Getting the best possible MPG

Getting the highest mpg is easier than you think if you follow these simple rules.

1. Always look ahead. If a light turns red down the road start braking GENTLEY now.

This is how you get the best regen which charges the battery, and helps a lot with mpg.

2. Accelerate slowly, this way you will be able to stay in EV mode as long as possible.

Also always keep to the speed limit.

3. I find that the engage screen on the C-max is the most informative. Watch the screen to see when you are engaging the engine. Once you learn what you do that turns the engine on, you can help stop it, or at least prevent it from happening as much.

4. I know all of these steps are pretty basic, but once you learn to master all of these steps, you will get great mpg. Please message me with any other questions.

post-836-0-55976200-1372697858_thumb.jpg

I'm sure you said this somewhere before, but I'll ask anyway.  What kW do you accelerate at?  I try to keep it right at the two bar mark so I don't PO anyone behind me.  Thanks

Nice and informative, thanks Seth7721 :)

Takeaway is that, you should not be in a hurry in a hybrid, if you want to maximize the MPG.

I'm sure you said this somewhere before, but I'll ask anyway.  What kW do you accelerate at?  I try to keep it right at the two bar mark so I don't PO anyone behind me.  Thanks

Edsel, 2 bar or JUS below the point where the regen stops. I rarely use 1 bar acceleration, that POs the cars behind me and I drive in peak traffic (I am already late this morning). If my SOC is high, I use what I call Burst P&G (read my review below, I make a note of it) where I go as high as 2.5 to 3 bars for SHORT burst (regen is in the glide phase here).

As you can see I am different but we all hypermilers have different ways - theres no right or wrong, jus what works for you and your right foot.

Gotta run...

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

• 2 months later...

One thing that makes a huge difference for me is including the Empower gauge on your left screen. That one includes what Ford calls the Threshold reading. It is a blue box around the power output that shows how hard you can step on the accelerator until the gasoline engine engages. It is dynamic, reflecting the state of battery charge. If you use that and try to keep your eyes off the rear view mirror, you can log fuel economy in the 70's for short periods. Once the battery runs down the threshold decreases and the gas engine engages, to power the car and recharge the battery. The other thing I do is engage the cruise control, even in street traffic. That eliminates even minute changes in velocity. Maybe this is why my wife and kids won't ride with me.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Burst and Glide is what I'm using. I got 60 mpg in a 5 mile trip last night, but only 41 on the way back. The engine was cooler on the way back, and the battery was only half charged at that point. I'm trying to learn the sweet spot in the regen where I'm getting the most regen and decel so I don't end up gliding to a stop to the point where I have to use the friction brakes to stop in time. 

The wifey drives the car more than I do. Most of her trips are less than 5 miles. An Energi would've been a better EV choice for her. Maybe if my investments pay off this year, I'll get her one of those. She doesn't use the storage space in the back often anyway. It would also make her happier to have a vehicle that's already warmed or cooled depending on weather. I could live off the heated seats myself. I used to own a Bug, so I can live without creature comforts (except stereos). 

• 1 month later...

After two weeks, I'm rapidly learning there are two modes in city driving when you are accelerating from a stop:  one where there are cars directy behind you--you have to engage the gas motor or people tailgate you or angrily pass with a "are you on drugs?" look as they go by.

Or if there are no cars behind me I accelerate as gently as possible to avoid engaging the gas.   Fortunately most of the inner city speed limits are 50 kmh (30 mph) in my neck of the woods.

Getting 50 mpg regularly with only 150 miles on the odometer.  I'm highly skeptical of pulse/glide techniques but willing to try them as I get more familiar with the car.

Adrian
Counselling
Langara College

After two weeks, I'm rapidly learning there are two modes in city driving when you are accelerating from a stop:  one where there are cars directy behind you--you have to engage the gas motor or people tailgate you or angrily pass with a "are you on drugs?" look as they go by.

Or if there are no cars behind me I accelerate as gently as possible to avoid engaging the gas.   Fortunately most of the inner city speed limits are 50 kmh (30 mph) in my neck of the woods.

Getting 50 mpg regularly with only 150 miles on the odometer.  I'm highly skeptical of pulse/glide techniques but willing to try them as I get more familiar with the car.

Adrian

Counselling

Langara College

P&G is your friend. EV up to about 13 MPH, then P&G.  This works even with cars behind.

Slow ICE is for battery charging.  Use both techniques depending on conditions and SOC.

Or if there are no cars behind me I accelerate as gently as possible to avoid engaging the gas....

You may not realize it, but you're doing a little pulse & glide in the first case.

It's a fact of hybrid life that you have to run the engine sometime to charge the battery (unless it's an Energi). The idea is to combine infrequent engine use with very efficient engine use - high load at low RPM - so you get the most energy per gram of fuel. Load comes from acceleration and hills; the ideal is a throttle setting that maintains battery charging (^ symbol above battery icon) while accelerating and climbing a hill. You effectively "ride" the terrain, gas uphill, EV down until you're out of battery and speed.

That's the essence of P&G. The car does most of the hard work, you pick the times to use the engine (pulse) or use EV and "glide." Just keep an eye on that little ^ symbol when pulsing...

And, as you already know, ignore all this as traffic and road conditions require. Always keep the shiny side up!

Have fun,

Frank

Adrian L. Welcome to the C-Max & C-Max Forum !!

I too do not like to think of having to use 'techniques' for driving our C-Max.  For the most part, we just drive 'normal'; but we do also attempt to do what I describe as driving 'carefully', braking slowly, and taking the conditions & route into consideration.  If we have a low battery, and two routes to our goal, we might opt for an elevation gain first, and more downhill later or vice versa.  Frank & Scuba are right, optimizing your gas use & charging the hybrid battery under ideal loads is fundamental.  Another way of looking at it is to try not to use gas when you have nice downgrades - those are 'free' miles.  Coasting is cool, efficient and fun.

Enjoy,

Nick

(You need to 'meet' Laurel, one of your 'neighbors' in the lower BC area)

Edited by C-MaxSea

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the tips, guys.   I have now learned that accelerating as slowly as possible, trying not to engage the ICE is actually not ideal--it seems better to accelerate moderately (engaging the ICU) and then back off the throttle after reaching cruising speed.  I suspect this is because the (heavy) car needs plenty of energy to get it going, and what I was doing before was simply draining the battery sooner.

Thanks for the tips, guys.   I have now learned that accelerating as slowly as possible, trying not to engage the ICE is actually not ideal--it seems better to accelerate moderately (engaging the ICU) and then back off the throttle after reaching cruising speed.  I suspect this is because the (heavy) car needs plenty of energy to get it going, and what I was doing before was simply draining the battery sooner.

You should check out this thread.  I EV up to 13-18 MPH, followed by a brief 2 Bar burn (to get you rolling at a good acceleration rate) and then I quickly back down to @1.75, then finish off at 2,000 RPM/@1.2 Bar to speed (or just above). So, it is not like I lock onto one acceleration rate; it varies but is smooth and keeps up with traffic pretty nicely. Oh, and it gives pretty good numbers, too. :)

Getting the highest mpg is easier than you think if you follow these simple rules.

1. Always look ahead. If a light turns red down the road start braking GENTLEY now.

This is how you get the best regen which charges the battery, and helps a lot with mpg.

2. Accelerate slowly, this way you will be able to stay in EV mode as long as possible.

Also always keep to the speed limit.

3. I find that the engage screen on the C-max is the most informative. Watch the screen to see when you are engaging the engine. Once you learn what you do that turns the engine on, you can help stop it, or at least prevent it from happening as much.

4. I know all of these steps are pretty basic, but once you learn to master all of these steps, you will get great mpg. Please message me with any other questions.

If you know how long the light is, and nobody is pulling in front of you, by braking a little harder earlier, you can often maintain speed so that you don't have to accelerate as much - which is much more efficient than regen and electrical acceleration. 

I like to stay in Empower most of the time, and switch to Engage if I'm doing any heavy acceleration. I dearly wish you could show the engine power threshold on the Engage display. 

(Looks like others have commented on #2 already)

Edited by Noah Harbinger

Scuba this wont make any sense to him unless he knows what the 2 bars are and if he hasnt setup his system to use the EMPOWER screen instead of the other less important screens on the left side of the dash.

if he reads Jus-a-Cmax's review thread he will hopefully understand

dont forget most folks that are new dont know all the stuff that is 2nd nature to the longtimers here :)

everyone was a newbie at one point

im not even an owner yet but have been here reading for over a year to learn as much as I can to help me and my wife when we DO get our CMax

You should check out this thread.  I EV up to 13-18 MPH, followed by a brief 2 Bar burn (to get you rolling at a good acceleration rate) and then I quickly back down to @1.75, then finish off at 2,000 RPM/@1.2 Bar to speed (or just above). So, it is not like I lock onto one acceleration rate; it varies but is smooth and keeps up with traffic pretty nicely. Oh, and it gives pretty good numbers, too. :)

I'm not even an owner yet but have been here reading for over a year to learn as much as I can to help me and my wife when we DO get our CMax

When are you guys getting one? You're missing out on all of the fun. With all of your research, are you leaning towards the hybrid, or Energi?

Isn't the Priiius that one with the 'drive by committee'/drive by consensus' dash board which requires multiple passengers in order to make decisions - show of hands for acceleration, braking, where to go, what to do, how to think???

.............. and then those Zombie commercials for them, where the buyers are like candy store clients picking bubble gum......

Sorry, lost my head there; the Priiiiius is a great car - but pales compared to the C-Max !!!  (or is that C-Lemon ?  ;))

nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Isn't the Priiius that one with the 'drive by committee'/drive by consensus' dash board which requires multiple passengers in order to make decisions - show of hands for acceleration, braking, where to go, what to do, how to think???

.............. and then those Zombie commercials for them, where the buyers are like candy store clients picking bubble gum......

Sorry, lost my head there; the Priiiiius is a great car - but pales compared to the C-Max !!!  (or is that C-Lemon ?  ;))

nick

:lol2:  :lol:  I nominate the above post as "Post of the Month"

Lemonade anyone :headspin:

Never had the energi on the list as the big hump for the battery in the back is a deal breaker. No way my wife can give up that much cargo space coming from her Toyota 4Runner.

It's the hybrid all the way since her commute to work is about 25 miles over 3 freeways and sometimes traffic and mine is 14 one way so we drive a moderate distance. The nrgi is better for short around town commutes <5 miles or so; a diesel for a long hauler so the hybrid fits best right in between where we do both city and highway driving.I do more city as sometimes I take the streets all the way to work and if I take the freeway I still have 4 miles on the street just to get to the freeway on ramp. She is forced to drive mainly freeway. so I will get to play and see how much EV I can get out of the CMax on my commute in the city portion.

Yes I've learned a lot here in the forums but it will be her car and so I will only get to drive it when we swap vehicles every week or so (at least that is my plan to get to play with it for a whole week so I can report back here with my results). 

I am helping to pay for some of the down payment so that will let me get a "ticket to drive" . We'll see.

Since her SUV is now 15 yrs old she won't be wanting to let the CMax out of her hands to much once she falls in love with all the cool stuff it has. Her CD skips in her suv and the a/c has a loose solder joint on the panel causing it to be intermittent and not always work or not be able to be controlled how you want it to be, thus wasting more gas/ mpgs over its already bad mpg rating. She doesn't have heated seats in her suv sms she loves mine in my Passat so she will be driving the CMax around a lot I believe.

Just wish they would fix the darn battery issue so we could sleep sound knowing she won't get stranded one day.

When are you guys getting one? You're missing out on all of the fun. With all of your research, are you leaning towards the hybrid, or Energi?

Haha don't get me started on the Pri-crap-mobile

Hate the look of it sooo outdated now. Those ugly shiny surrounds on the rear lights that Nissan is so famous for doing. Ugh puke gag.

Joke interior that is like a tin can. No sound deadning. Creak. Squeak

'nuff said

:stirpot: My deep underground sources tell me Salsaguy is leaning towards a Prii, a Lemon colored one. :twister: