Ford C Max taxi fleet

AZTAXI

Hello all!

My name is Brandon. We have about 40,000 miles on our first C max and have 10 more on the way. I wanted to say hello and I look forward to spending time here learning and exchanging information with all of you. I own and operate a taxi business and also manage a 7500 sq ft shop where we repair over 200 taxis. We never went with the Prius because we don't believe in sending our hard earned money to Japan. USA cars means USA jobs and the C max fits us perfect.

WOW!! How cool is that?!?! Welcome Brandon, we're so happy to have you join the forum. You will definitely provide a different perspective on C-MAX ownership.

Please enjoy reading, and ask any questions you can't find answers to

And here's a question for you.......how have the first 40,000 miles been? You're way ahead of anyone else on the forum, I think.

You've made a great decision!

The first 40k have been a breeze. The driver in the car will go 6k-8k miles a month so we will rack the miles up quickly. All we've done is changed the oil and 1 air filter. The customers have been very happy with all the room and how easy it is to get in and out with that tall rear door.

Edited by AZTAXI

Hello all!

My name is Brandon. We have about 40,000 miles on our first C max and have 10 more on the way. I wanted to say hello and I look forward to spending time here learning and exchanging information with all of you. I own and operate a taxi business and also manage a 7500 sq ft shop where we repair over 200 taxis. We never went with the Prius because we don't believe in sending our hard earned money to Japan. USA cars means USA jobs and the C max fits us perfect.

So what kind of mileage do you get on the C-Max, and for comparison, what kind of mileage do you get on other cars ?  Is it suburban/city/highway driving ?  How are the tires holding out ?  Thanks.

Edited by obob

We are averaging about 40mpg driving it like a cab on the highway and the city. A Crown Vic will get anywhere from 15-23mpg depending on how it's driven. The tires have been holding up fine.

Welcome to the forum, so who pays for gas in a taxi business the driver or the business?

I just rode in a cmax cab in Chicago and had an interesting chat about the car. The driver really liked it, most of all for the economical operation! I was able to give him a bunch of hints about using mft and his settings that he hadn't yet discovered. I look forward to your observations about operating a fleet of these.

welcome to the forum.and you already answered my first question i was going to ask you (about the customers enjoyment of the larger rear leg room and seats).

Has any of them asked what kind of car it was and that they would love to buy or test drive one for themselves?

The first 40k have been a breeze. The driver in the car will go 6k-8k miles a month so we will rack the miles up quickly. All we've done is changed the oil and 1 air filter. The customers have been very happy with all the room and how easy it is to get in and out with that tall rear door.

do you guys train train your drivers in hybrid driving methods to improve mpgs or just let them drive it normal.

how do you track each of the drivers mileage? computer installed in car or they just turn in receipts with fill up info?

We are averaging about 40mpg driving it like a cab on the highway and the city. A Crown Vic will get anywhere from 15-23mpg depending on how it's driven. The tires have been holding up fine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If the battery is toast, you pretty much can't open the lift gate. However, you can open the hood, and there's jump connections in the engine bay. Also, the 12v accessory power plug in the cargo area doesn't shut off, so if you fold the seats down, you can reach back and plug in a jumper battery. Once you have any external juice at all, the computer can boot and the high voltage relays can be closed, and you will have full power off the big battery as needed.

If the battery is toast, you pretty much can't open the lift gate. 

The Prius has a backup mechanical release on the hatch.  Since engineering teams deconstruct and study the competition, I can't believe this oversight.  Maybe they just deemed it not important enough to include.  

Edited by fotomoto

If the battery is toast, you pretty much can't open the lift gate. However, you can open the hood, and there's jump connections in the engine bay. Also, the 12v accessory power plug in the cargo area doesn't shut off, so if you fold the seats down, you can reach back and plug in a jumper battery. Once you have any external juice at all, the computer can boot and the high voltage relays can be closed, and you will have full power off the big battery as needed.

The Prius has a backup mechanical release on the hatch.  Since engineering teams deconstruct and study the competition, I can't believe this oversight.  Maybe they just deemed it not important enough to include.  

Ford didn't ignore it, they used a different solution, granted one that requires more than a strong hand, but it is a solution... kind of like the "spare tire" solution.

HAve fun,

Frank

Edited by fbov

Ford didn't ignore it, they used a different solution, granted one that requires more than a strong hand, but it is a solution... kind of like the "spare tire" solution.

Well even accessing the front terminals can be problematic when parked head-in and not having long enough jumper cables to reach.   They put in a manual release for the transmission so why not the hatch?   :headscratch:

Apologies for the mini-thread jack.  

• 5 months later...

Hello all!

How's the C-Max taxi fleet going? Any more issues like the one with a failed tranny at 52k miles?