a trailer built for two bikes across two states, I don't think this is advisable....he says it can haul 2500-3500 lbs. Really? Need more info...

That seems a little much to me, maybe a 1,000lbs or so, but I can tell you that you don't need to worry about overheating it. CMAX has plenty of cooling power. :)

Paul

My husband thinks my C-Max will haul his motorcycle on a trailer built for two bikes across two states, I don't think this is advisable....he says it can haul 2500-3500 lbs. Really? Need more info...

I think it could do it but at what harm to the transmission, suspension and breaking system? That said, I think American car makers choose to not assign towing capabilities to many vehicles that could easily tow and they intentionally understate the towing limit for some reason, either liability or they just don't want to reduce their pick-up truck, etc. sales.

I towed an 1,800# trailer with a Honda Element rated at 1,500#, and a 3,500# trailer with an Odyssey rated at 3,500#. I could easily move the 3,500# around my driveway by hand, so the effort in towing is not that great, with air resistance being a big issue, but stopping puts stress on the brakes and the transmission does heat up from the effort (most require supplemental radiators for towing), something the C-Max is not equipped to deal with.

He should rent a pick-up or other vehicle to tow his trailer IMHO.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

Quoting the 2013 C-MAX Owners Guide 3rd printing, page 248:

TOWING A TRAILER

WARNING: Never tow a trailer with this vehicle. Your vehicle is not equipped to tow. No towing packages are available through an authorized dealer.

post-1940-0-25775300-1410745441_thumb.png

Quoting 2014 C-MAX Hybrid Owners Manual version 1, page 182:

TOWING A TRAILER

Never tow a trailer with your vehicle. This powertrain is not designed to tow. 

Quoting the 2013 C-MAX Owners Guide 3rd printing, page 248:

TOWING A TRAILER

WARNING: Never tow a trailer with this vehicle. Your vehicle is not equipped to tow. No towing packages are available through an authorized dealer.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-09-14 at 9.43.10 PM.png

Quoting 2014 C-MAX Hybrid Owners Manual version 1, page 182:

TOWING A TRAILER

Never tow a trailer with your vehicle. This powertrain is not designed to tow. 

That is the safe way to go. :)

Paul

• 1 month later...

I tow a 4 x 6 utility trailer full of firewood about 2x a month.  Recently I towed a Kubota for 20k each way with no issue.  Not sure how heavy that was but I know it was very heavy.  I also have a bike rack that I use weekly.  The only issue is I have not yet found anyone that can hook up a wiring kit to it.  I only can travel in the daylight hours with the trailer.  If anyone has an update on that issue it would be appreciated.

post-2677-0-28133600-1414239126_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've towed a 1,500# trailer with a Honda Element, and a 3,500# one with a Honda Odyssey, but both those vehicles have tow ratings to meet those weights.

LOL, that's an SUV and a van. That doesent even compare to a hybrid car. The CMAX is not rated to tow anything. It would probably be a better idea to buy a cheap ass $500 truck off craigslist and use that for the occasional tow.

Edited by SPL Tech

Here's a guy providing a shipping service using his Prius to tow a small trailer. http://greentechnologytransport.com/ Apparently a lot of people with Prius' are towing light trailers, and some not so light, with them.

I once used an F350 to tow a 50,000 lb semitruck and 77' trailer. Just because it can be done does not mean it wont damage the vehicle. Proof of someone doing something is not proof it is a good idea, or it will work in the long term.

LOL, that's an SUV and a van. That doesent even compare to a hybrid car. The CMAX is not rated to tow anything. It would probably be a better idea to buy a cheap ass $500 truck off craigslist and use that for the occasional tow.

Which is exactly what I said:

"stopping puts stress on the brakes and the transmission does heat up from the effort (most require supplemental radiators for towing), something the C-Max is not equipped to deal with.

He should rent a pick-up or other vehicle to tow his trailer IMHO. "

There are threads in the Forum on hitches, and certainly my local guy had a few listed for C-Max. He had no problem putting in a hitch with harness for me. I use it a few times a year to haul shingles and brush about 10km (6 miles) to the dump at the cottage with a 4 x 4 pup trailer.  With a full load of shingles once this year, the rear sagged a few inches but no other sign of strain.

Saw a "towing number rating" (forget the real name) on a commercial for a "super heavy duty top-towing" pickup - 873.  A regular pick up was 450 something.  When I looked up the value for C-Max, it was 97.  Now, I wouldn't call it a 97-lb weakling, but as OM says it just wasn't designed for any serious towing.  Bicycles and brush are enough for me.

• 2 years later...

Yes thread is incredibly old I know - U-Haul has a lighting kit for like $50 that will add a 4 way flat to a vehicle that has separate turn & brake lights.  Still not sure I'd tow anything with a C-Max - although if you 5 HUGE adults in the car and a full load of luggage, not sure if that's much difference than a 1000 pound trailer. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't tow anything with CMAX, people on here use the CMAX as a TOAD vehicle for RVs. 

If it's only once a year try renting a nice truck from Enterprise Rent a Truck, they have 3/4 ton and 1 ton heavy duty pickups with towing capability.

A guy I know tried to tow an fifth-wheel trailer with a basic truck and simple hitch from U-HAUL.  He seriously damaged both the truck and trailer.  His passenger was driving and the trailer jackknifed coming down a hill. Completely lost control, they are very lucky it was JUST property damage and not more.

Edited by jestevens