Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Suitability for occasional towing

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 430 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:48 AM

LOL, that's an SUV and a van. That doesent even compare to a hybrid car. The CMAX is not rated to tow anything. It would probably be a better idea to buy a cheap ass $500 truck off craigslist and use that for the occasional tow.

Which is exactly what I said:
"stopping puts stress on the brakes and the transmission does heat up from the effort (most require supplemental radiators for towing), something the C-Max is not equipped to deal with.

He should rent a pick-up or other vehicle to tow his trailer IMHO. "

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Tree63

Tree63

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 74 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationCanada
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C Max Hybrid

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:50 PM

There are threads in the Forum on hitches, and certainly my local guy had a few listed for C-Max. He had no problem putting in a hitch with harness for me. I use it a few times a year to haul shingles and brush about 10km (6 miles) to the dump at the cottage with a 4 x 4 pup trailer.  With a full load of shingles once this year, the rear sagged a few inches but no other sign of strain.

Saw a "towing number rating" (forget the real name) on a commercial for a "super heavy duty top-towing" pickup - 873.  A regular pick up was 450 something.  When I looked up the value for C-Max, it was 97.  Now, I wouldn't call it a 97-lb weakling, but as OM says it just wasn't designed for any serious towing.  Bicycles and brush are enough for me.

#23 OFFLINE   p38fln

p38fln

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationWisconsin
  • My C-MAX's Year:2017
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:31 PM

Yes thread is incredibly old I know - U-Haul has a lighting kit for like $50 that will add a 4 way flat to a vehicle that has separate turn & brake lights.  Still not sure I'd tow anything with a C-Max - although if you 5 HUGE adults in the car and a full load of luggage, not sure if that's much difference than a 1000 pound trailer. 

#24 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 134 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:06 PM

It's not really.
I'm planning to get a small hitch and 300lb trailer to pull 700lbs and not be concerned

#25 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 180 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:04 PM

I wouldn't tow anything with CMAX, people on here use the CMAX as a TOAD vehicle for RVs. 

If it's only once a year try renting a nice truck from Enterprise Rent a Truck, they have 3/4 ton and 1 ton heavy duty pickups with towing capability.

A guy I know tried to tow an fifth-wheel trailer with a basic truck and simple hitch from U-HAUL.  He seriously damaged both the truck and trailer.  His passenger was driving and the trailer jackknifed coming down a hill. Completely lost control, they are very lucky it was JUST property damage and not more.

Edited by jestevens, 24 July 2017 - 04:05 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   prodigi1

prodigi1

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationColorado
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max SEL

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:15 AM

I just wanted to give my personal experience towing with my C-Max since I tow with it monthly. I regularly tow a 400lb trailer with a 750 payload every month or two for about 27 miles empty and 21 miles loaded. I'm up to 84,000 miles without so much as a hiccup. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do and I'm very easy on the drive, but I would imagine if you needed to do something in a pinch, it probably wouldn't give you much grief. The only thing I've noticed after the tow is that the programming (switching between electric, gas and combo) needs to readjust again. Just my two cents.
  • ptjones likes this

#27 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 20 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max E

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:56 AM

To be fair this was a big topic when it came to the old Escape hybrids and it seemed to boil down to Ford being very conservative for the US market when it comes to towing capacity. The vehicle could easily handle small <1000lb loads with ease as far as pulling but the main concern was control and braking especially on hills. Engine braking sans regen has a lot less 'stopping' power compared to traditional ICE vehicles and you don't want to be riding friction brakes on a long downhill.

#28 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 134 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:34 AM

I’ve recently loaded my car with a fair amount of weight and drove on a 4 hour drive through the mountains, still got 40.5mpg and It did fine.
Trans temps were ‘normal’ and I could only notice braking there was more weight. Basically had to use friction all the time unless I had very long distance and the SOC always got to 60% or higher.
  • ptjones and obob like this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·