Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Suitability for occasional towing

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 428 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:48 AM

LOL, that's an SUV and a van. That doesent even compare to a hybrid car. The CMAX is not rated to tow anything. It would probably be a better idea to buy a cheap ass $500 truck off craigslist and use that for the occasional tow.

Which is exactly what I said:
"stopping puts stress on the brakes and the transmission does heat up from the effort (most require supplemental radiators for towing), something the C-Max is not equipped to deal with.

He should rent a pick-up or other vehicle to tow his trailer IMHO. "

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Tree63

Tree63

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 74 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationCanada
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C Max Hybrid

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:50 PM

There are threads in the Forum on hitches, and certainly my local guy had a few listed for C-Max. He had no problem putting in a hitch with harness for me. I use it a few times a year to haul shingles and brush about 10km (6 miles) to the dump at the cottage with a 4 x 4 pup trailer.  With a full load of shingles once this year, the rear sagged a few inches but no other sign of strain.

Saw a "towing number rating" (forget the real name) on a commercial for a "super heavy duty top-towing" pickup - 873.  A regular pick up was 450 something.  When I looked up the value for C-Max, it was 97.  Now, I wouldn't call it a 97-lb weakling, but as OM says it just wasn't designed for any serious towing.  Bicycles and brush are enough for me.

#23 OFFLINE   p38fln

p38fln

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationWisconsin
  • My C-MAX's Year:2017
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:31 PM

Yes thread is incredibly old I know - U-Haul has a lighting kit for like $50 that will add a 4 way flat to a vehicle that has separate turn & brake lights.  Still not sure I'd tow anything with a C-Max - although if you 5 HUGE adults in the car and a full load of luggage, not sure if that's much difference than a 1000 pound trailer. 

#24 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 120 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:06 PM

It's not really.
I'm planning to get a small hitch and 300lb trailer to pull 700lbs and not be concerned

#25 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 175 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:04 PM

I wouldn't tow anything with CMAX, people on here use the CMAX as a TOAD vehicle for RVs. 

If it's only once a year try renting a nice truck from Enterprise Rent a Truck, they have 3/4 ton and 1 ton heavy duty pickups with towing capability.

A guy I know tried to tow an fifth-wheel trailer with a basic truck and simple hitch from U-HAUL.  He seriously damaged both the truck and trailer.  His passenger was driving and the trailer jackknifed coming down a hill. Completely lost control, they are very lucky it was JUST property damage and not more.

Edited by jestevens, 24 July 2017 - 04:05 PM.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·