Use air compressor without the sealant goo?

rek

Can you use the air compressor (from under the front passenger seat) without the sealant goo? For instance, if a tire was not punctured but just low on air and needed pumped up a bit, or to inflate a basketball, or to inflate a bicycle tire ...

Right you are jdbob, thanks! I read the owner's manual about the compressor, but failed to comprehend how to use it without the sealant. I found the information on page 340 of my Energi manual.

Now that I know that I can use the air compressor by itself, I am planning on putting some of these in the car for use if there is just a puncture hole in the tread of the tire

812PmZEcZ7L. SL1500

Victor 22-5-60207-8 Plug & Go Tire Repair Kit

http://www.amazon.com/Victor-22-5-60207-8-Plug-Tire-Repair/dp/B00CRCQFXK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=247RTKVVLFNXU&coliid=I3SBZ4ZN10VW16

Here's my take on the plug and go repair kit cited above.

Can the plug be easily removed? I know reputable tire shops will not properly repair a tire with an inside parch if a string plug was inserted.

What I did with my C-Max when I had a small screw in my tire was to replace the small screw with a larger screw to stop the leak. I then drove 8 miles to a tire shop for a proper repair. If the above plug can be easily removed, then they are likely better than putting a larger screw to accomplish the same purpose.

• 1 month later...

plenty of wondering

Can you use the air compressor (from under the front passenger seat) without the sealant goo? For instance, if a tire was not punctured but just low on air and needed pumped up a bit, or to inflate a basketball, or to inflate a bicycle tire ...

Well yes - at least if you have more sense than SnowStorm!

Wife's bicycle tires needed air so I thought it would be good to "get familiar" with the TMK.  Got familiar with it all right! :rant: Took it out, unwrapped the cord (nice and long - that's good :)), plugged it in, found the hose (nice little cap on the end to keep dirt out?), screwed it on the tire.  Now what are all these stupid symbols - hate the bloody symbols :rant2: - been reading since I was in the first grade!  What's the little button, a light?  Oh yes, looks like the gauge IS illuminated!  Would really help at night (but I wouldn't be able to read the stinkin' symbols :rant: )!  And the big switch marked "Press"!  What is this anyway?  Alice in Wonderland?  There was plenty of wonderin' going on about then. :headscratch:  Looks like air on the left and a light on the right.  (Where's that light anyway?)  Went for "air" and hit the "power" button (only recognizable symbol on the crazy thing).  It roars to life, the hose turns white - white? - WHITE??? :gaah:

Sure glad that old 24x2.125 tire didn't have a TPMS sensor! :clapping: And bet her front tire won't be leaking any time soon! :victory:

Hit the power button real fast and unscrewed the hose.  White poisonous, latex infused, skin and respiratory traction (sic!) irritating, TPMS deactivating, tire valve clogging, clothes removal necessitating sealant runs all over my hand (no gloves!), the poor innocent tire, and the carport to-boot!  :sos:  The nearest sink showed it to be quite water soluble and a hose sent the stuff out the driveway and into the grass (hope ethylene glycol is a good fertilizer!).

And for an encore? - SnowStorm read the manual!

After which he recommends removing the canister, throwing it away and getting a separate can of sealant so no one can make the same mistake!  Or at least preset the "Press" switch to the right and add some TEXT (and maybe labels on the hoses)!

So here's your hobson's choice of the day:

(1) If you think the TMK stinks, call Ford and say:  "TMK stinks"!

(2) If you think SnowStorm is a bumbling idiot, call Ford and say:  "TMK stinks"! :lol2:

(PS You can't have more than 10 emoticons!)