SSM 32308 - 2012-2013 C-Max/Focus/Fusion/MKZ Hybrid - Plug In Hybrid - Battery Electric Vehicles - A/C Compressor Noise - Low Refrigerant Charge

SSM 32308 - 2012-2013 C-Max/Focus/Fusion/MKZ Hybrid - Plug In Hybrid - Battery Electric Vehicles - A/C Compressor Noise - Low Refrigerant Charge
Some 2012-2013 C-Max/Focus/Fusion/MKZ Hybrid/Plug In Hybrid and Battery Electric vehicles may exhibit excessive noise from the electric A/C compressor. A/C compressor noise in these vehicles may occur due to an incorrect refrigerant level or restriction in the system. Prior to following normal diagnostics for A/C compressor noise, check for refrigerant leaks and line restrictions. Repair as required per Workshop Manual, Section 412-00 then evaluate the system for noise. Typically, no additional service will be required after performing these repairs.  

I have this noise. Dealer agreed and even replaced the compressor and assured themselves afterward that the refrigerant and "oil" levels in the a/c were properly filled. (Levels were low, with an evident leak, prior to their work...per their diagnostics) STILL have this noise...made no difference, not even initially!!!

• 1 month later...

It seems that I only have the loud noise when I turn the temp to "Lo" to help cool down the car quickly when first starting up the road.  If I adjust the temp up towards 70 and up, turn it off and then back on..the noise goes away.

I will have them check it next time I go in.

I dropped by my dealership and showed them this SSM and they agreed it was worth a look. Brought It in the next day and they were able to troubleshoot it per the specified section of the manual. The compressor was ridiculously loud that day and they found a small black valve that was cracked and leaking. Unfortunately they've had to order the part and I'm driving around with the cracked one til they call. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I tend to agree...unless we owners make some more noise. On my C-Max, they even replaced the compressor, and thoroughly checked for leaks, several months ago. (Detroit jumped on the dealer for replacing the compressor) Made no difference whatsoever... I guess all I can say is I'd like a tighter turning radius and a more quiet (no BUZZ) a/c compressor. Neither one likely to happen!!!

• 8 months later...

Hi everybody.  This is now kind of an old thread, but hoping that there might be some interest in re-kindling this discussion.

I have a new-to-me 2013 C-Max SEL. Love the car.  We got it Ford Certified and it had 14,400 miles on it. We now have 20,000 miles on it and I've been struggling with this sound as well.  I'm hearing 2 different things:

1) a buzzing sound when I get in the car (accessory mode starts up) before I turn on the ignition - I'm thinking this is the grill shutters moving?

2) a loud buzzing sound that starts when I turn on the ignition - very loud when the AC is turned on.  If I turn the AC off, the sound goes away.

I've brought my car to the dealer twice - the first time they claimed that they couldn't reproduce the sound (though I'm fairly sure they didn't try since they were pressed for time and had other things to resolve).  The second time - they say that this is "normal" for a C-Max but they are going to order a new compressor shroud to try to dampen the sound.  I have an appointment for Thursday for them to replace the shroud.  I am not hopeful that it will help...

Has anyone successfully identified the source of these sounds?  Do all C-Maxes have these sounds?  Has anyone actually made the sounds go away??

Here are 'normal' sound recordings of my 2013 C-MAX SE, purchased new about 7 weeks ago. Hope they help you!

I recorded them (with my Canon point-and-shoot camera in 1080p HD video/stereo and then ripped the sounds to 96kbps mp3) in my closed garage, to avoid the noises you'd hear from my neighborhood at this time of day - lawnmowers, traffic, and so on. Because the garage was closed, the noises seem much louder than if you heard these same noises outdoors in a parking lot.

This is the sound of unlocking the car and the vacuum pump running briefly, recorded from outside the front of the car in my closed garage. Sometimes the vacuum pump runs longer. I think if you've just driven the car in the last few hours, you might not hear the vacuum pump at all, which would explain why the dealer could not find that sound.

C-MAX unlock and Vacuum pump sound.mp3

This is the sound of the electric AC compressor running, recorded in my closed garage while standing outside the car.

C-MAX electric AC compressor from outside car.mp3

This is the sound of the ventilation fan on at low speed and AC compressor recorded from inside the car with the car windows open (to be certain you can tell when the compressor is 'off' and 'on') in my closed garage. The AC compressor is running at the start, then switched off (fan still running), then back on.

C-MAX electric AC compressor and fan from inside car on-off-on.mp3

EDIT: Here's a link to a Ford interactive image showing the location of many of the energy-saving devices on the 2013 C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid model. It might help you pinpoint the location and source of the sounds you hear. http://corporate.ford.com/microsites/sustainability-report-2012-13/environment-products-electrification-phev

Edited by kostby

Hi everybody.  This is now kind of an old thread, but hoping that there might be some interest in re-kindling this discussion.

I have a new-to-me 2013 C-Max SEL. Love the car.  We got it Ford Certified and it had 14,400 miles on it. We now have 20,000 miles on it and I've been struggling with this sound as well.  I'm hearing 2 different things ...

Has anyone successfully identified the source of these sounds?  Do all C-Maxes have these sounds?  Has anyone actually made the sounds go away??

jennifermehl,

Let me lend a hand with this. Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, and dealer info. I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

I have a new-to-me 2013 C-Max SEL. Love the car.  We got it Ford Certified and it had 14,400 miles on it. We now have 20,000 miles on it and I've been struggling with this sound as well.  I'm hearing 2 different things:

1) a buzzing sound when I get in the car (accessory mode starts up) before I turn on the ignition - I'm thinking this is the grill shutters moving?

2) a loud buzzing sound that starts when I turn on the ignition - very loud when the AC is turned on.  If I turn the AC off, the sound goes away.

I've brought my car to the dealer twice - the first time they claimed that they couldn't reproduce the sound (though I'm fairly sure they didn't try since they were pressed for time and had other things to resolve).  The second time - they say that this is "normal" for a C-Max but they are going to order a new compressor shroud to try to dampen the sound.  I have an appointment for Thursday for them to replace the shroud.  I am not hopeful that it will help...

I'd say 1) is the grille shutters.  It's easy to check.  Just look into the grille while someone gets in and starts the car.  You will see them moving when you hear the noise.

2) Yes, the a/c compressor is loud especially when it first starts up and you have the door open. But, what level of loudness is normal on startup?  Inside,  the car it's barely perceptible to me with the fan on. My buzzing sound does decrease in intensity after initial startup likely as the load on the compressor decreases and will stop if one turns the climate control off.  The question is when is the buzzing noise deemed "excessive" - whatever that means in the TSB.  I would say that if the loud buzzing noise continues (doesn't decrease) for a several minutes after initially starting the car, that might be excessive and the system is low on refrigerant or there's a restriction.  If low on refrigerant, the compressor has to continue to operate at a higher level to cool / keep the car cool than if the system had  the correct charge of refrigerant.  The dealer certainly can check for refrigerant leaks, evacuate the system, and recharge with the correct charge by weight.  

• 2 years later...

Yes, the a/c compressor is loud especially when it first starts up and you have the door open. But, what level of loudness is normal on startup?  Inside,  the car it's barely perceptible to me with the fan on. My buzzing sound does decrease in intensity after initial startup likely as the load on the compressor decreases and will stop if one turns the climate control off.  The question is when is the buzzing noise deemed "excessive" - whatever that means in the TSB.  I would say that if the loud buzzing noise continues (doesn't decrease) for a several minutes after initially starting the car, that might be excessive and the system is low on refrigerant or there's a restriction.  If low on refrigerant, the compressor has to continue to operate at a higher level to cool / keep the car cool than if the system had  the correct charge of refrigerant.  The dealer certainly can check for refrigerant leaks, evacuate the system, and recharge with the correct charge by weight.  

Reviving this thread due to my recent issues and to add my own experience.

My 2013 Hybrid just started making this same whirring-almost-thumping noise behind the right front bumper whenever the A/C was turned on just a couple months ago, and it's only when the A/C is turned on.

Prior to this recent noise the A/C was absolutely silent. Noise is audible from outside the car quite a few feet away, and from inside the car with windows down, and can still hear just a bit with windows up. It continues to make this noise for at least a couple to a few minutes before it goes silent. A/C operation is unaffected whether it makes the noise or not. Am having the dealership check it out while it's in getting a grinding transmission noise looked into.

My wife's own 2014 C-Max Hybrid is also absolutely silent from a few feet away and from inside the car, even with window down, so having any type of noise like what kostby kindly recorded for us above is not normal at all (BTW, mine sounds exactly like that). I've never heard an A/C compressor, or whatever that noise is, be that loud on any other vehicle. And that includes my wife's identical (except for exterior color) C-Max.

Edited by RobMax