Suitability for occasional towing

I just wanted to give my personal experience towing with my C-Max since I tow with it monthly. I regularly tow a 400lb trailer with a 750 payload every month or two for about 27 miles empty and 21 miles loaded. I'm up to 84,000 miles without so much as a hiccup. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do and I'm very easy on the drive, but I would imagine if you needed to do something in a pinch, it probably wouldn't give you much grief. The only thing I've noticed after the tow is that the programming (switching between electric, gas and combo) needs to readjust again. Just my two cents.

To be fair this was a big topic when it came to the old Escape hybrids and it seemed to boil down to Ford being very conservative for the US market when it comes to towing capacity. The vehicle could easily handle small <1000lb loads with ease as far as pulling but the main concern was control and braking especially on hills. Engine braking sans regen has a lot less 'stopping' power compared to traditional ICE vehicles and you don't want to be riding friction brakes on a long downhill.

I’ve recently loaded my car with a fair amount of weight and drove on a 4 hour drive through the mountains, still got 40.5mpg and It did fine.

Trans temps were ‘normal’ and I could only notice braking there was more weight. Basically had to use friction all the time unless I had very long distance and the SOC always got to 60% or higher.

• 9 months later...

I spoke to my friend who is an engineer at Ford for 35 years on this topic, he told me concerning the fact that the C-Max has no tow rating my be due to 'Ford might prefer you to consider your towing with a more profitable vehicle.' From my study of the HF35 transmission and it's roots in the 2nd Gen Prius Hybrid Drive, I feel it would be very safe to tow around 1,000 lbs, possibly up to 1,500 lbs if you install brakes on the trailer with a C-Max Hybrid. The HF35 is breakthrough technology and it will be the basis for most every Hybrid Ford (to include the F150) in the future. And beyond I could even foresee that this Hybrid Drive will be the future of transmissions in general.

I'll be towing about 1,200lbs on a trailer with brakes shortly, I will report my results.

• 11 months later...