Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

SSM 32308 - 2012-2013 C-Max/Focus/Fusion/MKZ Hybrid - Plug In Hybrid - Battery Electric Vehicles - A/C Compressor Noise - Low Refrigerant Charge

SSM 32308 A/C Compressor

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 635 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationConnecticut
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:22 AM

SSM 32308 - 2012-2013 C-Max/Focus/Fusion/MKZ Hybrid - Plug In Hybrid - Battery Electric Vehicles - A/C Compressor Noise - Low Refrigerant Charge
Some 2012-2013 C-Max/Focus/Fusion/MKZ Hybrid/Plug In Hybrid and Battery Electric vehicles may exhibit excessive noise from the electric A/C compressor. A/C compressor noise in these vehicles may occur due to an incorrect refrigerant level or restriction in the system. Prior to following normal diagnostics for A/C compressor noise, check for refrigerant leaks and line restrictions. Repair as required per Workshop Manual, Section 412-00 then evaluate the system for noise. Typically, no additional service will be required after performing these repairs.  

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   salsaguy

salsaguy

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,371 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationWhittier, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2012 VW Passat 2.5L SEL Premium

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:43 AM

i knew that wasnt normal. glad the person here that had this issue will have a remedy for their noisy a/c that was waking  up the dead and causing much embarrassment while driving near friends and neighbors.

Edited by salsaguy, 26 May 2014 - 09:46 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Noah Harbinger

Noah Harbinger

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMetro San Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:11 AM

I'll definitely have to bring this up sometime - not sure if I want to wait 10,000 miles for the first oil change, though: By then, the weather will be cooler and I won't be using the AC anyway!

#4 OFFLINE   TxTom

TxTom

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 52 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationValleyRanch, TX
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL w/303A

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:55 AM

I have this noise. Dealer agreed and even replaced the compressor and assured themselves afterward that the refrigerant and "oil" levels in the a/c were properly filled. (Levels were low, with an evident leak, prior to their work...per their diagnostics) STILL have this noise...made no difference, not even initially!!!

#5 OFFLINE   shadoegrounds

shadoegrounds

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 15 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationEastern Tennessee
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max SE

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

I have this noise. I had asked them to check it when they did my updates and headliner. They apparently did not, and I was so happy to have the car back I forgot all about it. Until the next time I heard it. Is this also why the ac just doesn't seem as cold as it could be?

#6 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 635 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

I posted this link elsewhere.  It's useful in that it demonstrates the sound of these new-fangled scroll compressors: 

#7 OFFLINE   JohnnOhio

JohnnOhio

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 490 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:C Max SEL and GMC Canyon and 1956 Ford 860 tractor

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:04 AM

I just had my headliner fixed and reflashed the CPU on Friday. I had the loud compressor noise also checked. They said I had low refrigerant charge and they topped it off.

#8 OFFLINE   locot

locot

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 24 posts
  • Locationdallas
  • Current Vehicle:c max se

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

Did it reduce or eliminate the noise after they topped it off??

#9 OFFLINE   GSMacLean

GSMacLean

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCleveland
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

My compressor is fairly loud - but I don't know if that's just the nature of the beast, or if it actually has this problem. I could measure it with a sound pressure meter - does anyone else have a sound meter, and could measure theirs to make a comparison?

#10 OFFLINE   LizM

LizM

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 148 posts
  • LocationSW Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL 300A

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:49 AM

It seems that I only have the loud noise when I turn the temp to "Lo" to help cool down the car quickly when first starting up the road.  If I adjust the temp up towards 70 and up, turn it off and then back on..the noise goes away.

I will have them check it next time I go in.

#11 OFFLINE   shadoegrounds

shadoegrounds

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 15 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationEastern Tennessee
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max SE

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

I dropped by my dealership and showed them this SSM and they agreed it was worth a look. Brought It in the next day and they were able to troubleshoot it per the specified section of the manual. The compressor was ridiculously loud that day and they found a small black valve that was cracked and leaking. Unfortunately they've had to order the part and I'm driving around with the cracked one til they call. :(

#12 OFFLINE   Skitime

Skitime

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 24 posts
  • LocationHot Springs Village
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax SEL

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

Just had all the recall stuff done, had them check the compressor, added some refrigerant to it, but it still sounds like a small chain saw. Doesn't sound like there is a cure for this.....

#13 OFFLINE   TxTom

TxTom

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationValleyRanch, TX
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL w/303A

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

I tend to agree...unless we owners make some more noise. On my C-Max, they even replaced the compressor, and thoroughly checked for leaks, several months ago. (Detroit jumped on the dealer for replacing the compressor) Made no difference whatsoever... I guess all I can say is I'd like a tighter turning radius and a more quiet (no BUZZ) a/c compressor. Neither one likely to happen!!!

#14 OFFLINE   jennifermehl

jennifermehl

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hi everybody.  This is now kind of an old thread, but hoping that there might be some interest in re-kindling this discussion.

I have a new-to-me 2013 C-Max SEL. Love the car.  We got it Ford Certified and it had 14,400 miles on it. We now have 20,000 miles on it and I've been struggling with this sound as well.  I'm hearing 2 different things:

1) a buzzing sound when I get in the car (accessory mode starts up) before I turn on the ignition - I'm thinking this is the grill shutters moving?

2) a loud buzzing sound that starts when I turn on the ignition - very loud when the AC is turned on.  If I turn the AC off, the sound goes away.

I've brought my car to the dealer twice - the first time they claimed that they couldn't reproduce the sound (though I'm fairly sure they didn't try since they were pressed for time and had other things to resolve).  The second time - they say that this is "normal" for a C-Max but they are going to order a new compressor shroud to try to dampen the sound.  I have an appointment for Thursday for them to replace the shroud.  I am not hopeful that it will help...

Has anyone successfully identified the source of these sounds?  Do all C-Maxes have these sounds?  Has anyone actually made the sounds go away??

#15 OFFLINE   kostby

kostby

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 551 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Hybrid SE

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

Here are 'normal' sound recordings of my 2013 C-MAX SE, purchased new about 7 weeks ago. Hope they help you!

I recorded them (with my Canon point-and-shoot camera in 1080p HD video/stereo and then ripped the sounds to 96kbps mp3) in my closed garage, to avoid the noises you'd hear from my neighborhood at this time of day - lawnmowers, traffic, and so on. Because the garage was closed, the noises seem much louder than if you heard these same noises outdoors in a parking lot.

This is the sound of unlocking the car and the vacuum pump running briefly, recorded from outside the front of the car in my closed garage. Sometimes the vacuum pump runs longer. I think if you've just driven the car in the last few hours, you might not hear the vacuum pump at all, which would explain why the dealer could not find that sound.

Attached File  C-MAX unlock and Vacuum pump sound.mp3   21.8KB   29 downloads

This is the sound of the electric AC compressor running, recorded in my closed garage while standing outside the car.

Attached File  C-MAX electric AC compressor from outside car.mp3   56.99KB   37 downloads

This is the sound of the ventilation fan on at low speed and AC compressor recorded from inside the car with the car windows open (to be certain you can tell when the compressor is 'off' and 'on') in my closed garage. The AC compressor is running at the start, then switched off (fan still running), then back on.

Attached File  C-MAX electric AC compressor and fan from inside car on-off-on.mp3   157.28KB   26 downloads

EDIT: Here's a link to a Ford interactive image showing the location of many of the energy-saving devices on the 2013 C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid model. It might help you pinpoint the location and source of the sounds you hear. http://corporate.for...rification-phev

Edited by kostby, 19 May 2014 - 07:38 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 354 posts
  • LocationDearborn, Michigan
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Model T

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

Hi everybody.  This is now kind of an old thread, but hoping that there might be some interest in re-kindling this discussion.

I have a new-to-me 2013 C-Max SEL. Love the car.  We got it Ford Certified and it had 14,400 miles on it. We now have 20,000 miles on it and I've been struggling with this sound as well.  I'm hearing 2 different things ...

Has anyone successfully identified the source of these sounds?  Do all C-Maxes have these sounds?  Has anyone actually made the sounds go away??

jennifermehl,

Let me lend a hand with this. Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, and dealer info. I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

#17 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,722 posts
  • LocationTN
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

I have a new-to-me 2013 C-Max SEL. Love the car.  We got it Ford Certified and it had 14,400 miles on it. We now have 20,000 miles on it and I've been struggling with this sound as well.  I'm hearing 2 different things:

1) a buzzing sound when I get in the car (accessory mode starts up) before I turn on the ignition - I'm thinking this is the grill shutters moving?

2) a loud buzzing sound that starts when I turn on the ignition - very loud when the AC is turned on.  If I turn the AC off, the sound goes away.

I've brought my car to the dealer twice - the first time they claimed that they couldn't reproduce the sound (though I'm fairly sure they didn't try since they were pressed for time and had other things to resolve).  The second time - they say that this is "normal" for a C-Max but they are going to order a new compressor shroud to try to dampen the sound.  I have an appointment for Thursday for them to replace the shroud.  I am not hopeful that it will help...

I'd say 1) is the grille shutters.  It's easy to check.  Just look into the grille while someone gets in and starts the car.  You will see them moving when you hear the noise.

2) Yes, the a/c compressor is loud especially when it first starts up and you have the door open. But, what level of loudness is normal on startup?  Inside,  the car it's barely perceptible to me with the fan on. My buzzing sound does decrease in intensity after initial startup likely as the load on the compressor decreases and will stop if one turns the climate control off.  The question is when is the buzzing noise deemed "excessive" - whatever that means in the TSB.  I would say that if the loud buzzing noise continues (doesn't decrease) for a several minutes after initially starting the car, that might be excessive and the system is low on refrigerant or there's a restriction.  If low on refrigerant, the compressor has to continue to operate at a higher level to cool / keep the car cool than if the system had  the correct charge of refrigerant.  The dealer certainly can check for refrigerant leaks, evacuate the system, and recharge with the correct charge by weight.  

#18 OFFLINE   RobMax

RobMax

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Sterling Gray Metallic C-Max Hybrid SE

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:29 PM

Yes, the a/c compressor is loud especially when it first starts up and you have the door open. But, what level of loudness is normal on startup?  Inside,  the car it's barely perceptible to me with the fan on. My buzzing sound does decrease in intensity after initial startup likely as the load on the compressor decreases and will stop if one turns the climate control off.  The question is when is the buzzing noise deemed "excessive" - whatever that means in the TSB.  I would say that if the loud buzzing noise continues (doesn't decrease) for a several minutes after initially starting the car, that might be excessive and the system is low on refrigerant or there's a restriction.  If low on refrigerant, the compressor has to continue to operate at a higher level to cool / keep the car cool than if the system had  the correct charge of refrigerant.  The dealer certainly can check for refrigerant leaks, evacuate the system, and recharge with the correct charge by weight.  

Reviving this thread due to my recent issues and to add my own experience.

My 2013 Hybrid just started making this same whirring-almost-thumping noise behind the right front bumper whenever the A/C was turned on just a couple months ago, and it's only when the A/C is turned on.

Prior to this recent noise the A/C was absolutely silent. Noise is audible from outside the car quite a few feet away, and from inside the car with windows down, and can still hear just a bit with windows up. It continues to make this noise for at least a couple to a few minutes before it goes silent. A/C operation is unaffected whether it makes the noise or not. Am having the dealership check it out while it's in getting a grinding transmission noise looked into.

My wife's own 2014 C-Max Hybrid is also absolutely silent from a few feet away and from inside the car, even with window down, so having any type of noise like what kostby kindly recorded for us above is not normal at all (BTW, mine sounds exactly like that). I've never heard an A/C compressor, or whatever that noise is, be that loud on any other vehicle. And that includes my wife's identical (except for exterior color) C-Max.

Edited by RobMax, 26 October 2016 - 03:43 PM.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·